In Search Of: A sparkly drivetrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Lots of options on eBay. All sellers seem to be selling the exact same cleaners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

I use Squirt, apply on each roller and let it dry from the previous day. Wipe chain after each ride with cloth or dry brush if there is gank built up, reapply every 300km without having to ever degrease or clean the chain completely so the wax builts up. Squirt repels dirt from the road so friction shouldn't increase over time I am guessing but hard to test.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

zefs wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 am
Squirt repels dirt from the road so friction shouldn't increase over time I am guessing but hard to test.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-ch ... you-money/ Boom, there you go. :thumbup: Testing of chains while subjected to contamination. Friction Facts/Velonews testing from a few years ago showed Squirt had very low friction when clean, and then this test addresses it's longevity and ability to repel contamination, both wet and dry.

zefs

by zefs

I've read those tests but not sure what to think. When I try to move the rollers of the waxed chain they don't move and the chain is sticky/dry(applied the day before and no ride). Maybe that's the outer coating though which protects the chain and the inner parts are correctly lubricated but shouldn't the rollers be moving by hand if that was the case? Meaning, it keeps the drivetrain clean and improves chain wair but is it efficient?

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

The detailed instructions on MSW step 18 is

Chain will be stiff initially, break in for 30 minutes before racing in temperatures above 20 F.; 60 minutes in temperatures below 20 F. If it’s a warm summer day a break in period of 20 minutes is adequate. Do not adjust derailleurs during break in period.

When I've used MSW it is stiff and not moving. That's because the wax has filled every crevice. The chain needs to be able to move side to side but this takes a little bit. It's also why they say don't adjust your derailleurs because the chain won't want to curve laterally until some of the wax has freed itself.

One of the things to note that this is similar to the bearing test a few years ago with "friction free bearings". AVE's frictionless bearing video is great... removed all the grease from the bearing and it acted exactly like these magical bearings making the rounds on mainstream media. When there is no load on a bearing or bushing, no lubrication seems to give the lowest friction, but when loaded that's a different case. Similar for chains. Just because you can flick around a roller with a light lube compared to a wax doesn't mean it'll be lower friction under load. It just means it's lower friction unloaded.

zefs

by zefs

I was talking about Squirt. Full wax method sounds better so I am guessing that's the way to go if you choose wax but for drip lube, oil might be more efficient. I am not sure how well the chain inners can be re lubricated when the wax dries and becomes sticky, it tends to repel liquids.
Last edited by zefs on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Anyone running Smoove yet?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

MikeD

by MikeD

Anyone notice that using a water based degreaser causes some rusting of the chain?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MikeD wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:33 pm
Anyone notice that using a water based degreaser causes some rusting of the chain?
OMS - Odorless mineral spirits is a pretty good chain cleaner. Hang it to dry and let the spirits evaporate and then re-lube. There's no need to use any water to clean your chain.

MikeD

by MikeD

BdaGhisallo wrote:
MikeD wrote:
OMS - Odorless mineral spirits is a pretty good chain cleaner. Hang it to dry and let the spirits evaporate and then re-lube. There's no need to use any water to clean your chain.
Yes but disposal is a problem and it gets dirty fast. Simple Green is biodegradable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MikeD wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Yes but disposal is a problem and it gets dirty fast. Simple Green is biodegradable.

If you pour it through a coffee filter to get out the solids you can re-use it and get years out of a 1 gal container of OMS.

boysa

by boysa

^+1. I also filter the OMS, and it lasts a LONG time.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am
Anyone running Smoove yet?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Jip. Been using for thousands of kilos.
Works brilliantly on the MTB. I've done a couple of stage races, 3 days, 7 days stuff and the it works extreamly well.

As for the road bike, I am undecided. Using Rock n Roll purpel.
For some reason the shifting does not feel 100% while running Smoov or Squirt on the road bike.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

MikeD

by MikeD

BdaGhisallo wrote:
MikeD wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
MikeD wrote:

If you pour it through a coffee filter to get out the solids you can re-use it and get years out of a 1 gal container of OMS.
I think I tried a paper coffee filter with OMS. It wouldn't flow through.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MikeD wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
MikeD wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

I think I tried a paper coffee filter with OMS. It wouldn't flow through.
That's odd - that's exactly what I use. One of the conical coffee filters inside the funnel stuck in the top of the OMS jug works a treat.