Sworks Power saddle tear down?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Pugrot

by Pugrot

Spent 14 months on the 143mm sworks power before cracking the shell, out of warranty so now getting used to a 155m Stealth Carbon.

Had quite a few saddle sores along the ridge line of the cut-out on the power, put up with them because never went numb and only started to get pretty sore after 160km+ rides.

So far the stealth has allowed saddle sores to heal, and as above is nice and wide up front so allows riding 'on the nose' quite happily. It's a bit flatter so still getting used to that but overall bum is happier on stealth after 2 weeks/800km.

jlok

by jlok

Just mounted and rode to cafe, not yet been to serious ride. The feeling of the wide nose is similar to Tritone.

Pro Stealth Carbon 176g

It's how it look from above when mounted. Need asssssaver??

Pretty bad comparison photo with Tritone 5.5 (263g), but you get the idea. Tritone could push your hip much forward if you require so.

by Weenie

TomHelly

by TomHelly

@Pugrot
Funny you mention cracking your Power, I just found a crack in my 143mm S-Works shell too! Mine is about 2 years old, crack visible underneath at the thinnest part of the shell (mid cutout). Classic Specialized carbon saddle to fail after 1-2 years, I think this is my third one! Now to track down a Stealth carbon 142mm...

@jlok
Do you run the Tritone on TT and Stealth on roadie now? I have Tritone 5.5 on TT and as mentioned above, moving to Stealth on roadie now too :)

@Bianchi10
ergots's suggestion is a good one if you want quality work. If you ride your S-Works Power long enough the shell will get softer/saggy and possibly crack eventually...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

That is a very wide nose. :shock:

I think I will try SQlab 612 first https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/ergow ... ive-saddle
Positive feedback viewtopic.php?t=140438

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jlok

by jlok

@TomHelly
I have been using Tritone on RB 'cos I dun want to invest on a tri bike for just one single ironman event, yet I wanted to use clip-on aerobars, so I needed the Tritone to push my hip forward and got used to it eventually.

Now I got a new bike and wish to cut the weight.... so I think saddles like Power or Stealth could be a good compromise. I specifically chosen the wide option (155mm wide vs 145 on Tritone 5.5) so that even the widest point of the saddle is aft of Tritone a few cm, hopefully the wider width of the Stealth saddle actually push me a bit forward to have the same feeling of Tritone 5.5.

not proven, I just think it could work like imagined. maybe they are all crap and just excuse for me to weenie my bike ;)

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Bianchi10 wrote:Has anyone torn down a power saddle that would be able to give some information on a sufficient way to possibly swap the padding? Seems to me, it would just be held on with glue?

I've torn apart a couple of saddles. I prefer to use heat moldable Acor Microcel Puff EVA Foam and I've then used 3M carbon dinoc cover.

For a more standard saddle, I just pulled the pleather and foam off, but note that the pleather cover is often toast once you've done this. the Acor foam comes in different densities and thickness. I've done a double layer using contact cement and it worked well. I use a dremel to shape the foam. On one saddle, I wanted to level off the shapely back and was able to glue in extra foam and then shave it away so that the saddle was more level.

But, more interestingly, I worked with Simmons (shoes) and sent him a saddle to mold and then it was customizes in terms of length, etc.. Simmons chopped the carbon/kevlar rails off of a Dash Tri.7 saddle and attached them to this custom shell.

benzebub

by benzebub

a bit off topic, but I'm calling out to the people who own the Pro stealth saddle:

I currently ride a Specialized Toupe but I'm thinking of buying a new saddle. contenders are the Pro stealth and the Brooks Cambium C13 158. can anyone compare these saddles?

It seems the Pro's rails are quite short, did you have trouble with seatpost setback?
But I could be wrong

evan326

by evan326

benzebub wrote:a bit off topic, but I'm calling out to the people who own the Pro stealth saddle:

I currently ride a Specialized Toupe but I'm thinking of buying a new saddle. contenders are the Pro stealth and the Brooks Cambium C13 158. can anyone compare these saddles?

It seems the Pro's rails are quite short, did you have trouble with seatpost setback?

Can I piggyback on this question? I have the 143mm s works toupe, which size would be comparable?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

evan326 wrote:
benzebub wrote:a bit off topic, but I'm calling out to the people who own the Pro stealth saddle:

Can I piggyback on this question? I have the 143mm s works toupe, which size would be comparable?

