Aero test. Trek Madone, Venge, Cervleo S5, Giant Propel & Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Reading the article, I see that the rider rode at 380 watts which resulted in 45-48km/hr. The results are shown in aero watts.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

wingguy wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:Specialized put a lot of effort into those goofy bars, obviously with an emphasis on riding hoods (where people spend most of their time). And this demonstrates they were reasonably successful.

How do you figure that?

Because they're tied for the fastest while riding on the hoods.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Unfortunately this is meaningless. The difference between a rider sitting up an inch higher or with his elbows out an inch is probably more than the difference between the best and worst bike. Sure the bikes may have been set up close to each other but there doesn't seem to be proper control for the rider position. It's got be done with a dummy.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Maybe it was - have you met the rider? ;)

But seriously, how is guesstimating the effect of sitting up one more inch more accurate than this test? Seems like a hypocritical way to invalidate the article.

Not sure why this article can't just be fun. Having someone RIDE the bikes around and compare the differences seems more valuable to most people who also ride. I don't come across too many dummies out on the road.

Well, on second thought...

kgt

by kgt

Sure the article is fun. It proves that sitting an inch higher or having elbows out an inch or sneezing or turning the head sideways or getting something from the back pocket... all these affect the aero performance more than the frame itself.

esta

by esta

The only thing that test proves is that cyclingweekly has no clue how to perform tests

kidrob

by kidrob

kgt wrote:It proves that sitting an inch higher or having elbows out an inch or sneezing or turning the head sideways or getting something from the back pocket... all these affect the aero performance more than the frame itself.

This! Also
Each bike was ridden at a target power of 380 Watts.
and a speed of roughly 45-48kph
which you can never control as it always depends on the driver, too. Looking at the close numbers, even the smallest deviation would have "serious" impact on the overall test results, too.

Shrike

by Shrike

kidrob wrote:
kgt wrote:It proves that sitting an inch higher or having elbows out an inch or sneezing or turning the head sideways or getting something from the back pocket... all these affect the aero performance more than the frame itself.

This! Also
Each bike was ridden at a target power of 380 Watts.
and a speed of roughly 45-48kph
which you can never control as it always depends on the driver, too. Looking at the close numbers, even the smallest deviation would have "serious" impact on the overall test results, too.

Can you give a breakdown of how the 'smallest deviation' would have a 'serious impact' on these test results specifically?

wingguy

by wingguy

Imaking20 wrote:
wingguy wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:Specialized put a lot of effort into those goofy bars, obviously with an emphasis on riding hoods (where people spend most of their time). And this demonstrates they were reasonably successful.

How do you figure that?

Because they're tied for the fastest while riding on the hoods.

Sure, but it was only one watt away from the bike it was tied with, when in the drops. And it was 7 watts slower than that bike in the 'aero hoods' position. So if you are giving any credence to the results of this test your conclusion should be that Specialized somehow *f##k* up the bars when it comes to riding fast in the hoods.

Besides which the whole point of the goofy bars was providing a greater range of positions while using minimal spacers. While the spacers would be less aero than the rise in the bar, there's no reason it would make riding in the hoods more better than riding in the drops or any other position.

wingguy

by wingguy

Imaking20 wrote:Not sure why this article can't just be fun.

Because the results are ridiculous :lol:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

You're the guy it's pointless to argue with, right?

wingguy

by wingguy

Imaking20 wrote:You're the guy it's pointless to argue with, right?

I'm sorry, are you for real?

You claim that the Specialized handlebar system must work really well because the Vias just tested fast in the hoods. I point out that its delta to the Madone is only 1 watt better in the normal hoods* compared to drops and 7 watts worse in the aero hoods position and you come back with "It's pointless arguing with you"? Yes, if your reasoning is that poor and you're unwilling to re-evaluate your ideas when you're unable to defend them then it is pointless arguing with me :roll:

* Never mind that the testers themselves say this is within the margin of error for the test.

BRM

by BRM

It's pointless to argue about this test anyway.
The approach to see this test as fun is also wrong. A test has nothing to do with fun is it?

It's obvious this test was published to draw readers to cycling weekly. (marketingreasons)
This test is stupid and has a setup that is not precise at all. (every intelligent person should notice)
Discussion of the results are for people that are or blind or for those that have really nothing else to do.
Aero on roadrace bikes are overrated anyway. The influance on a road race or road trip can be ignored.
Aero related components for road race bikes are mainly to bring something new to consumers in a way that it triggers sales for manufacturers.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

wingguy wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:You're the guy it's pointless to argue with, right?

I'm sorry, are you for real?

You claim that the Specialized handlebar system must work really well because the Vias just tested fast in the hoods. I point out that its delta to the Madone is only 1 watt better in the normal hoods* compared to drops and 7 watts worse in the aero hoods position and you come back with "It's pointless arguing with you"? Yes, if your reasoning is that poor and you're unwilling to re-evaluate your ideas when you're unable to defend them then it is pointless arguing with me :roll:

* Never mind that the testers themselves say this is within the margin of error for the test.

You are reading way too much into this... and maybe twisting a bit to suit your argument. I never said the "handlebar system must work really well". I also never suggested the Vias bars were great (see: goofy). Their choice of integration looks more strange than Trek - but both appear to be somewhat effective.

I'm actually not a fan of the Vias (I ride for a Specialized shop and still avoid it) so let's not make it out like I'm trying to defend one brand over another. Rather than argue about the couple watts difference between the majority of the bikes in the majority of the positions - I think this test shows the differences are so minor that most of the top aero bikes are quite competitive to one another... so no need riding something that looks goofy.

Again, what I actually appreciate about this test is that it brings an element of reality not seen in a wind tunnel - the bikes are actually being ridden. Now, considering there's no appreciable YAW to consider, who knows what that's worth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

esta

by esta

I don't really get how you guys can be arguing about the performances between bikes.
There is a +10% difference between Bikes, thats far off from what was to be expected, probably caused by not having the "same" Riderposition at all. They published this nonsense without even mentioning that massive gap to the Giant.

For something way better and more informativ check out http://bikeblather.blogspot.de/2015/10/ ... art-2.html