Campagnolo Record RD top pivot assembly service, pre 2015?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

I have a 2010 11s Record rear mech that has a circlip holding the mounting bolt spring assembly together. You just remove the clip and it comes apart. I also have a newer all black version that has no circlip but instead has a Torx 30 recess in what looks like some kind of cap. Are these versions serviceable? Does the cap unscrew from the mounting bolt? Looking at the parts diagram this appears to be the case but neither the cap or the bolt have a part number. Thanks

BRM

by BRM

Think you can find here an answer how to do it. >>
viewtopic.php?t=94308

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

Pre-2015 easily user servicable. 2015 and newer is not intended to be user serviceable as it uses a 2-piece pivot bolt that is supposed to be set at service center, however, there are a couple threads here that illustrate how to take bolt apart. Will seek thread and post later...

ferrarista

by ferrarista

The service center drills out the old bolt and puts a new bolt assembly with a special Campy tool. On the exploded view it is written that it has to be changed by service center.

You could always use the titanium bolt from 2009-2010 SR and then you could put it back together with C-clip. You will gain some weight though. Some aftermarket companies also make one piece bolt in aluminum.
██

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

ferrarista wrote:The service center drills out the old bolt and puts a new bolt assembly with a special Campy tool. On the exploded view it is written that it has to be changed by service center.

You could always use the titanium bolt from 2009-2010 SR and then you could put it back together with C-clip. You will gain some weight though. Some aftermarket companies also make one piece bolt in aluminum.

The full procedure is to also check that after fitting the new bolt, the RD is actually perpendicular (within the tolerance) to the bolt - this in done with a stud bolted into a surface plate that allows the RD to be mounted, with the pivot bolt accurately at 90 degrees to the surface of the surface plate - the RD is then rotated about the pivot bolt and the distance from the surface plate to the tip of the cage is checked at several points to establish that the surface plate and the locus of the cage are co-planar.

Re-using the bolt as suggested in the thread referenced above risks several problems including later failure of the bolt and the fact that the bolt may distort, leading to the lack of co-planar movement and poor shifting ... the SCs are also generally in the position to use oversize o-rings to correct any "slop" that may have developed as a result of wear and tear and will do this as part of any replacement process.

Certainly in the case of SR, given the cost of a derailleur and the possible adverse consequences of a bolt failure, I'd advise getting a SC to do the job and do it correctly. I'm all for people looking at how to work on anything, bicycles, cars, aeroplanes, whatever, themselves - but there really are some jobs that it's advisable, unless you have all the information and all the tools / possible spare parts that you *might* need, to leave to those that are in a position to do the job "by the book" ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

wilwil

by wilwil

As in my post, I am referring to pre 2015. There are two kinds though: the early ones with a circlip and the later ones that have torx 30 recess in them. I understand that post 2015 aren't meant to be touched.

wilwil

by wilwil

Okay, the link provided by BRM is the vintage I am referring too. It needs a special tool. What was wrong with the bolt and circlip? I have used all three versions of 11 speed and there is no difference in performance so why change it?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

wilwil wrote:As in my post, I am referring to pre 2015. There are two kinds though: the early ones with a circlip and the later ones that have torx 30 recess in them. I understand that post 2015 aren't meant to be touched.

You are mistaking. 2009-2010 was titanium with c-clip for super record and steel for record. From 2011 they started using the two piece aluminum bolt.

Why? Because its lighter.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com