In Search Of: A sparkly drivetrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

WD-40.

For cleaning... lubing... WD-40.

Upside.... clean, chains last long-time.

Downside.... Apply and wipe on every ride... it ain't the greatest lubricant on the planet. For those "purists" whose pappy taught you "WD-40 isn't a lubricant" should show your pappy an MSDS. The main ingredient (that remains after the carrier evaporates) is "petroleum based oil".

JScycle

by JScycle

Patto wrote:Clean with turps and use squirt. This chain has 250km+ since clean.

Agreed, easy and cheap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

Patto wrote:Clean with turps and use squirt. This chain has 250km+ since clean.

Agreed, easy and cheap

BRM

by BRM

BikeAnon wrote:WD-40.

For cleaning... lubing... WD-40.

Upside.... clean, chains last long-time.

Downside.... Apply and wipe on every ride... it ain't the greatest lubricant on the planet. For those "purists" whose pappy taught you "WD-40 isn't a lubricant" should show your pappy an MSDS. The main ingredient (that remains after the carrier evaporates) is "petroleum based oil".

WD-40 was developed by the military in the 50s as a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. It quickly became a household item when people discovered it had thousands of other uses as a cleaner, rust-prevention agent, squeak-stopper and more. It also works wonders as a light lubricant on small items like hinges, locks, and toys.

Bicycle chains, on the other hand, are far too heavy and fast-moving for the lubricating power of WD-40 to have any effect at all. As a matter of fact, WD-40 will actually strip away any existing lubricant and leave your drivetrain dry - metal on metal. Basically, spraying this stuff on your chain is worse than using no lubricant at all!
http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

WD40 is not only a product but also a brand. These days they have a line of products for your bike too.
www.wd40bike.com/products

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

While what you write makes sense, from a "that makes sense" perspective... but I have put this to the test.

I'm one person, pretty small sample. WD-40 works. And it has kept my chains lasting longer than any other technique I've used.

And if you want some "internet rumor" to back me up... fast-forward to 4:30:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvzVRxlIUL0

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Anyone using R&R Holy Cow?
Using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Ultrasonic bath with water and laundry detergent. Better than the degreasers I've used (exception gasoline/diesel which has some obvious drawbacks)

Then isopropyl alcohol/mineral spirits bath, shake and leave overnight.

Chain is sparkly clean enough to eat off of.

Mineral spirits/alcohol also prevents chain from rusting while drying before the paraffin treatment.

/a

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

JackRussellRacing wrote:
AJS914 wrote:I can't believe how much work some of you are willing to do. I do cleaner-lube (rock n roll gold), wipe down once or twice a week. I wipe down the frame with quick detailer spray (car stuff) and my bike always looks clean with a minimum of fuss. Maybe twice a year I'll do a full wash with soap and water.

+1 on Rock-n-Roll. The longevity is pretty bad, but it keeps things clean (enough) for me.

Haha. That looks like a new chain and cassette. I also use Rock and Roll Gold but my drivetrain doesn't look anywhere close to that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

pdlpsher1 wrote:
JackRussellRacing wrote:
AJS914 wrote:I can't believe how much work some of you are willing to do. I do cleaner-lube (rock n roll gold), wipe down once or twice a week. I wipe down the frame with quick detailer spray (car stuff) and my bike always looks clean with a minimum of fuss. Maybe twice a year I'll do a full wash with soap and water.

+1 on Rock-n-Roll. The longevity is pretty bad, but it keeps things clean (enough) for me.

Haha. That looks like a new chain and cassette. I also use Rock and Roll Gold but my drivetrain doesn't look anywhere close to that!!

I'm a molten Speed Wax user and my drivetrain looks similarly clean.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

How many miles do you have on that cassette since the cassette was last cleaned? I don't ever clean my cassette and mine is all black. I have probably close to 10,000 miles on the cassette. I can guarantee you the type of lubricant doesn't make any difference. If you don't clean your cassette for 10,000 miles yours will look identical to mine.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

pdlpsher1 wrote:How many miles do you have on that cassette since the cassette was last cleaned? I don't ever clean my cassette and mine is all black. I have probably close to 10,000 miles on the cassette. I can guarantee you the type of lubricant doesn't make any difference. If you don't clean your cassette for 10,000 miles yours will look identical to mine.

That cassette has probably 1000 miles on it... hasn't ever been cleaned. I can guarantee you that the type of lubricant you use does make ALL the difference, but you can keep lying to yourself if you want.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Don't use too much lube and give it a quick wipe down after every ride.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How many km a chain between waxings?
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:How many miles do you have on that cassette since the cassette was last cleaned? I don't ever clean my cassette and mine is all black. I have probably close to 10,000 miles on the cassette. I can guarantee you the type of lubricant doesn't make any difference. If you don't clean your cassette for 10,000 miles yours will look identical to mine.

That cassette has probably 1000 miles on it... hasn't ever been cleaned. I can guarantee you that the type of lubricant you use does make ALL the difference, but you can keep lying to yourself if you want.
Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Nefarious86 wrote:How many km a chain between waxings?
CrankAddictsRich wrote:

I've been averaging about 800km. Friends have pushed further, up close to the 900km mark, but I've been changing as soon as I hear the hint of any noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

pdlpsher1 wrote:Am I the in the minority to think that too much cleaning can actually hurt the bike? As in water intrusion into bearings causing diluted grease and rust. Recently I discovered that the non-drive side of my Praxis BB converter had a damaged bearing. I removed the seal and the bearing was dry. I see grease on the other side, opposite of the seal side. And it appears the grease has been pushed out by water. Now I use a wet rag to wipe down the bike. I stopped using soap and water.

it happened to me once when I put too much degreaser to chainrings and cassette and overflowed to BB and Rear Hub. That caused the grease wash out and then died...

Never use too much degreaser at places where bearings sit.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10