New groupset Campagnolo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

one thing re: hydraulic rim brakes. does your frame run full cable outers through the frame, or just 'stops' and wire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

All may not be lost on Post Mount - Charles M very kindly replied to my email - he says they were in the Tech Presentation and James at CyclingTips mentioned them as well.

I've got an inquiry into Campy USA through my dealer to see if they are going to be truly available.

Does anyone have Pics of the Post Mount Caliper?

Miller

by Miller

The new stuff looks fantastic, I'm impressed. I can see this opening up the gravel bike market for Campag as well as road.

Strange though that Centaur goes UT just as Potenza has come out with improved PT, did anyone explain the rationale there?

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Somebody on one of the many reviews I read somewhere today said that Potenza will move to UT cranks now too.

morrisond

by morrisond

Yes Potenza moving to Ultra-Torque and the Chainline is moving 1.25mm - not the 2.5mm of H11 Cranks - so there will only be one version of Potenza chainline going forward (From James Huang on Cycling Tips). No 130mm Hub Spacing Potenza Crank Chainline anymore - just the in-between one.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:Yes, and I have a set of Magura Hydraulic rim brakes coupled with their hydraulic road levers (HS77) made for only one season I think but never took off since they weren't compatible with ergo/sti shifters, so you had to use either downtube shifters or bar ends. Great brakes. But now, things have changed and they can mix hydraulics with the shifters. Therefore I see no reason that nice hydraulic rim calipers for road bikes couldn't be the ultimate goto option over discs on high end road bikes. Unless you want to run huge tires, are there really any advantages to discs on a road bike? Versus a nice set of hydraulic rim calipers? The ease of action and modulation comes from the hydraulics, not the discs themselves. A road bike is rarely if ever subjected to mud deeper than the rim profile, in which case yes, discs are preferable hence they are on mountain bikes. So, unless you want to run huge tires on your road bike, like 30+ mm and clearance becomes an issue, I would totally opt for hydraulic rim calipers with some nice levers to match. No extended chainstays to mess up the tight road bike handling characteristics we've come to enjoy. No frame beefing up. No wheel beefing up. Same ol, same ol, except for the added light action of the rim brakes being activated hydraulically rather than via a cable. Oh yeah, and a little less of that thing we refer to here as weight. But who cares about weight, right?

Of course, this would mean that the sea change of new frames etc., and the obsolescence of all existing road bikes would not happen, and I could see that as being frowned upon by the manufacturers who are licking their financial chops at the prospects here.

So come on Magura, and any other brake manufacturers that see this as a huge opportunity. Bring it!

Call me old fashioned, but im not sure that Disk Brakes are needed even on Mountain Bikes. Im coming from mountain biking (20 years ago, some racing as well), and i had few MTB bikes in that time, all with Rim V-Brakes. Riding a lot off road, rain mud, snow..

The last V-Brake bike i had was Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC 1999 with XTR V-Brakes and Kool Stop pads. Amazing stopping power, light, maintence free, amazing modulation, and with Kool Stop pads they was braking in Rain, Mud, Snow.. No problems

BTW this brakes now are on my Gf Kona Kiluea Steel bike which is 1997 model :) and she ride it everyday..

Then in 2008 i bought my first MTB with Disk Brakes, Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon with Marta SL Disk Brakes + Rotors. Im not sure that the braking difference is that much bettern compared to Shimano XTR V-Brakes.. There is some difference, but not that much difference.. But big difference in maintence.. Every few months i need to bleed oil, brake pads dont last that much, i had to replace rotors few times (while rims on V-Brakes are still the same what i rode 20 years ago.. And i was riding a lot, and racing on them (Shimano XTR rear hub, REAL Front Hub, DT Revolution spokes and Mavic x517 rims).

So for me there is really no need of Disk Brakes on Road bikes and i consider this just as consumerism thing to brainwashed us that our bikes are old Fashioned, and that we will need to replace them with "much more improved and better Disk Brakes"

I'll try to stay on my Rim Brakes as long as possible, and probably i'll switch when there will be no more possible to ride that standard (and i climb a lot, and ride a lot in mountians on all weather, since my city is surrounded with Mountains. )

jeffy

by jeffy

not to interrupt the wonderful and detailed discussion of wether disc brakes are necessary .....

interesting that they say, 'there are no adapters necessary, it is a direct mount to flat mount' then claim that they are compatible with all current road frames,
(ignoring the post mount issue) speccing 160mm front would require an adapter of sort to fit the majority of 140mm front forks..

hope the no-adapter-needed, doesn't mean "but if you do need an adapter you need a proprietary Campag one $$$ "

roadhog44

by roadhog44

I understand its a unique caliper for either 140 or 160mm discs..........no adaptors required

CharlesM

by CharlesM

morrisond wrote:All may not be lost on Post Mount - Charles M very kindly replied to my email - he says they were in the Tech Presentation and James at CyclingTips mentioned them as well.

I've got an inquiry into Campy USA through my dealer to see if they are going to be truly available.

Does anyone have Pics of the Post Mount Caliper?

I HAVE THIS WRONG!

These are Flat Mount Only...

I misread a slide for a really stupid reason and screwed that up...

madik

by madik

They have 3 calipers in production.
1) Front 160mm only caliper.
2) Rear 160 mm caliper
3) Rear 140 mm caliper.

I love their hydraulic breaking approach with the same master cylinders, adjustability, calipers, rotors and pads for all the groupsets.

Kinda nice they gave people so little options. Much less to think about!
Functionality > Performance > Weight

AJS914

by AJS914

If someone had a post mount frame, I wonder if you could fit a Magura caliper?

wingguy

by wingguy

jeffy wrote:interesting that they say, 'there are no adapters necessary, it is a direct mount to flat mount' then claim that they are compatible with all current road frames,
(ignoring the post mount issue) speccing 160mm front would require an adapter of sort to fit the majority of 140mm front forks.

No, the caliper is the adapter. Bolting the caliper directly to the flat mount fork provides the positioning for a 160mm rotor. There is no way of using a 140mm front rotor with it.

This is unlike the Shimano/Sram calipers where an adapter is always used, with the adapter one way up for 160 and the other way up for 140.

morrisond

by morrisond

AJS914 wrote:If someone had a post mount frame, I wonder if you could fit a Magura caliper?

I'll have to look into that.

Charles M is right - I just confirmed it with Campy USA - No Post Mount....

How is Campy selling the Brakes - Can you buy just the Levers and Hoses or do they come with Calipers?

AJS914

by AJS914

If that worked I might consider switching my Crux over to Campy (currently Force1/Red).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

jeffy wrote:one thing re: hydraulic rim brakes. does your frame run full cable outers through the frame, or just 'stops' and wire.

Good point @jeffy. Most frames use stops somewhere along the way, so that would be an issue for sure. The C59 runs a full length of cable housing through the top tube. The C60 uses stops. But making frames to allow a run of hydraulic housing to the rear brake would be a minor non-issue compared to what has to happen to accommodate discs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com