Shimano R9100-P Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Asmith wrote:has anyone managed to secure a delivery the power meter with 170mm cranks. Ive been waiting since April and now was told today by there lbs that the delivery date is another month away. Hardly a major issue as its winter now for me but how can you tell someone on the day of delivery that its another month away.

Yes. Bought 170mm set with chainwheels at LBS in Japan 10 days ago. Priced at 140,000 yen.

mds

by mds

Regarding FC-R9100-P firmware updates, see here.

As of today, latest firmware: version 4.0.6 dated Sep 6, 2017 bug fixing.

Shimano NA tells me that some early R9100-P shipments may not have this version and should be updated.

I updated mine today using the iPhone E-TUBE app.

Enable Bluetooth on iPhone, launch E-TUBE, press the R9100-P button, complete the connection, and update (if needed).

Note: Prior to this update, neither SRM nor Garmin head displayed zero offset value accurately. The update fixes this problem.
2009 Look 595

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asmith

by Asmith

shonanmike wrote:
Asmith wrote:has anyone managed to secure a delivery the power meter with 170mm cranks. Ive been waiting since April and now was told today by there lbs that the delivery date is another month away. Hardly a major issue as its winter now for me but how can you tell someone on the day of delivery that its another month away.

Yes. Bought 170mm set with chainwheels at LBS in Japan 10 days ago. Priced at 140,000 yen.

Ok thanks for the reply. So they are out there then. anyone from the UK having one yet with 170mm cranks?

bas

by bas

I find power data does not upload to Strava from device agent/PC8 correctly. If i have done intervals the lap power on strava is always way different to actual recorded. Don't use Strava for anything other than the odd bunch ride upload so doesn't matter but interesting to note

mds

by mds

bas wrote:I find power data does not upload to Strava from device agent/PC8 correctly. If i have done intervals the lap power on strava is always way different to actual recorded. Don't use Strava for anything other than the odd bunch ride upload so doesn't matter but interesting to note

Regarding Strava, PC8 GPS sometimes has trouble with accuracy, causing Strava to miss segments occasionally.

Most of the time it is OK.

But here is an example where PC8 GPS is not good. First map is iPhone 7 Plus, second PC8. With PC8, Strava missed segments along this ~5km canyon climb.
Attachments
2017_11_11 iPhone 7 Plus GPS.jpg
2017_11_14 SRM PC8 GPS.jpg
2009 Look 595

PinaF8

by PinaF8

mds wrote:
bas wrote:I find power data does not upload to Strava from device agent/PC8 correctly. If i have done intervals the lap power on strava is always way different to actual recorded. Don't use Strava for anything other than the odd bunch ride upload so doesn't matter but interesting to note

Regarding Strava, PC8 GPS sometimes has trouble with accuracy, causing Strava to miss segments occasionally.

Most of the time it is OK.

But here is an example where PC8 GPS is not good. First map is iPhone 7 Plus, second PC8. With PC8, Strava missed segments along this ~5km canyon climb.

Have you tried looking at the mapping graph in SRMX?

I’ve quit paying attention to Strava and their segments a while back. I still upload my rides and trainings but the focus mainly is to get stronger and not chase Strava segments.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

mds

by mds

PinaF8 wrote:Have you tried looking at the mapping graph in SRMX?

I’ve quit paying attention to Strava and their segments a while back. I still upload my rides and trainings but the focus mainly is to get stronger and not chase Strava segments.

Yes, it is OK. Map quality and ease of use are better in TrainingPeaks IMO.
2009 Look 595

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

My LBS installed the unit on my C60 yesterday. Everything went well except the magnet is too tall that it was hitting the spiders. My LBS wrench solved the problem by removing the rubber cover and leaving the magnet 'naked' on the chainstay. For some reason Shimano makes the rubber cover so tall that there is plenty of empty space between the magnet and cover. A side note is the 2-side tape from Shimano is so strong that we were having trouble removing the magnet. (we were thinking about using lower-profile Pioneer magnet) Now I'm worrying there can be paint damage when I need to remove the magnet few years from now.

Data looks good from the 1:30 lunch time training ride.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I understand that the R9100-P sends power data only via ANT+ now, and that data via BLE is coming in an update. Does anyone know if the update will be firmware only and will work with previously shipped power meters, or is it a hardware update and previous buyers are SOL?

mds

by mds

eaglejackson wrote:I understand that the R9100-P sends power data only via ANT+ now, and that data via BLE is coming in an update. Does anyone know if the update will be firmware only and will work with previously shipped power meters, or is it a hardware update and previous buyers are SOL?

My R9100-P includes Bluetooth hardware. Bluetooth communication is activated and used by the E-TUBE app to update R9100-P's firmware. Also, while the app is connected, the app can display power and cadence. Both of these functions (update and display) work on my unit.
2009 Look 595

charmette1261

by charmette1261

There is advantage or inconvenient to use PC8 with 9100P compared to an Garmin unit ?
I have a PC8.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

mds wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:I understand that the R9100-P sends power data only via ANT+ now, and that data via BLE is coming in an update. Does anyone know if the update will be firmware only and will work with previously shipped power meters, or is it a hardware update and previous buyers are SOL?

My R9100-P includes Bluetooth hardware. Bluetooth communication is activated and used by the E-TUBE app to update R9100-P's firmware. Also, while the app is connected, the app can display power and cadence. Both of these functions (update and display) work on my unit.

Thanks. Presumably then a firmware update will allow power data to be displayed on a normal BLE capable headunit?

mds

by mds

charmette1261 wrote:There is advantage or inconvenient to use PC8 with 9100P compared to an Garmin unit ?
I have a PC8.

I see two issues with my R9100-P/PC8 setup.

- My PC8 displays and logs a power spike nearly every 64 seconds. The spike is typically 1.5x of the 5s average power. My Garmin 500 neither displays nor logs these power spikes.

- My PC8 GPS's accuracy occasionally suffers in canyons, compared to my iPhone 7 Plus and the newer Garmin's, causing occasional missing segments in Strava.

It could be the problems are specific to my units. I am still investigating.
2009 Look 595

PinaF8

by PinaF8

mds wrote:
charmette1261 wrote:There is advantage or inconvenient to use PC8 with 9100P compared to an Garmin unit ?
I have a PC8.

I see two issues with my R9100-P/PC8 setup.

- My PC8 displays and logs a power spike nearly every 64 seconds. The spike is typically 1.5x of the 5s average power. My Garmin 500 neither displays nor logs these power spikes.

- My PC8 GPS's accuracy occasionally suffers in canyons, compared to my iPhone 7 Plus and the newer Garmin's, causing occasional missing segments in Strava.

It could be the problems are specific to my units. I am still investigating.

Oddly, I don’t have those spikes when paired to SRM 9000 powermeter.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

mds

by mds

eaglejackson wrote:Thanks. Presumably then a firmware update will allow power data to be displayed on a normal BLE capable headunit?

Presumably, and maybe the app will support switching between communication modes?
2009 Look 595

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com