New groupset Campagnolo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

Pricing and weight

Potenza DB – US$1,610.00 – 2613 g
Chorus DB – US$2,135.00 – 2319 g
Record Mech DB – US$2,385.00 – 2260 g
Record EPS DB – US$3,835.00 – 2390 g
Super Record DB – US$2,610.00 – 2228 g
Super Record EPS DB – US$4,230.00 – 2355 g

lighter than 9170 di2. great. liking it.

the big loser is sram.
they were first with disc road groupset. current sram etap disc was introduced last year
but still not shipping in volume.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

How did the new Centaur go Charles?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Wingnut wrote:How did the new Centaur go Charles?

\
Pretty well...

Oddly enough I like the single shift down button versus multi because the action is quick and accurate. I like Potenza for that reason and the Centaur is the same. The butting is more hand position friendly in the drops as well.

The brakes are better than I thought they would be and that's in no small part because I thinK Campy now have the nicest pad for metal rims I've felt in a long time...

Cranks are the first Alu with Ultratorque (thoough Potenza is going that route too now) and the group is lighter than 105 with shifting that is as smooth going up the cassette as 105 and I think it's better down.

Miller

by Miller

CharlesM wrote:Cranks are the first Alu with Ultratorque (thoough Potenza is going that route too now)

Not quite true. When UT was introduced in about 2007/2008, Centaur alloy had UT spindle and I think Veloce of that era also, it wasn't for another year or two that PT was introduced. I had a Centaur alloy UT chainset for some years and very good it was too.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

spartan wrote:Pricing and weight

the big loser is sram.
they were first with disc road groupset. current sram etap disc was introduced last year

Chain Shimano 114 links, Campagnolo 110 links.............the difference is even smaller.........but the price??????

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Any idea on Centaur availability?

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Miller wrote:
CharlesM wrote:Cranks are the first Alu with Ultratorque (thoough Potenza is going that route too now)

Not quite true. When UT was introduced in about 2007/2008, Centaur alloy had UT spindle and I think Veloce of that era also, it wasn't for another year or two that PT was introduced. I had a Centaur alloy UT chainset for some years and very good it was too.

2008 mirage was also ultra torque.

and veloce-centaur athena up to 2011. in that year they introduced pt

jeffy

by jeffy

Calnago wrote:Good point @jeffy. Most frames use stops somewhere along the way, so that would be an issue for sure. The C59 runs a full length of cable housing through the top tube. The C60 uses stops. But making frames to allow a run of hydraulic housing to the rear brake would be a minor non-issue compared to what has to happen to accommodate discs.

except people would still have to buy a new frame (or drill :cry: )

ooo

by ooo

There are adapters from regular cable stops to hydroclamp:

BBB BCB-92

https://bbbcycling.com/en/bike-parts/cables/BCB-92

Jagwire DCA008, DCA010

http://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/housing-guides
Attachments
Jagwire DCA008
Jagwire DCA008
Jagwire DCA010
Jagwire DCA010
'

Ulver

by Ulver

Ritxis wrote:
spartan wrote:Pricing and weight

the big loser is sram.

Chain Shimano 114 links, Campagnolo 110 links.............the difference is even smaller.........but the price??????

Those look like RRP. You can't compare those prices to what you will pay in the real world. For example at least in the UK the Potenza rim brake groupset is listed as just over £900 in reviews yet real world price is more like £550. Chorus was reviewed at around £1,100 yet is £750-£800 real world.

At least that's what it looks like, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Last edited by Ulver on Wed May 10, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

morrisond wrote:Here you go..from Peloton

It seems as though the tipping point has been reached. Road disc is not just an option, very shortly it will be the only option for a high-end bike, relegating rim brakes to the bike path. With Campagnolo launching its road disc brake components, H 11, every major component group manufacturer has an attractive disc braking option. For all those disc brake deniers out there, just remember, every argument being made against disc has already been made, over 10 years ago, when mountain bikes went disc. We don’t see any serious rim brake mountain bikes anymore, and we won’t see any serious rim braking road bikes in five years time.

What an ignorant comment from Peloton.

Equally ignorant would be deny that disc brakes have some advantages

The dis-advantages for road are distinct from MTB requirements, namely a premium on weight and aerodynamics

Up to the end user whether those drawbacks are outweighed by superior stopping power
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Ulver, your right. You only have to reference Ribble Cycles to see that these prices will almost certainly be the high watermark, thankfully. My piggybank is gonna take a serious hammering in the next year or so when I move into the 21st Century. :D

madik

by madik

Does the brake rotors has floating construction? Certainly looks like it, but I haven't seen any comments about in the previews.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

morrisond

by morrisond

sawyer wrote:
morrisond wrote:Here you go..from Peloton

It seems as though the tipping point has been reached. Road disc is not just an option, very shortly it will be the only option for a high-end bike, relegating rim brakes to the bike path. With Campagnolo launching its road disc brake components, H 11, every major component group manufacturer has an attractive disc braking option. For all those disc brake deniers out there, just remember, every argument being made against disc has already been made, over 10 years ago, when mountain bikes went disc. We don’t see any serious rim brake mountain bikes anymore, and we won’t see any serious rim braking road bikes in five years time.

What an ignorant comment from Peloton.

Equally ignorant would be deny that disc brakes have some advantages

The dis-advantages for road are distinct from MTB requirements, namely a premium on weight and aerodynamics

Up to the end user whether those drawbacks are outweighed by superior stopping power

Just to be clear - although that quote was attributed to me (I don't agree with it at all) it was a partial quote taken from when I posted the Entire cached Peloton article that was taken down as they released the info too soon.

However I have seen enough stuff that it sounds like the Aero Penalty is minimal at worst and with good design can be mostly if not fully negated.

I've had enough Disc bikes now - starting with with Avid Mech's 12 years ago - to RS685's and now on SR with Spyre's on my gravel bike that I'm really not a fan - due to the noise issues. They all make a great racket at points - especially when wet or dirty.

That being said Campy Carbon rims with Campy pads make noise as well (although they do work quite well).

The part about the new Campy Brakes that has me very intrigued about is the supposedly lack of noise.

I'm still just P*ssed about the lack of Post Mount.

I've been in touch with Hope and they are going to Test their RX4's with Campy levers, and Magura Calipers use the same fluid as Campy (and they make the Campy Calipers and Hydro Parts in the levers) so I would guess they would work.

Let's just hope Campy will sell the levers separately like Shimano does.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

which fluid campy uses? dot?
'