Chain catcher issue.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bura

by bura

Hello Weenies,

In the past I have had a few of them ( Token) and they have worked well for me. Now I have this far away friend who claims that he needs another brand or type of catcher because its not working, being specific , it is too flexy at the bottom edge and 'allows' the chain to slide through onto the frame.
Need to mention that he has a compact crank set and his small ring has 36T.
I was curious if one of you has experienced similar problems with chain catchers working not properly on smaller rings than 39T .
I have checked that for example the Token chain catcher design fits perfect with a 39T set up but may have some issues working with smaller inner rings.
Told him that he can bend a spoke to his needs but he wants an original manufactured part on his bike.

Thoughts please.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

1) make sure it is adjusted very close to the chain, like as close as possible without touching when in the small chainring, biggest sprocket combo.
2) make sure you get one that has independent adjustment separate from the front derailleur mounting bolt.
I recommend K-Edge personally.
And make sure your front derailleur is properly adjusted regardless of whether you're using a chain catcher or not. The chain catcher should only come into play on the rare occasion where a bump or something causes your chain to miss the small ring during the shift. It should not be there to remedy a poorly adjusted front derailleur that would otherwise be dropping the chain constantly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

If the frame shape allows, try the Dog Fang. It certainly is not flexy.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

tmr5555

by tmr5555

dj97223 wrote:If the frame shape allows, try the Dog Fang. It certainly is not flexy.

deleted comment, whoops

bura

by bura

Thanks for the input clng & dj . Good points there calnago. Regarding the design think that the dog fang is the best to go for different sizes of small crank ring issue as you can adjust it at the level you want it to be. OTOS need to check the clamp dia of the DF because it may not fit on my mates frame like dj already mentioned.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

kytyree

by kytyree

If the dog fang won't fit as designed you may be able to use a zip tie.

On one my frames the bottom bracket lug extends up the seat tube to where the DF needs to be. I removed the normal mounting screw and nut and ran a zip tie through the holes around the dog fang. It's been on there that way for several years and never given me trouble.

bura

by bura

Thanks kytyree.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

It's not suitable for a lot of modern frames due to its need for round tubing to mount to, but there's no better chain catcher than the N-Gear Jump Stop. http://n-gear.com/

RussellS

by RussellS

Not really sure what you are needing. I have three different types of chain catchers on my various bikes. The plastic kind that wraps around the seattube and you attach with a hose clamp. The long angled kind that is a long square rod basically with a bend in it. And the N Gear Jump stop one that is a flat silver piece of metal mounted to a plastic block. I cannot remember ever dropping a chain. No sure if that is because the chain catcher is working. Or my front derailleurs are all perfectly adjusted. Or what. But I think all chain catchers work. They are not all that sophisticated and complicated. Just a piece of metal or plastic to close the gap between the chainring and the seattube.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think I've dropped a chain once in the last 20 years. I've never owned a chain catcher.

srshaw

by srshaw

I just installed the new version of the k edge (I think it was called a pro). Really simple to install since it can be set without undoing the front derailleur mounting bolt.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:I think I've dropped a chain once in the last 20 years. I've never owned a chain catcher.

Same here.. But month ago, i was very tired, climbing i hit the pothole , chain went out and got stucked under the chain catcher on my C60, and striped a paint :(

But im thinking that if i did not have chain catcher at all, i'll just got the chain from the frame with the front deralieur and chain catcher stopped this. Of course the chain catcher was installed a bit far and this happend, but also wondering are they worth it at all, since if somethign got missalligment they are bigger threat then to dont have them.

p.s. Still have it on my bike, but put it very close to the chain after that accident and readjust the front deralieur (the only thing i went to my LBS, and they miss the adjustment properly which also lead to the accident with the chain)

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on the Dog Fang (or similar). I have had good luck with the K-Edge and Campagnolo ones, too.

I don't drop chains a lot, either, but it is really cheap insurance. For racing, not to run a chain catcher is pretty silly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

For racing, not to run a chain catcher is pretty silly.

Except you hear about those cases where the chain gets trapped between a chain catcher and the derailleur requiring a allen wrench to get back on the road. That situation would put you out of a race.