Sealant and Valve Core Extension on High-Profile Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Hello all,

I am riding relatively high-profile deep tubular carbon wheels with 40mm valve extensions, and was considering to start carrying sealant with me along with my spare tufo tubular and mini-pump. However I am wondering: Is it reasonable to believe that I can inject the sealant with just the valve removed and leaving the valve core extension in place?

Sorry if the answer to the question is obvious, I have had no flat with tubs so far, and never used sealant - so I have no experience what to expect, but it is still good to be prepared...

I think that having to unglue the tubular and remove the valve core extension in order to inject the sealant, would make the whole sealant carrying thing a moot point.

Thanks,
lightweenie

sungod

by sungod

you can inject tufo extreme through an extender, no issue, just remove core, press nozzle in, squeeze

aside from sealant and valve core tool (supplied with the tufo), also carry a bit of plastic coated wire to poke in if the extender gets sealed - in a pinch you can use the tie wire that comes with the tufo to hold the core tool in the box, but ideally something stiffer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beatle

by beatle

I inject Orange Seal through an extender all the time. I use it as a prophylactic.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

beatle wrote:I inject Orange Seal through an extender all the time. I use it as a prophylactic.

Are you that worried about your tires getting pregnant?

1415chris

by 1415chris

sungod wrote:aside from sealant and valve core tool (supplied with the tufo), also carry a bit of plastic coated wire to poke in if the extender gets sealed

Funny you have mentioned it, as before yesterday I was playing with the valve/valve extender clog.
There was no way to remove it using a long needle or a straight coated wire. What helped was a tiny loop on the end of the uncoated wire, which I span inside the valve. Few seconds and the clog was removed :)

beatle

by beatle

topflightpro wrote:
beatle wrote:I inject Orange Seal through an extender all the time. I use it as a prophylactic.

Are you that worried about your tires getting pregnant?

LOL. See number 2.

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of prophylactic
: guarding from or preventing the spread or occurrence of disease or infection
: tending to prevent or ward off : preventive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com