Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:30 pm 

kkibbler wrote:
There is no hole at the front of the bike big enough to pass thru the ~5mm diameter plug on a Di2 cable.

is it necessary? i mean you can not use other holes, for example the big one at the bottom of the bottom bracket or at the front the one for hydraulic cable?

thanks a lot, it is really helpful. i dont want to drill the frame, it is under warranty. although di2 would be very nice, i can live with mechanic and there is always etap for the future. i have never seen di2 mounting, people are just telling me they have seen di2 on frames with very small holes at the front.. they say there is always a way it just means more work.. but guys from Canyon told me it is not possible and kkibbler confirmed so they probably know what they say.. my experience is that if they havent tried they say not supported. not possible means not possible, but would like to know for sure before i give up..

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 pm 

It's possible, but there's damage to the frame.
Just relaxed and e tap is good for mental health!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:58 pm 

shineplus wrote:
It's possible, but there's damage to the frame.
Just relaxed and e tap is good for mental health!

Etap is not good for my wallet:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:44 pm 

I have an Endurace slx that came stock with DI2. I can tell you, the only thing you need is to cut a sleeve in the rubber grommet where your hydrolic housing enters the frame at front. And you have to route the Di2 wire first, and than install the hydrolic housing, because there is not enough room for the 5mm connection to pass between frame and hydrolic housing. That is my next upgrade to clean up the wires. Currently, the Di2 wire enters the frame in the same place as the shift cable in your mech. frame. For the remaining, I 'm pretty sure can use all the other existing holes to route your Di wires and end up with a clean install. Good luck :thumbup:

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 pm 

Thank you so much for "insider" info! When do you plan to do your wires cleaning?
Btw you have a very nice Endurace build (maybe 25mm tubeless tyres would be my choice:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 am 

Delorre any updates on cleaning up di2 cable routing?
I'm currently trying to decide between electric and mechanical Canyon Endurace frameset. If di2 connector is cut off, then di2 wire could probably go through hole for mechanical cable and after that di2 connector could be reattached to di2 wire.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:19 am 

Bumping this topic up...I have an Aeroad mechanical frame on which I want to install Di2. I know eTap is an option but would prefer di2. I'm guessing running the battery internal may not be possible (since that would need holes in the frame to route the wires, right?) - would external battery work? Will the situation be any different with the 8000 series Ultegra Di2?

I'd really appreciate any advice/help! Needless to say, I'd like to avoid drilling the frame.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:03 am 

@kauphy Why don't you just cut Di2 wire, pass it through mechanical cable frame hole and reconnect wire with connector again (of course, make it weatherproof using hot glue or heat shrink tube)? Di2 wire is 15-20€ and frame is a lot more :) There are Shimano or Canyon rubber grommets that can be used in this case too.

@Delorre I've got Endurance CF SL non mechanical frame version and I did run Di2 cable with hydraulic brake hose. I had to cut rubber grommet to be able to put it back in, around brake hose and Di2 wire.