Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

cunn1n9 wrote:With last firmware update my R9100P is now reading 51/49 L/R. This is within margin of error and I am happy now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which other powermeter(s) do you compare it to?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

TonyM wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:36 pm
cunn1n9 wrote:With last firmware update my R9100P is now reading 51/49 L/R. This is within margin of error and I am happy now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which other powermeter(s) do you compare it to?
Vector 1 and Vector 2. Not a great reference i know!

TonyM

by TonyM

What are the values that you usually get with the Vector 1 & 2?

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

TonyM wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 am
What are the values that you usually get with the Vector 1 & 2?
49/51 L/R with Vectors . So 51/49 L/R with Shimano is within 2% error. Who knows which is right? Will say that apart from this the Shimano is awesome. Never drops a signal and the zero with the button is so easy.

TonyM

by TonyM

Sounds good to me (and still waiting for my DA powermeter in Canada....)

rynogee

by rynogee

apologies if this is asked (or answered) already, but does anyone know if any online sellers in EU/UK have any stock? (or have any reasonable estimate of ETA) Have searched a few of my common shops (bike discount, bike 24, rose) but none have stock or have in weird lengths.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

While I can’t answer question about EU/UK inventory situation, a friend in Taiwan was told the production of R9100-P (and many other components) are delayed due to a fire that destroyed the anodizing facility in Shimano’s Sakai plant last month.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fire-brea ... ctory.html

rynogee

by rynogee

interesting, thanks for that

roeman

by roeman

rynogee wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:38 pm
apologies if this is asked (or answered) already, but does anyone know if any online sellers in EU/UK have any stock? (or have any reasonable estimate of ETA) Have searched a few of my common shops (bike discount, bike 24, rose) but none have stock or have in weird lengths.
What size are you after we have a 172.5 in our shop, just need to check chainrings when arrive at work. pm if your interested.

Thanks
JAmes
Giant XTC Team 2014
Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 2016
Cannondale Scalpel Si 2018 Team
Cervelo S5 Dura Ace - Enve 4.5's

chrispana

by chrispana

Has anyone had any luck addressing any of the balance and overall power data from the Shimano 9100p power meter recently through firmware or other updates? I'm currently looking at this or the 4iii podium power and so far it's looking like 4iii all the way, being my first PM, I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one

ms6073

by ms6073

chrispana wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 am
I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one
Might I suggest you may want to forego any current powermeter offering until all the issues are sorted out. :beerchug:

So what if the left-right balance measurements are off? Nobody has perfect body symmetry, and unless you have a really bad bike fit, or bio mechanical impediments such as a leg length discrepancy or prosthetic limb(s), then there is scant little to be gained chasing this as there currently are no practical means to address/improve normal asymmetry. From my perspective, the consensus seems to be moving more towards the left-right bias are more issues with an individuals pedaling style and not an inherent flaw with the powermeter.

What is important is that a powermeter provide consistent and repeatable power output day in and day out. As a 15+ year SRM consumer, other than some minor technology issues with connecting to make firmware updates, I have been very happy with the economy and utility offered by the 9100-P that replaced an SRM DA-9000 powermeter, and I will soon be swapping the wife's out as well.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

chrispana wrote:Has anyone had any luck addressing any of the balance and overall power data from the Shimano 9100p power meter recently through firmware or other updates? I'm currently looking at this or the 4iii podium power and so far it's looking like 4iii all the way, being my first PM, I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one
AFAIK there are also some problems with the 4iiii (see here in the forum)....

Powermeters without any problems are Power2Max and Pioneer.

BTW some problems can be addressed with an update, some others not....

chrispana

by chrispana

ms6073 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:32 pm
chrispana wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 am
I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one
Might I suggest you may want to forego any current powermeter offering until all the issues are sorted out. :beerchug:

So what if the left-right balance measurements are off? Nobody has perfect body symmetry, and unless you have a really bad bike fit, or bio mechanical impediments such as a leg length discrepancy or prosthetic limb(s), then there is scant little to be gained chasing this as there currently are no practical means to address/improve normal asymmetry. From my perspective, the consensus seems to be moving more towards the left-right bias are more issues with an individuals pedaling style and not an inherent flaw with the powermeter.

What is important is that a powermeter provide consistent and repeatable power output day in and day out. As a 15+ year SRM consumer, other than some minor technology issues with connecting to make firmware updates, I have been very happy with the economy and utility offered by the 9100-P that replaced an SRM DA-9000 powermeter, and I will soon be swapping the wife's out as well.
I do have some left inbalances and left / right balance will help me understand my biomechanics under a variety of situations (hit by a car many years ago), but i'd have to agree that a lot of it has to do with pedalling style, zero offset not being done correctly, isolated events due to setup, computer they use etc., I'm not overly concerned with L/R balance as a number flashing up on my screen when riding, it's the overall power data i'm concerned about, from what i'm reading that appears to be fine in almost all situations including indoors which is key for my needs.

Almost every team in this years TDF will be using the power meter so i'm pretty sure any fixes will trickle down to consumers. I'm leaning more down this path and picking myself up the Shimano PM, the 4iii in Aus is 2 months off due to supply delays and I'd prefer an elegant solution with a single battery solution with decent life rather than mediocre battery. Good to know you're replacing your SRM for this, price alone would be a breath of fresh air!
Last edited by chrispana on Fri May 11, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chrispana

by chrispana

TonyM wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 pm
chrispana wrote:Has anyone had any luck addressing any of the balance and overall power data from the Shimano 9100p power meter recently through firmware or other updates? I'm currently looking at this or the 4iii podium power and so far it's looking like 4iii all the way, being my first PM, I want a good experience and not one plagued with these kinds of issues from day one
AFAIK there are also some problems with the 4iiii (see here in the forum)....

Powermeters without any problems are Power2Max and Pioneer.

BTW some problems can be addressed with an update, some others not....
I've heard the Power 2 max is rock solid but it's a pain to setup with Shimano (need rotor crank arms etc.) L/R balance is an estimation / algorithm that's calculated based on assumptions as you ride and a heavier alternative, so this isn't the path i'm keen on. The pioneer seems good, but i'm never going to use the Pioneer computer so that's not an attractive option when I can have a factory backed PM at a good price (im in Aus)....i'm leaning now toward the Shimano, supply for 4iii is 2 months away and the bike shop has pushed out many of the Shimano's without any complaints....i'm putting it down to isolated events /exceptions and not the rule.

I'll check the 4iii threads too, thanks for the heads up!
Last edited by chrispana on Fri May 11, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chrispana

by chrispana

Does anybody use the K-Edge Braze-On chain catcher with SRM magnet with the 9100p?