New groupset Campagnolo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Seedster wrote:Your mechanics dislike for Campagnolo is probably correlated with their lack of familiarity with the groupsets.

My mechanical groupset works extremely well and I love EPS as well.

Do you know, what the key differences are? Is there something special to do/consider when mounting Campagnolo (like keep the cables longer:)?
(I have good relationship with them and good prices from them, so I don´t want to buy/mount somewhere else..)

Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

@hannawald

There is certainly no magic needed to set up Campagnolo Components. Most shops just have the unknown factor which they normally do not see many bikes with Campagnolo nor have ever owner a bike with it. Install it, pull cable, lock bolt and it will be close to perfect shift. Its fairly simple from Mech Veloce to Mech Super Record and finally EPS is super simple to do.

If your LBS can set up a SRAM(hardest set up I have encountered) equipped bike they can surely set up a Campy bike.
Campy has many tech manuals published on their site if they have questions.

Seedster

by Seedster

hannawald wrote:
Seedster wrote:Your mechanics dislike for Campagnolo is probably correlated with their lack of familiarity with the groupsets.

My mechanical groupset works extremely well and I love EPS as well.

Do you know, what the key differences are? Is there something special to do/consider when mounting Campagnolo (like keep the cables longer:)?
(I have good relationship with them and good prices from them, so I don´t want to buy/mount somewhere else..)

Thank you!

While I am not expert, I have been able to tweak EPS by using Campy's own instructional Youtube videos. My local mechanics work on EPS and I have a friend who is not an official mechanic and has managed to rewire my mechanical without issue and without any formal mechanical training.

Ulver

by Ulver

Any bike mechanic who can't work with Campagnolo is one that should be avoided. If they can't be bothered to become proficient in one of the main component manufacturers products then they are probably being lazy and taking shortcuts on all the work they do on your bikes. I've done most of the work on my campy equipped bikes and I have no training and little mechanical proficiency.

I also have a 20 year old Alfa Romeo v6 and it has needed all of £200 spent on it in terms of non scheduled maintenance in the last couple of years..

Nothing like experiencing something to dispel lazy prejudices.

madik

by madik

Has anyone seen some of the new Campa products listed on eshops?
Functionality > Performance > Weight

Ste_S

by Ste_S

hannawald wrote:How is Campagnolo today? I don´t wanna flame war, just asking those, who can compare...guys from my bike shop (they sell Bianchi and do sell Campagnolo) told me that they would not put Campagnolo on their personal bikes. It´s harder to tune and when tuned it lasts less compared to Shimano...they told me they would prefer Shimano 105 to any Campagnolo groupset..

Is Campagnolo front derailleur 100 percent OK with non Campagnolo chainrings or the performance is affected?
Is Campagnolo rear derailleur 100 percent OK with SRAM/Shimano cassette (I already have and my wheels have this rotor) or the performance is affected?

Thanks a lot!

What a load of rubbish. Just as stupid as all the ShimaNO and "Shimano wears out, Campag wears in" from a while back.

Seriously, don't leave any of your bikes with these guys, they don't know what they're doing. I've got bikes with Campag Chorus 9, Campag Chorus 11, and Shimano 105 11 and they're all the same to set up and maintain - and i'm not the best mechanic in the world.

Re the Chainrings question - I run Rotor cranks with Rotor chainrings, KMC chain with Chorus 11 shifters and mechs with zero issues.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

chain rings are just that - dumb the chain does not know or care which chain ring it is on. I also think you should find a new shop or better still school your self on bike parts and setup. it is not hard.

a quick google search for campagnolo disc brake parts found nothing for sale so i listed the potenza bits. i might be the first.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Ubyk has the H11 parts listed:

http://www.ubyk-pro.com/

A poor pic of the silver Centaur crank:

Ste_S

by Ste_S

I like that silver Centaur crank.

Slightly OT - I like Chorus 9spd, but would prefer a lower gear than 39x26. How feasible would it be to run a Centaur 11spd 50/34 compact on an otherwise 9spd drive train ?

sawyer

by sawyer

Ste_S ... it may not be recommended by the manufacturer but in my experience of running various chainsets "mis-matched" with the rest of the transmission, there is no problem running a more modern - e.g. 10 or 11 speed chainset with a 9 speed group.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

reippuert

by reippuert

Ste_S wrote:I like that silver Centaur crank.

Slightly OT - I like Chorus 9spd, but would prefer a lower gear than 39x26. How feasible would it be to run a Centaur 11spd 50/34 compact on an otherwise 9spd drive train ?

No problems. you may want to try out a narrower chain though.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

claus

by claus

CharlesM wrote:hmmm.... good question. I'll ask

Did you get an answer? (I didn't see another post in this thread about this).
I found this Campagnolo technical document:
035_299_2016_Brake_pads_compatibility_table_ENG_REV00_05_2016.pdf
but that's obviously too old to show the new brake pads.