Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

wingguy wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:45 pm
cdncyclist wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:03 pm
You may consider it a 'known bug', I am simply trying to obtain more information as the data presented thus far isn't unequivocal in my opinion (and I am still sorting through if detecting small differences in R/L power have any meaningful impact on training and racing, but that is another story entirely).
Sure, but if L/R balance isn't important then there's no point paying the premium for the two seperate power meters that make up an R9100P. A spider based unit like a Quarq Dfour/Dzero does the same job with only one set of electronics.
Individuals may make purchases based on a variety of factors; accurate L/R vs. overall is one of several, one that probably deserves its own thread as it is not specific to this powermeter. If anyone has some high quality evidence on this I am all ears!

Herb999

by Herb999

wingguy wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:45 pm
cdncyclist wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:03 pm
You may consider it a 'known bug', I am simply trying to obtain more information as the data presented thus far isn't unequivocal in my opinion (and I am still sorting through if detecting small differences in R/L power have any meaningful impact on training and racing, but that is another story entirely).
Sure, but if L/R balance isn't important then there's no point paying the premium for the two seperate power meters that make up an R9100P. A spider based unit like a Quarq Dfour/Dzero does the same job with only one set of electronics.
Your right, the R9100P is market as dual sided Powermeter. And as such a product it has to work correctly in that sector. Maybe not yet, but Shimano will bring it to life for shure .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Last week used the 9100p and Vector 3 at the same time for about a 52km ride.. Result? Same 51-49 LR balance on both power meters.

Had a Pioneer dual-side pm and that always reported 48-52. Which is right? Two data points vs one.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Were the Vector 3s just installed? They need about one ride to "settle." My first ride after installing my Vectors resulted in 49-51, when usually I'm 52-48. I'm right-legged, but it's not atypical for right-legged people to have more power in their left leg (plant leg.)

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Have been using the Vector 3s for about two weeks and about 200k. The 9100p for probably 800k and its been consistent over that distance. Btw I'm right handed.

M8ey

by M8ey

Thats an interesting read by DC Rainmaker.

Doesnt make the Shimano come out shining but he does put a good argument as to the L / R balance issue.

ms6073

by ms6073

M8ey wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am
Doesn't make the Shimano come out shining
Seemed to me he mainly nit-picked over silly things like lack of blue-tooth power data transmission, white magnet cover (I use K-Edge Pro), and price point as compared to other players were the main points of contention, but L/R balance aside, seems like the nuts and bolts of the Shimano powermeter were pretty solid.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm
M8ey wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am
Doesn't make the Shimano come out shining
Seemed to me he mainly nit-picked over silly things like lack of blue-tooth power data transmission, white magnet cover (I use K-Edge Pro), and price point as compared to other players were the main points of contention, but L/R balance aside, seems like the nuts and bolts of the Shimano powermeter were pretty solid.
Agree, that was my take also

guyc

by guyc

I thought the opposite. He raised some valid points like the use of a magnet (seems bizarre in 2018), the crappy battery cover will break at some point and it will be a ballache to find a replacement for.

Personally I can't see why you'd spend £200+ more on this over a Stages Gen3 or 4iii dual when the Shimano has a number of compromises that seem flat-out odd or poorly executed.

I suspect the next gen ones will be bang-on though.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

Well, now we are comparing the relative favourableness of reviews of alternate powermeters.

I haven't read 4i, but the gen 3 stages review from dcrainmaker had several issues identified also.

But you are right, the R9100-P isn't perfect by any means.

ms6073

by ms6073

guyc wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:21 pm
Personally I can't see why you'd spend £200+ more on this over a Stages Gen3 or 4iii dual
As a long time SRM user who recently switched to the R9100-P, I already had the K-Edge Pro so it was very much insert into the BB and go ride. Sure I though about the Stages PM but wife and I spend a couple hours a week on Tacx Neo trainer, and care to guess which PM Tacx forum users complained the most about power discrepancies between the Neo and powermeter?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 pm
guyc wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:21 pm
Personally I can't see why you'd spend £200+ more on this over a Stages Gen3 or 4iii dual
As a long time SRM user who recently switched to the R9100-P, I already had the K-Edge Pro so it was very much insert into the BB and go ride. Sure I though about the Stages PM but wife and I spend a couple hours a week on Tacx Neo trainer, and care to guess which PM Tacx forum users complained the most about power discrepancies between the Neo and powermeter?
I use the Stage Gen2 (left side only) beside my P2M and the Tacx Neo and I see indeed some discrepency between the Stage and the P2M/ Neo.
To me it is also related to the fact that the Stage Gen2 is left only and we know that the balance L/R is different depending on the % of the FTP. So multipliying the left leg by two just doesn't work on all the power curve. I suppose that the dual sided Stages Gen3 are much improved therefore.

But for me I have on orders 2 Dura Ace powermeters (still not available in Canada :evil: ) and I will not switch to 4iiii dual or Stages dual as I prefer to have the powermeter in the E-tube app like my Di2 stuff.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Fitted my new Dura Ace Power on Monday of this week, fitting and set up was easy and trouble free and so far 4 rides and 180 miles and no issues to report. Left and Right balance is also reporting the same as my vectors where reporting last week and no spikes or drop outs to report. Very happy so far but time will tell.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

With last firmware update my R9100P is now reading 51/49 L/R. This is within margin of error and I am happy now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com