lightweight cockpit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rubik

by Rubik

Done some searching and read through the $70, 265g experiment thread.. Looking at building up something new (LTK 118) and trying to figure out cockpits.

I have a 3T Aeronova with an ARX stem on my aero road bike, which I like really well in that application, and it's pretty light, but I'd like to avoid the tighter internal cable routing and maybe find something a bit cheaper and/or stiffer.

I've seen some other interesting handlebar/stem combos that claim to be in the 250g range on ebay, but hard to determine if those are going to be legitimate weights and not ridiculously flexy. I have a "toseek" aeronova type bar that is heinously flexy and 50 grams heavier than my aeronova.

Any stem/bar combos you guys like well enough? May try the integrated stem/combo route if nothing more promising pops up.

tokyodrift69

by tokyodrift69

You really can't go wrong with a Kalloy UNO stem with a ti bolt kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trek Emonda ALR (Etap, Ksyrium SLs, Zipp Service Course SL Finishing Kit)
Cervelo P2 (Sram Red 22, Force P2M, H3 Front, Zipp 900 Rear, Parts bin Cockpit)
Focus Mares Disc 2016 (Force 1x, Zipp 303)
Trek Top Fuel 8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rubik

by Rubik

Cool. I'll check that one out. How many grams does the ti bolt kit save?

DaReef

by DaReef

Not the lightest but I really like the Zipp Sprint stem. I have it on all my bikes.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Bro what was the point of recommending a Zipp Sprint stem... Literally so confused right now.

DaReef

by DaReef

Bro, he said he doesn't want flex. Right there in his post, twice.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I think both times the flexy point was referring to the bars rather than the stem. FWB bars test can help give you an objective measure of that. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/

Rubik

by Rubik

Too clarify, I meant flex in the handlebars (my 3t aeronovas aren't that stout, even on a 40cm). Don't notice much flex in stems (though maybe there is some?), personally. I've looked at the Zipp sprint. Quite nice, but too big and gaunky for my liking. And the Zipp price tag is always too much.

DaReef

by DaReef

All valid points. I'll just end with one more plug. The Sprint stem with the SL70 aero bars are a very stiff combo. I quickly learned that buying something once is cheaper than upgrading later.

C36

by C36

Looking for something similar: the equivalent to those "265g" combo bars but in high quality. So far the only option I know is to buy per separate an expensive bar an expensive stem... And pay 3-400$ more to have them bonded together (and need other bar/steam in the meantime)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Rubik

by Rubik

DaReef wrote:All valid points. I'll just end with one more plug. The Sprint stem with the SL70 aero bars are a very stiff combo. I quickly learned that buying something once is cheaper than upgrading later.

That is a very good point.

Can you route Shimano mechanical with the SL70s okay, or are they drilled SRAM style with one cable entering the front hole and one the rear (for the internal cable routing)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaReef

by DaReef

You can mount Shimano. Plenty of pics on the web and it's been covered here:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140389

But, in sticking with the no upgrades, obviously the right answer is etap... :D