Bontrager R4 Tubular tyres - views?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Anyone tried these? Look like vittoria cases with different compound tread. How do they compare to veloflex carbon?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I have never been on veloflex carbons. But have been riding R4 tubs for a little over 2 years now exclusively. Train on them all year long. They are a Vittoria with a latex tube. Puncture resistance is great. The only time it get flats on them is when it's extreme, would have trashed any tire.

clm2206

by clm2206

Brontrager or Zipp doesn't make tubulars nor clinchers. On the pros side, they all are Veloflex, FMB and Dugast. Not even Conti tubs are real Continental when fitted on pro bikes, no latex inner tube in real Contis.

For the last two years I've using Veloflex Corsa clinchers with Vittoria latex inner tubes for training and Veloflex Carbon or Aremberg for racing. They rock, a whole different level.

Enviado desde mi SM-E700M mediante Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

I wouldn't say a whole different level. I used veloflex Masters for some time with latex tubes. The R4s feel the same when it comes to road feel and don't flat nearly as often. I could care less what the pros ride.

clm2206

by clm2206

I'd bet R4s are made by Veloflex. If R4s are a danger in wet surface, then they are made by Vittoria and if not, they are made by Veloflex. You should care what pros really use, that's the best material.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

clm2206 wrote:I'd bet R4s are made by Veloflex. If R4s are a danger in wet surface, then they are made by Vittoria and if not, they are made by Veloflex. You should care what pros really use, that's the best material.

No, it is who pays the most $$.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Pro's use what their team is sponsored by and not all the time they agree with their equipment.
Don't base your buying decisions off of what pros run. Aero testing will not make you gain more time on your local group ride.
Wind tested products will not make you get to the coffee shop any faster than non aero tested products..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

clm2206

by clm2206

Fisherfreerider wrote:
clm2206 wrote:I'd bet R4s are made by Veloflex. If R4s are a danger in wet surface, then they are made by Vittoria and if not, they are made by Veloflex. You should care what pros really use, that's the best material.

No, it is who pays the most $$.

Correct, who pays the most show their brand, but the stuff probably is made by third parties.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

I used R4s for the last 1.5 years and they were great. The rear tires typically lasted about 2000-2500 miles (I'm 185lb); the front easily double that, usually until the tread was totally bare. Fairly flat resistant on our crappy roads, typically flatted when I hit some catastrophic stuff (box knife, marble sized piece of ceramic, fist sized rock that eventually slashed the sidewall). Trek rep said they are made in the Vittoria factory in Thailand with Trek's designated tread and hard case lite protection belt. Great tire if you can get a deal, but I wouldn't pay full sticker.