* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Strange Di2 problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 pm 

cyclespeed wrote:
Stueys wrote:
I've had this happen once to me (brilliantly mid-way around the maratona route), 9070, the gears just went completely dead on me.

Can you remember if it was after a long period of no gear changes (i.e. 5 mins +) or was it just sudden?

Hmmm, it was straight after stopping for espresso. Could well have been the first gear change after the stop, if not certainly no more than 1-2 mins after stopping.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 pm 

So to come back to this!

Just came back to Majorca for another tour and on the first day, guess what? After coffee stop the problem is back!

Exactly the same - totally dead Di2. But after 3 or 4 minutes it comes back to life and is then fine.

So managed to get to the bike shop that changed the battery and told them it wasn't the battery! So back on their PCE-1 and everything checks out fine.

Unless I can get the bike to them when it's dead, not much they can do, but I only have a 4 minute window to do that!

So I reckon the only component that can be doing this is the EW90 control box. Nothing else has a 'brain'. I would have bought and fitted an RS910 if they'd had one in stock, but no.

So this thing continues and no doubt tomorrow it'll happen again. Unless I can shift the gears a few times during lunch that is....

Cycling related videos and reviews

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 am 

you're going to be a couple of hundred into this before all is said and done! What a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am 

I had a similar problem, one of the ports on my internal junction box somehow got an intermittent fault, unfortunately it was the port my battery was connected to so the whole system would crap out every now and again. Switched the box for £20 and everything is fine now.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:47 pm 

Got a very similar issue. Not sure it relates to stopping though. Just goes dead from time to time.

Ultegra version with external battery. I thought I'd sussed it out when I plugged the battery cable into a different bike and it worked. So replaced the battery harness expecting a fix. No.

Then noticed the cable to harness connection wasn't good on the cable side of things. Do took out BB and replaced cable. Also replaced the old one Junction A style with the more recent 3 port junction.

Works fine, then doesn't. I didn't fully check the other connections on the junction B when I had it apart. I'm thinking last chance is the A-B cable at the B end of things. At the end of what I think I can do other than buying a complete new system.

Like Cyclespeed says, unless I can get it to the shop when it is in the "dead" phase there is not a lot they can diagnose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 am 

Just wondering if this was solved as my 9070 Di2 decided to die for about 5 mins tonite and then come back to life...
This is the first time its happened, charged battery Sat evg and have about 250km on it in the last 3 days...
Pushing and holding shifter also shows green light on junction..so batt is at full charge..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am 

ParisCarbon wrote:
Just wondering if this was solved as my 9070 Di2 decided to die for about 5 mins tonite and then come back to life...
This is the first time its happened, charged battery Sat evg and have about 250km on it in the last 3 days...
Pushing and holding shifter also shows green light on junction..so batt is at full charge..

Make sure all cables are plugged in properly - particularly the ones in the Brifters themselves. If those come loose, they can cause the symptoms you are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm 

Pokerface07 wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:

Make sure all cables are plugged in properly - particularly the ones in the Brifters themselves. If those come loose, they can cause the symptoms you are talking about.

Would one of the shift cables loose shut down the entire system though?? I had a problem a few mnths ago where the shop retaped my bars and one of the FD wires came loose, but all it did was shut down the FD, not the entire system....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm 

This is interesting.

This happened to me once when the front Derailleur connection was severed.

Took it to my local shop and they solved the problem.

ParisCarbon wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 am 

Well I raced tonite and no spurts without battery power... I will chock it up as an electrical gremlin until further notice :shock: