Colnago master Arabesque build help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

Hi guys i am looking at buying this frameset and need some help on what to build it with and can i run modern
equipment,like headset size etc etc.
I can build modern bikes no probs at all any help would be great thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-Maste ... SwnF9Y6SgG
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The ebay listing will tip you off on the headset right away - 1" threadless, external.
Some quick research on the newly produced Arabesque frames will fill in the other gaps.
You'll want to consider Campagnolo and on that frame an older grouppo may look more aesthetically approproate.
You may be able to source some 8, 9 or 10 speed grouppos at a good price.
Campagnolo 1" threadless external headsets are also still available in a high polish that would suit that build.
Consider sourcing some 26.0 bars and an older 26.0 stem (which you'll need for the fork steerer anyway / or use a 31.8 with a shim down to 26.0, but that might be too chunky for this build.)
A set of standard box rimmed wheels and you are good to go.
Keep this build classic. Trying to cobble carbon on there such as carbon bottle cages, will be disappointing.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

You can run all modern equipment on it if that's they way you want to go, I basically did that on my Master 30th. Campy still make 1" external headsets, so do CK I think. You'll need a shim to fill out the 1" steerer to fit a modern stem but other than that it's all the same as any other build.

MJB

by MJB

Purely subjectively - I find retro style quill stems look so much better on 'noodle' thin tube diameter steel frames. A modern ahead stem that is thicker than the frame tube looks out of place (to my tastes anyway)

FWIW I could nnot find a comfortable ergonomic handlebar in 26mm diameter so I had a quill stem custom made to take 31.6mm clamp bars.

I built my Colnago Master X Light with the aforementioned Campagnolo 1" threaded headset and because I insist upon compact cranks I compromised on period correctness and built my frame up with all silver Athena UT 11 speed. You can build with the all silver Campag gruppos as your frame will have Italian threaded BB for which Campag make appropriate BB cups.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

My "period correct" 2012 Master 30th anniversary build

markyboy

by markyboy

Zakalwe wrote:My "period correct" 2012 Master 30th anniversary build

Very nice indeed.
My questions are things like cutting the steerer and how does the headset fit if it's quill stem ? I am so up to date on new stuff
But not the old
Ps how does it ride compared to say a ti which I have and find really comfy and say a carbon frame
I have a c60
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It's not a quill stem on that, there's a shim over the steerer that's 1/8" thick, so I could attach that -17 stem the usual way.

It rides really nicely, prefer the feel to my 2010 Cento Uno and it's stiffer than that frame. People stop and talk to you a lot when you ride it. It's just a touch heavy really, haven't built my C60 yet to compare the two.