Budget Workstand recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric01

by eric01

+1 for the feedback sports sprint stand. I also have a park prs-20. (don't ask why I have both...) Anyhow I reach for the feedback sprint one exclusively now because its lighter and easier to setup and tear down. Park is little more stable because its heavier, but less convenient to setup and tear down because it is heavier.

I don't power wash my bike on the stand, but if you do, consider the aluminum versions to avoid rust.

Don't like the clamp ones because a) don't want to clamp carbon directly b) don't want to clamp my carbon seat post because I'm worried about the finish c) don't want to pull out seat post every time to use one of those insert clamps
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

gbrown

by gbrown

BRM wrote:The Tacx T3350 is the successor of the T3050

Does anyone know if you can get thru axle mounts for the Tacx T3350? I have just bought my wife a Specialized Ruby with disc brakes and thru axles and would like to mount it on my T3350 stand when needed. I've had a Google and it looks like the T3350 is QR only?

Thanks,

Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

If you can't find one, you could always just use a generic adapter. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Filzer-Fork-Adap ... 01ACE5IQE/

BRM

by BRM

From the T3350 specs

· incl. front wheel adapter: 5 mm quick release, 9 mm axle (DT Swiss Thru Bold), 15 mm and 20 mm thru axle
· incl. rear wheel adapter: 130 x 5 mm and 135 x 5 mm quick release, 10 mm axle (DT Swiss Thru Bold) and 12 mm axle

Note: not suitable for e-bikes and trekking bikes.

sp3000

by sp3000

As nearly everyone has said, "team stand" is a no brainer, but I didn't come to just say that...
I just finished a build on the park stand at it was great, could torque the cranks on the stand no trouble and a pleasure to be able to sit at a chair and swing the bike round while working on it.

One point not mentioned is that when you install the fork or do headset work it is great to have the fork clamped in that it can stand on it's own and you can lift the frame on or off it. No risk of it dropping down etc.

As for the front wheel, as others have said you just clamp the rear drop out, however the only job I have ever needed to do wit the wheel on was adjust the brakes and that is about the easiest thing you can ever do when the bike is built up and off the work stand, so no minus there..

BRM

by BRM

When having a garage or storage you also can hang a cable pulley system on the ceiling.
So you have an extra way to work on your bike aside the workstand. Cable pulley system are cheap.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have both style stands from Feedback. Contrary to most here, I use the clamp style the most. I clamp the seat post and never had a problem over many years.

With the team stand, will it work with disc wheels? Can you change the dropout holder to clamp thru axles of various sizes?

BRM

by BRM

You have one yourself but don't know the answers?? :roll:
Look to some youtube vids
Look on the feedback site to description of the stand and then look on the accessoires page as well

https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/sprint-work-stand/

There is even a separate pdf for axle configurations >>
https://www.feedbacksports.com/wp-conte ... config.pdf

extra spacers>
https://www.feedbacksports.com/product- ... cessories/

gbrown

by gbrown

BRM wrote:From the T3350 specs

· incl. front wheel adapter: 5 mm quick release, 9 mm axle (DT Swiss Thru Bold), 15 mm and 20 mm thru axle
· incl. rear wheel adapter: 130 x 5 mm and 135 x 5 mm quick release, 10 mm axle (DT Swiss Thru Bold) and 12 mm axle

Note: not suitable for e-bikes and trekking bikes.

Thanks, I'll have to get in the loft and check if I left them in the box!

From the Specialized Ruby spec, it says Fork 12x100mm thru-axle and Frame 12x142mm thru-axle, so I guess only the rear wheel adapter would work, which is a pain!

I guess I need a 15mm or 20mm Thru Axle to 12mm Thru Axle Adapter for 100mm Fork.

Are disc brakes settling on a 12mm standard?

Geoff

jeffy

by jeffy

gbrown wrote:I guess I need a 15mm or 20mm Thru Axle to 12mm Thru Axle Adapter for 100mm Fork.

let me know if you find a solution. have seen metal adapters but would rather a softer solution.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

BRM wrote:You have one yourself but don't know the answers?? :roll:

Haha, yeah I have the Feedback Sports team style stand but it was in my storage locker because I don't use it much, and never used it with a disc brake bike.

This thread piqued my interest in it again, I got it out of storage yesterday afternoon, and yeah, you can change the tube on the front clamp to work with thru axles.

My question, though, was posed more generally for whatever team type stand the OP was looking at, not the Feedback Sports one specifically, and to make sure that it works with thru axles before purchasing.

Also FWIW I've had both the clamp and team style stands from both Park and Feedback Sports, and in both cases prefer the Feedback Sports one. It's lighter and in my opinion, built to a higher level of quality and attention to detail.

BRM

by BRM

clamp style should not be your first choice with carbon frames, even better, just avoid

in general the lighter the workstand, the less stable
so when you use the workstand mostly at home only a focus on lightweight is not the right direction

shimmeD

by shimmeD

But this is weight weenies!
:wink: I just couldn't resist
Less is more.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

BRM wrote:clamp style should not be your first choice with carbon frames, even better, just avoid

in general the lighter the workstand, the less stable
so when you use the workstand mostly at home only a focus on lightweight is not the right direction

I don't clamp on the frame, only the seatpost, and have never had a problem.

What do they use at virtually every shop in the US? A clamp style, on the seatpost.

I've found the Feedback Sports products to be very high quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

You only try to find confirmation for your thoughts.

That you never had a problem and that according you almost every us shop use them will not say it's the way to go. It is not a right reference imo.

Why can't you just visualize what the cons are of a clamp style workstand?
- scratches
- not safe for carbon
- less stable