Help choosing new bike - Felt FR, Focus Paralane, BMC Roadmachine 02, Cannondale Supersix, Trek Domane SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NJCyclist

by NJCyclist

I’m turning 40 this year and want to replace my current 2007 Look 595 (XXL). I’ve come to realize that the 595 is either slightly undersized for me or the wrong geometry (I'm 6'4"). I have an 84cm saddle height and several cm of saddle-to-bar drop, but I still need to run 30mm of spacers under the stem.

Separately, I’d like a new bike with the newest technologies. In particular, I want disc brakes for the improved modulation and because they eliminate clearance issues for bigger tires. I also would like Di2 for improved shifting.

Usage will be general riding, group rides, grand fondos and the occasional hill climb race and road bike time trial. I will not be doing any crits or stage races.

Having studied geometries, I’ve narrowed it down to a list composed of some traditional race and endurance models. I’d appreciate peoples’ thoughts and feedback on the bikes I listed below. Also, I’d like to know if people think that the endurance models will be slower than the race bikes (I don’t think so given that my body position should be identical. So here’s the list:

Felt FR – Size 61
Pros: Good geometry; price is in my sweet spot; available as a frameset
Cons: Geo would require 5-10mm of spacers; very limited reviews, so some uncertainty as to ride/handling qualities.

Focus Paralane – Size XXL
Pros: Perfect geometry; Can take tires up to 35mm; Ultegra mechanical model reasonably priced, allowing me to refit exactly what I want within my budget
Cons: Would require me to retrofit Udi2 parts to replace mechanical; limited availability

BMC Roadmachine 02 Ultegra – Size 61

Pros: Geometry can work; Positive reviews
Cons: Talk of slipping proprietary seatpost; Geo works with taller headset cap, which I think isn’t aesthetically pleasing; Pricey – at the top of my budget.

Cannondale Supersix HiMod – Size 63
Pros: Perfect geometry; I’ve ridden a rim-brake version and liked ride/handling
Cons: I don’t like the factory builds and framesets appear to be difficult to find; QR versus thru-axle in rear; Pricey – near the top of my budget

Trek Domane SLR – Size 62
Pros: Positive reviews; Readily available
Cons: Geo is very short and tall – I’d have to run a -17 stem; Pricey – near the top of my budget
Co-Founder SmrT Hydration
https://smrthydration.com/
https://www.facebook.com/smrthydration
#saddlebagssuck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

How can a Paralane and a Suprersix both be perfect geometry. Isn't the Paralane more endurance like?

If you need a stack of spacers on the look in XXL than most likely you will be happier with endurance geometry. Some of these bikes do come up short but don't be afraid to size down and go with a long stem to get your fit. The nice thing about this approach is that if offsets some of sluggish handling that these bike often possess. For example, I think a Domane SLR would be nice but not in a size 62. At 183 cm/6 feet, I would ride a 56 with a 130 or 140 stem. (Although I think that super low bottom bracket might not be to my liking.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

:oops: double post.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

NJCyclist

by NJCyclist

Mr.Gib wrote:How can a Paralane and a Suprersix both be perfect geometry. Isn't the Paralane more endurance like?

If you need a stack of spacers on the look in XXL than most likely you will be happier with endurance geometry. Some of these bikes do come up short but don't be afraid to size down and go with a long stem to get your fit. The nice thing about this approach is that if offsets some of sluggish handling that these bike often possess. For example, I think a Domane SLR would be nice but not in a size 62. At 183 cm/6 feet, I would ride a 56 with a 130 or 140 stem. (Although I think that super low bottom bracket might not be to my liking.)

Here's how the geometries of both the Paralane (XXL) and Supersix (63) can be perfect.

