Canyon SLX Disc mechanical frame Di2 conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Hi all,

I have a Canyon Endurace CF SLX mechanical frame. Has anybody tried conversion to di2? According to Canyon not possible (he said that thin cables plug into something which you can not pass through the shifting holes in the frame)..so the only option for electronic seems eTap. Or..?

If not possible, is the new dura ace a game changer? The junction box can go to handlebars, is there a way to lead cables inside the frame? Sorry, not a technical type.

I am just deciding whether to put mechanical Force groupset on my frame or wait for the new electronic ultegra..(currently there is "something" from my exbike). if there is no way to lead the di2 cables without drilling holes into the frame (don´t want to take the risk) it makes no sense to wait.

Thanks a lot!

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Not possible without drilling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

thanks! With the new dura ace and different position of junction box the same situation? I mean if I put battery in the seatpost and junction box into the handlebar, no way to connect the cables inside the frame?

stien

by stien

Are there holes in the frame to pass cables through? You need at least one hole at the front to run a wire down, another at the FD area, then another at the RD area. If no, then there's your answer.

bbqpork

by bbqpork

Sell your current bike and buy the new one with di2

hannawald

by hannawald

stien wrote:Are there holes in the frame to pass cables through? You need at least one hole at the front to run a wire down, another at the FD area, then another at the RD area. If no, then there's your answer.

Not sure how you mean it. There are holes for standard cables. But according to Canyon (and confirmed by kkibbler) that is not enough for DI2 setup.

hannawald

by hannawald

bbqpork wrote:Sell your current bike and buy the new one with di2

not worth:) it is quite new, it is still possible to run eTap. I just want to know my options, mainly if new dura ace 9100 system is possible..

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

Yes its always possible. If there are holes for mechanical cables, there are paths for Di2 wires. You just need to be creative on your junction box placement and wire routing. And if all else fails get out the drill.

hannawald

by hannawald

DeeHubbs wrote:Yes its always possible. If there are holes for mechanical cables, there are paths for Di2 wires. You just need to be creative on your junction box placement and wire routing. And if all else fails get out the drill.

Thanks..I would like to try electronic, but not at any cost..The frame is under warranty so I don´t want to drill it..

There is no problem with junction box with the new dura ace style (9100) di2 - junction box fits into the handlebar. It is the cables and the way they connect together..

I would like to know, if the new dura ace changed the situation..i know there is a junction box which fits into the handlebar, but can you connect the cables or the plugs for the cables are too thick to get them into the frame..

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

hannawald wrote:According to Canyon not possible (he said that thin cables plug into something which you can not pass through the shifting holes in the frame)..so the only option for electronic seems eTap. Or..?

Why make a simple thing difficult? Shimano, unlike Campy, was smart enough to provide an external mounting kit. No reason to risk trashing a frame with holes it wasn't designed for. Better still, run mechanical.

madik

by madik

kkibbler wrote:Not possible without drilling.

Where is the drilling required? To connect FD? Can't just use the sane hole behind BB as used for mechanical shifting cable?
Can't see where else could be a problem.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

srshaw

by srshaw

Etap?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

There is no hole at the front of the bike big enough to pass thru the ~5mm diameter plug on a Di2 cable.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If you can still find the old external wiring kit for the ultegra Di2 6770 , then it probably can work without any modifications to the frame. But the battery firmware might pose some issues.

But its mostly just neat tape and accessories, so if you're up to the DIY tasks, you can build your own external wiring kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Why not use a file, or dremel or for that matters, starting off with a small drill and then sizing up?
If you don't need to drill new holes, you'd just need to make those you have larger.
Only thing you need to look out for is that it won't crack around the holes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.