Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

After reading the BikeRadar review, I am very interested to hear what DCRainmaker has to say about the unit. I know that he has a unit he is currently testing. Let's hope it's not too long before he posts his thoughts.

mds

by mds

In zone 4 and 5 with the R9100-P my power balance is about 51/49 +/- 1%. In lower zones 1 to 3 it is more out of balance at about 54/46 +/- 2%. I understand that this sort of zone variation is typical. My prior powermeter was also an SRM so I can't compare, but I have compared the R9100-P total to my Tax Neo Smart. IMO my R9100-P is likely operating within its specifications.
2009 Look 595

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Have 2 of these on 2 different bikes. Superb and hasn’t missed a beat. Balance has been 51/49 or 52/48 each ride which is the same as my old vectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squint

by Squint

I get max cadence of 300+ every ride and L/R of up to 63/37 with my Infocrank in magnet-less mode. Gimme back my magnets...

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I have noticed also similar problems with Garmin and Stages having really inconsistent cadence with occasional spikes. Magnet is way more relialable
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

TonyM

by TonyM

Still waiting for my DA powermeter but quite scared by this review:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/shim ... er-review/

I may go for the cheap Stages or Pioneer left crank and switch to DA when all these problems are solved...

pritchet74

by pritchet74

TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:50 pm
Still waiting for my DA powermeter but quite scared by this review:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/shim ... er-review/

I may go for the cheap Stages or Pioneer left crank and switch to DA when all these problems are solved...
Ya that review makes me happy that I never sold any of my SRMs to get one of those.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

nickstea

by nickstea

I’ve been using mine regularly since November and it has been perfect. It’s so good I splurged for a second one on my other bike. I have zero complaints. Has not needed a charge in 2000+ mi on bike. If anyone is thinking about it, pull the trigger

Ps- the balance has been 51/49, same as my SRM.

TonyM

by TonyM

To me that's one of the big advantage of the DA powermeter claiming 300 hours for their battery. Stages and Pioneer are approx. 200 hours. 4iiii is 100 hours only.
I biked 12,000 to 15,000 km per year year and I have already the batteries of my Garmin, front light, rear light, Di2 and iPhone to manage....

One of the disadvantage of the DA is the zero offset to be done before each ride (my P2M doesn't need that as it is performed automatically).

Some will argue that zero offset calibration is not taking a long time and part of the routine but nowadays the routine is getting longer and longer with all these things (Garmin, iPhone settings for the ride, etc...). I just want to take my bike and ride....

Pulling the trigger is nice but what if you don't get one as Shimano seems to have difficulties to deliver them (I am in Canada and ordered these last September and so far they have not arrived...)

hogehoge

by hogehoge

I have a R9100-P, I've seen the left/right imbalances and in my case it seems to be caused by not calibrating with the crank arms in the correct position. I'm comparing them to some pedal based meters which need to be calibrated in a different a position and was just calibrating everything together. When I calibrate each PM in the correct position I get consistent tracking of L/R balance across the PMs

spartan

by spartan

bikeradar journalistic integrity is so-so. waiting for dc rainmaker/shane miller reviews before making the decision.

most of the reported issues are software related i am sure shimano will address them .
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

nickstea

by nickstea

spartan wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 am
bikeradar journalistic integrity is so-so. waiting for dc rainmaker/shane miller reviews before making the decision.

most of the reported issues are software related i am sure shimano will address them .
I wonder whats taking DC rainmaker so long to put out a review. Ive already had it for 3 months

TonyM

by TonyM

nickstea wrote:
spartan wrote:

I wonder whats taking DC rainmaker so long to put out a review. Ive already had it for 3 months
He may also have some issues (like cycling news L/R) and discussed these with Shimano and is waiting for the final status in order to release its review.

Not all Pro Teams have their DA powermeters also (Sky still using the Stages from last season)

lobuxracer

by lobuxracer

Installed mine at the beginning of the month, but have had a newborn in the house and crappy weather, so didn't get out with it until last week. Imbalance was the same as Bike Radar reported, and my Edge 520 has a whole separate display for this unit that gives a pretty interesting graphic. Since this is my first powermeter of any kind, I have no ability to compare it to anything, but I am right footed and my left was 52%, right 48% overall average. Garmin says my torque effectiveness was 50/48, and my pedal smoothness 16%L and 15%R.

The downside of single instrument testing is, there is no way to know if it is me or the device causing the issue. With the condition of my neck from C4 to C7, it could easily be me.
lance - no, not that guy, I started racing in 1976.
1980 A-D Ultima
1999 Softride TT
2013 Cervelo S5 Team LE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

nickstea wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:20 am
spartan wrote:

They were meant to send it to him by the end of Sept, then became November. He got it about a month ago I believe. They finally sent it, and he got it before heading here down under. Will be testing over the next few months in Perth, so I suspect a bit longer to wait.

Hopefully price drop by then :lol:
It's all about the adventure :o .