Opinion needed regarding fork and headset.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Y26

by Y26

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of gathering parts to build up a disc roadie and need to decide on the fork and headset.

Already bought Lynskey Helix Sport frame which uses IS42/IS52 when installing with stock 1.5" taper fork but I wish to use the new Enve road disc fork which is 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" taper fork.

The problem is that I can't find a headset that will do the trick. The parts store on Cane Creek only have 52/30mm and 52/40mm where I would need an 52/33 to fit.

https://www.canecreek.com/store/headset ... crown-race

Cane creek said that they can make a special part (all metal) less the blue rubber seal you can see on the above link. Do you think that the rubber seal is quite important to have to prevent all the grids/water/gunk from ruining the bearing? Is it much prefer to have the rubber seal rather then pure metal surface for longevity?

I don't have to stick with the Enve fork but wish to have something with the newer standard like flat mount/12TA and preferably to route the hydraulic cable semi internally so please advice if you know there are different fork that would tick most of the boxes.

Thanks for your input in advance and go easy on this newbie builder.

Cheers.

CycloTron

by CycloTron

I'm in the same position as you, building a R360 and going with the Enve fork.

Just buy the Cane Creek IS42/52 headset together with their crown race reducer (from 1.5" to 1.25") and you'll be set.
The reducer needs to be special ordered or bought directly from Cane Creek.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Y26

by Y26

CycloTron wrote:I'm in the same position as you, building a R360 and going with the Enve fork.

Just buy the Cane Creek IS42/52 headset together with their crown race reducer (from 1.5" to 1.25") and you'll be set.
The reducer needs to be special ordered or bought directly from Cane Creek.

That is what I did but bought the bearing for the lower headset to save a bit more money. Jenson has it for $36.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-110 ... 15-Bearing

Not much saving but every bit helps.

The only thing that was concerning me was the lacking of the rubber seal.