You are comparing apples and oranges :D I recommend you try SQlab 612. It's a fantastic saddle. You can get saddle kit from https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/free-sqlab-ft-kit
SQlab thread viewtopic.php?t=140438

Semi-curved profile - Specialized Toupe
Semi-curved profile - Specialized Power
Curved profile - Specialized Romin
Curved profile - Brooks Cambium C13 158
Flat profile - Shimano Pro Stealth
Flat profile - SQlab 612
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

evan326

by evan326

mpulsiv wrote:
You are comparing apples and oranges :D
Flat profile - SQlab 612

I'm sure. I was asking because I've seen a ton of people talking about the power, and was curious, thinking the shimano was a cheaper version. You're probably one of the best to ask, what is the main difference between the toupe and power? The romin and toupe are just about the same except for the romin is longer and slightly curved right? From what I understand the power is flat, but just shorter? I love my toupe, I guess I may be trying to look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I also don't understand what you mean with this little chart above? Assuming you are listing comparable saddles, makes me think again. What makes the toupe and power different?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

evan326 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
You are comparing apples and oranges :D
Flat profile - SQlab 612

I'm sure. I was asking because I've seen a ton of people talking about the power, and was curious, thinking the shimano was a cheaper version. You're probably one of the best to ask, what is the main difference between the toupe and power? The romin and toupe are just about the same except for the romin is longer and slightly curved right? From what I understand the power is flat, but just shorter? I love my toupe, I guess I may be trying to look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I also don't understand what you mean with this little chart above? Assuming you are listing comparable saddles, makes me think again. What makes the toupe and power different?

No, Toupe, Romin and Power are far from being similar. See my list above based on saddle profile (e.g. semi-curved, curved).

*Power saddle is semi-curved and very wide all way to the nose. I found it uncomfortable due to thigh rub. Shimano Pro saddle is also wide all the way to the nose but it's flatter.
*Romin is curved. Every time you go from semi-curved to curved, you need to increase width. In other word, if you like Toupe 143mm, then Romin must be 155mm.
*Toupe saddle is far from flat thus 142mm is narrow for an average rider.

Most riders buy saddles that are too narrow for their sit bones. Average rider sit bones is ~130mm wide, ideally you'd want to add 10mm as a bare minimum. In other word, average rider should be on ~140mm saddle with flat profile. Selection is limited when it comes to flat profile saddles. I assure you that standard 142mm Toupe saddle it too narrow for an average rider.
Based on direct experience, I settled on Romin 155mm and SQlab 612 (non-active) 140mm https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/saddl ... ive-saddle ~180 grams
Ideal saddle should be wide enough to support your sit bones and and narrow at the nose. I suggest you get a free saddle kit to measure your sit bones https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/free-sqlab-ft-kit

evan326

by evan326

I had the 143mm toupe recommended to me while I was getting my fit done at a specialized shop. I sat on their little gel pad thing and he measured me.
Thanks for explaining the differences more. So the power is semi curved, like the toupe, but has a shorter and wider nose? I'm just more curious than anything, thanks

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

mpulsiv wrote: Most riders buy saddles that are too narrow for their sit bones. Average rider sit bones is ~130mm wide, ideally you'd want to add 10mm as a bare minimum. In other word, average rider should be on ~140mm saddle with flat profile. Selection is limited when it comes to flat profile saddles. I assure you that standard 142mm Toupe saddle it too narrow for an average rider.

Is there a study you can point to (not kidding, just interested and curious in data)?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

evan326 wrote:I had the 143mm toupe recommended to me while I was getting my fit done at a specialized shop. I sat on their little gel pad thing and he measured me.
Thanks for explaining the differences more. So the power is semi curved, like the toupe, but has a shorter and wider nose? I'm just more curious than anything, thanks

They measure the width between the sit bones, which is the right way to do this. However, they offer a saddle that is typically too narrow. Toupe is the most popular saddle but it's far from flat. Instead of 142mm, consider 155mm. Wider is always better than narrow.
Power saddle runs wider than Toupe in the same size.

by Weenie

evan326

by evan326

Well if I'm not having any issues with soreness that should mean that 143mm isn't too narrow for me right? I've been on this saddle for nearly a year.