Cycling short pads - your thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

That survey is fine, but it is obviously based on questions related to someone's experience. There aren't enough questions to help one make a purchase.

You forgot to ask about durability. So for example I answered everything about Assos bibs. It got top scores based on what you asked. But you never asked about durability, and the latest assos shorts are so thin and shitty in the lycra where the chamois attach. Holes at the end of the stitch develop after only a couple hundred miles. It's happened to 3 pair in a row of Equipe model assos shorts. For me, riding and racing 300+ miles per week in season, this is bullshit. So even if they are the best feeling shorts out of the box, they are wack in the long term. It's like weak, thin nylons that rip, with a pad. Pactimo summit raptor or Castelli bibs are not as luxe on the dong but hold up over time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

Just for fun I sent a bunch of nonsense submissions because you really need to redo that whole thing.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

How can Giordana be absent from your survey? Crazy.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

kervelo

by kervelo

tinozee wrote:?..the latest assos shorts are so thin and shitty in the lycra where the chamois attach. Holes at the end of the stitch develop after only a couple hundred miles. It's happened to 3 pair in a row of Equipe model assos shorts...

That does not sound normal for Assos bibs. Have you checked your saddle, seat post clamp, etc.to see if there is something that destroys your bibs so quickly?

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Yeah you're probably wearing them wrong

sp3000

by sp3000

I love my Assos for comfort, but oh boy, they last about 5 min. The chamois stays great but the lycra fades to nothing in the Australian sun, I get absolutely max 12 months before they are so thin and faded I can't be seen in public with them.. I'm not sure what to buy now, I had 3 pairs of campanissimos when you could buy them about half price out of the UK, now they seem to all be back around retail and there is no way they are worth full price..

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

They fade to nothing here too, you're lucky if they stay off-brown for a whole season

froze

by froze

I've had several good shorts, but could only select one, so I selected Pearl Izumi since I ride most of the time currently with those; but I do use a Performance short and I was very surprise at the comfort they have, in fact they rival the more expensive Pearl Izumi though I think the Pearl Izumi breath a tiny bit better, but pad comfort for setting I can't really tell much difference, though the price difference is considerable. I've also had Canari, Louis Garneau, Sugoi, and Cannondale which wasn't very good in comfort which surprised me since they started out as a clothing and touring pannier bags along with trailers and bags for those before they got into making bikes, so i thought the shorts would be top notch...nope. Anyway from now on I'll only buy Performance or Pearl Izumi, those two seem to work the best of the brands that I've tried.

sp3000

by sp3000

Can anyone comment on sizing for Castelli, I ride a large Assos and have seen some good prices on the top Castelli bibs that might be worth a try?

kervelo

by kervelo

I use size L from Assos and size XL from Castelli.

sp3000

by sp3000

How do you find the Castelli? Are they worth the saving?

kervelo

by kervelo

Imo Castelli is good, although I prefer Assos as my every day summer bibs. I am not able to do a good direct comparison between them, because the bibs I have from Castelli are for different purpose: cold weather, water repellent bibs, for example.

At the moment you may get Assos bibs even cheaper than Castelli; depending on model, of course. Check for example assos.com and assosfactoryoutlet.com for their special priced items.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

tinozee wrote:Just for fun I sent a bunch of nonsense submissions because you really need to redo that whole thing.

I love how savage we are here at WW's. If you come here looking for our input you had better have your shit together. :P We don't hold back.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

sp3000 wrote:I love my Assos for comfort, but oh boy, they last about 5 min. The chamois stays great but the lycra fades to nothing in the Australian sun, I get absolutely max 12 months before they are so thin and faded I can't be seen in public with them.. I'm not sure what to buy now, I had 3 pairs of campanissimos when you could buy them about half price out of the UK, now they seem to all be back around retail and there is no way they are worth full price..

Can I ask about washing and sweat?

Sports clothing will rot in salt water, much like diving equipment. If you ever Scuba dive you will know that the first thing you do when you come out of the ocean is that you rinse everything in fresh water. Sweat is just the same. So if you want your sports clothing to last, you should try to rinse it / wash it immediately. Leaving it before washing it will degrade it. If you are very sweaty, then this will exacerbate the problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com