Paralane XXL Reach: 404 Stack: 630
Supersix 63 Reach: 411 Stack 626

Extremely close and I can go with a 120 stem on the Paralane vs a 110 on the Supersix. Stack is virtually identical. Thus, the "race" and "endurance" monikers don't mean much in terms of fit. I think the handling will be different in that the Paralane has a longer wheelbase and more slack head tube angle.
#saddlebagssuck

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Not much to add here but reviews for the new FR seem to be fairly positive and a lot of bike for the value. Much more agreeable but still good quick geometry. One easy factor to rule it out is if you have an opposition to brake placement.
Just ride ..

BRM

by BRM

You need to learn more about the difference between Performance vs Endurance bikes.
Something with apples and pears.

Do you want a fast responding racer or more a plush bike that is more relaxed for longer rides.
map your expectations in handling first before you choose a direction. (that is what you need to do choosing direction)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

NJCyclist wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:How can a Paralane and a Suprersix both be perfect geometry. Isn't the Paralane more endurance like?

Here's how the geometries of both the Paralane (XXL) and Supersix (63) can be perfect.

Paralane XXL Reach: 404 Stack: 630
Supersix 63 Reach: 411 Stack 626

Extremely close and I can go with a 120 stem on the Paralane vs a 110 on the Supersix. Stack is virtually identical. Thus, the "race" and "endurance" monikers don't mean much in terms of fit. I think the handling will be different in that the Paralane has a longer wheelbase and more slack head tube angle.

I see. However I have a philosophy that stems should be to scale - big bikes should be fitted with appropriately long stems. I appreciate we all need to do what we must to get our fit, but if you are putting a 110 stem on a 63 Super Six than I suggest it is not the ideal geometry for you. What happens if as you age you want to be a little more upright and the bars a bit closer? You haven't got a lot to play with. At your size IMO it is better to find stack that allows you to run no more that 20 mm of spacers and at least a 120 stem, 130 or 140 even better.

FWIW I went through the same process as you. I needed geometry that wasn't too aggressive I but wasn't willing to settle for an endurance bike. I still wanted racy and light. I ended up settling on a Parlee Altum - very light and very racy. You should check the geometry for reference. It comes in disc but the problem is that it will kill any reasonable budget.

I have an overall aversion to the various "endurance" and "all-road" models that are flooding the market. That is that they are battleship heavy. Even when spec'd with absolute top parts, they are not light. Part of it is that they mostly only come with discs which add a pound, and also the frames are heavy, rarely utilizing the lightest carbon layups.

njyeti

by njyeti

I own both a Felt FR and a Cannondale Himod Evo. For the money, the FR can't be beat. Both are responsive, comfortable race bikes. I find the Evo to be marginally smoother and the FR to be a bit faster steering. Go for the FR....

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

110mm stem is way too short for bikes this size. 130-140mm would be your best choice imho.

NJCyclist

by NJCyclist

All, thank you for the responses. What advantage does a 130-140 stem get me? It would slow down the steering some, and give me room to come in closer as I age, but anything else? I've got fine flexibility and even a 120 would allow me to come in 10 to 20 if necessary.
#saddlebagssuck

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

better handling, more predictable steering.

and short stems are ridiculous looking on large frames.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

+1 stem to scale please!

my 100mm stem even look a little bit short on my size 49 bike which has stack=511, reach=378.
it would look real short on your stack=626, reach= 411 frame.

wingguy

by wingguy

The Supersix has a quite non-linear geometry chart. The 63 is a lot taller with a touch more reach than a 60 - it's very similar to a lot of huge endurance bikes. Vs the Paralane, where a 54 vs M are totally different, an XXL and a 63 are only around half a cm different in reach and stack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wingguy wrote:

The Supersix has a quite non-linear geometry chart. The 63 is a lot taller with a touch more reach than a 60 - it's very similar to a lot of huge endurance bikes. Vs the Paralane, where a 54 vs M are totally different, an XXL and a 63 are only around half a cm different in reach and stack.

Neat - that's great for the big guys with bad backs. (Still needs a proper size stem on it though.)