In Search Of: A sparkly drivetrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

probertsqbe wrote:I used this method https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain when I was testing out the benefits of waxing on chains.

Are you still using this method? If you're not, care to say why?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

This year I jumped to moltenspeedwax and can't be happier. Not only is friction reduced, but the drivetrain cleanliness is second to none. I hate dirty chains and chainrings and the wax has basically limited this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:This year I jumped to moltenspeedwax and can't be happier. Not only is friction reduced, but the drivetrain cleanliness is second to none. I hate dirty chains and chainrings and the wax has basically limited this.

I am all set for the initial procedure to get up and running with the wax, but what are you doing for re-waxing? Are you washing the chain with anything (soap? solvent?) or do you just re-submerge it in the hot wax and go from there?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

BdaGhisallo wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:This year I jumped to moltenspeedwax and can't be happier. Not only is friction reduced, but the drivetrain cleanliness is second to none. I hate dirty chains and chainrings and the wax has basically limited this.

I am all set for the initial procedure to get up and running with the wax, but what are you doing for re-waxing? Are you washing the chain with anything (soap? solvent?) or do you just re-submerge it in the hot wax and go from there?

I have 2 road bikes and I bought 2 chains for each, so I have 1 always waxed and ready to go on the bike. I've switched chains 2 times so far since switching to the molten speed wax, each chain getting me about 500 or so miles before deciding to swap. The first time, I simply dropped the chain directly into the hot wax. The second time, I wiped it down with a pro-gold cleaner towel to take off the exterior stuff.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

BdaGhisallo wrote:
probertsqbe wrote:I used this method https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain when I was testing out the benefits of waxing on chains.

Are you still using this method? If you're not, care to say why?

It's a great method that I still use today. Like others have posted having two chains per bike makes the process much easier. This first few times I used this method I was amazed how much cleaner the chain was. The chain stays cleaner for longer as well.

I'm not using WAX as a lube anymore as it worked great in dry conditions but didn't last long in wet conditions and I got caught out a few times. For the UK climate I decided for me that wet lube works best. Others will no doubt disagree as chain lubes are one those topics that everyone has an opinion on.

F45

by F45

Two chains. One ready to go.

Pop off old chain, new chain goes on. Lubed with Rock n Roll Gold.

They last about 200 miles on my dusty roads before looking dirty. But can go much longer.

My drivetrains don't ever leave a tattoo.

glepore

by glepore

I strip my old wax in the us cleaner using purple degreaser, rinse, dry, rewax.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Ultrasonic cleaner works for me.

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

For those of you using ultrasonics, what's the method? Remove chain/cassette, dunk in solution (what do you use) and then pop it back on the bike?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

glepore

by glepore

Yes, but I rinse with water well after to avoid residual degreaser. A tip that I recently learned was to put the chain or cassette in a baggie with the solution, then put in a us cleaner filled with water. Makes cleanup easier. Probably overkill.

Dawn dishwashing detergent is a good cleaner, just a drop or two, but I really like 50/50 purple degreaser ($6/gallon at auto store on sale). Some folks use OMS, others worry about the flamability ( I don't, but wouldn't heat it with the heater in a good us).
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

peted76

by peted76

"ultrasonic parts cleaner" every day is a school day!
And this thing has cheered me up more than the Flemish rap song about Tom Boonen!

Thank you WW :)

uraqt

by uraqt

I use mop threads to clean the cassette and grunge brush for the chain and while it's not clean enough to eat off of, it is sparkly for sure. And I don't have to take anything apart

C

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

It seems there are two camps developing here...

1. The camp using standard wet lubes that is advocating for the regular various cleaners and degreasers including US cleaners.

and

2. Those of us that have switched to wax based chains and don't have the need to clean chains and gears.

glepore

by glepore

Not exactly Rich. I'm waxing, but stripping old wax or grunge off after 500 mi or so dry use with a us and cleaner. Its the method advocated by moltenspeedwax etc. Yes, you could just dump your chain in the wax without cleaning, but that's not necessarily optimal.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

glepore wrote:Not exactly Rich. I'm waxing, but stripping old wax or grunge off after 500 mi or so dry use with a us and cleaner. Its the method advocated by moltenspeedwax etc. Yes, you could just dump your chain in the wax without cleaning, but that's not necessarily optimal.

You're getting 500 miles of dry use out of one chain waxed with Molten?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com