Budget Workstand recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm about to build another bike and thought it would be nice to have a workstand. My basic question is should I go for an inexpensive unbranded model ($35 ebay to $60 from a retailer).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065PHDZE/

Or, step up and get the lowest model branded workstand (Park, Feedback Sports, etc) - $100-$150.

The other question - should I get a "team" style stand - the kind that clamps the fork dropouts and the bottom bracket.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I prefer the team stand. Especially if you're building it bottom up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

loudtiger

by loudtiger

i've been researching the same thing, and everything i've read points to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Sports- ... B009W68UAU

just waiting to save up some funds.

RussellS

by RussellS

Get one that allows you to clamp the top tube, seat tube, or seatpost. Not one that requires you to remove the front wheel and hold the bike by the bottom bracket. I work on my front brakes, front wheel, and headset. Can't do that with a stand that clamps the front dropouts and requires you to remove the front wheel. If you are worried about breaking the toptube or seattube, just don't clamp it hard.
Last edited by RussellS on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

What are you talking about? If you want to work on front end then you clamp the rear dropouts to the stand. No problem.

RussellS wrote:Get one that allows you to clamp the top tube, seat tube, or seatpost. Not one that requires you to remove the front wheel and hold the bike by the bottom bracket. I work on my front brakes, front wheel, and headtube. Can't do that with a stand that clamps the front dropouts and requires you to remove the front wheel. If you are worried about breaking the toptube or seattube, just don't clamp it hard.

3Pio

by 3Pio

loudtiger wrote:i've been researching the same thing, and everything i've read points to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Sports- ... B009W68UAU

just waiting to save up some funds.

I was doing the similar research two years ago, and at the end bought Team Style stand. No clamping to carbon tubes (even u dont clamp too hard, u can scratch it easely, and also solid so u can do some torque ing jobs on it.

I was torn to decide between Park Tool and Feedback Sports, and at the end got the Feedback Sport Spring stand. Positive thing is that is light so u can carry around.

And u can do other things in this kind of stand. For example living in apartment, i have to clean my bike in the bath. Im using the stand in the bath tube and bike on the stand :) for this purpose

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike-re ... 6122809900

the price depends on the country. here it was sold for 10k huf, which is around 35 usd.

dj97223

by dj97223

I have the type that clamps to a tube. I also use it to store my bike between rides -- clamped to seat post, wheels on the ground. I find that quite handy and the kids and dog can't knock it over..
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

audiojan

by audiojan

Absolutely get a "team stand"! So much easier to work on the bike and you don't have to worry about clamping force, scratching the frame, etc. etc. etc. Well worth the extra money (if there's any additional cost).

I've been using a TACX stand for the last 15 years and it just plainly works.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

AJS914

by AJS914

One of the ones I'm looking at is the Tacx Spider Team:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tac ... and-208981

$150 shipped. It's aluminum and light weight and from a name brand company.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

I'd second the Tacx Spider Stand. Budget friendly and rock solid. I like the 'Euro-style' stand because it's less wobbly when you manoeuvre around the bike, e.g. adjust the shifting cables, etc.

BRM

by BRM

Every stand has its pro's and con's.

The Tacx T3350 is the successor of the T3050

I don't have personal experience with the newest but probably the older one was a little bit more stable.
Older type 3050 was also height adjustable, newer 3350 not. It is fixed on 90 cm.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

My observations as an owner of both styles of work stand (Feedback Sports Sport-Mechanic and Sprint models) :
  • The “team” style stand is safer for carbon fiber frames in that you don’t have to worry about crushing tubes by clamping too tight. You can of course use a clamp style work stand with caution or by clamping the seat post (unless it’s carbon too).
  • You can work on the front end of your bike with a team style stand by attaching the bike at the rear dropout. It’s awkward, but possible.
  • The “lowest model branded workstand” is almost certainly a better bet than an inexpensive no name stand. I have a ~15-year-old Ultimate BRS-70B Consumer Deluxe (now known as Feedback Sports’ Sport-Mechanic model) and it’s still as solid as the day I bought it.
  • If you decide to get a clamp style stand, get the best clamp mechanism you can afford. My one regret…
  • In my experience, tool trays work better with clamp style stands than team style stands. You run into more clearance issues with the latter.

Feature I’d most like to see on a team style stand: Ability to set the angle of the crossbeam so that the dropouts are level relative to the bottom bracket. As it is, it’s impossible to set the angle of your saddle or handlebars without taking the bike off the stand or doing trigonometry.

Unsollicited endorsement of Feedback Sports: When I needed to replace the rubber jaws on my clamp style stand seven years ago, Feedback got in touch with the distributor in my country who had new pads sent to my LBS free of charge. Today, you can buy them direct from the website, but that wasn't the case then. When I decided to get a team style stand, Feedback Sports was naturally my first choice. You can buy loyalty.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

A big advantage of the clamp type stands is you can use them to hold a beach umbrella for some shade in a parking lot before/after a ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Team type stand all day, if you have carbon. I have both types and only the team stand sees any real use. The feedback is pricy but very nice, Park and Elite are ok as well.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record