Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 pm
Posts: 10
I love my direct mount brakes on my Canyon Aeroad - serious stopping power!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 120
Direct mount brakes on the C60 is an option now.
You can order one with DM without any extra charge or lead time.


Top
   
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:09 pm
Posts: 150
I really like them, although I don't own them, yet

_________________
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4770
I posted sort of the same thing when the topic came up in a Colnago related thread but probably should have more appropriately posted it here....

Do you see any advantage to the DM brakes, say Shimano latest DM brakes compared to Shimanos latest 9100 standard mount brakes?

- Clearance?... Not really. If clearance was really an issue and you want to run 30mm+ tires (28's fit just fine under the standard mount 9100 calipers), I would think you'd want disc brakes over either standard or DM rim brakes.

- Stiffness: After installing a few 9100 standard mount calipers, I can't see great gains being made there from DM brakes, at least not any that would make one bit of difference. The standard mounts are very very stiff. I don't think any more would be a noticeable improvement in performance.

- Simplicity: Nothing is as simple to install and maintain as a standard mount dual pivot caliper. There are some that say the standard mount calipers are more prone to getting knocked off center. I have to wonder if those calipers are properly torqued to the frame. I tried moving my calipers off center, and it is not easy. A simple knock of the wheel during removal and install would not do this for sure. In any case, that has certainly never been an issue for my bikes. So for Shimano: 8-10Nm, Campagnolo: 10-12Nm. Check it. With a torque wrench. Then see how easy they get knocked off center.

I'm just having a really tough time seeing any actual real benefit to a DM brake, over the current crop of Standard mount brakes (especially the Shimano 9100). I think the brake choice these days is really between rim calipers or discs, and for the rim brakes I think I'm still preferring the standard mounts given some of the convoluted contraptions I've seen in the direct mount space... so ugly and unrefined looking and in some cases, much more finicky to set up.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm
Posts: 306
I suggested some yrs ago on another channel the brake be moved in that position.. yet the tire surface used as braking friction. Course all the 'queens' went for 'spoon brake' reference. No.. simple HYDRAULIC lever that sent against tire surface. No pad to soil... come home and take the hose to it... no fuss. No rim interference setting the tire in either.

But.. I have a few ideas that don't pan out... :mrgreen:

Oh.. I imagined a roller.. the more tension the less the roller would ride along the tire surface. Disc brake like.. using tire.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 pm
Posts: 149
Calnago wrote:
I posted sort of the same thing when the topic came up in a Colnago related thread but probably should have more appropriately posted it here....

Do you see any advantage to the DM brakes, say Shimano latest DM brakes compared to Shimanos latest 9100 standard mount brakes?

- Clearance?... Not really. If clearance was really an issue and you want to run 30mm+ tires (28's fit just fine under the standard mount 9100 calipers), I would think you'd want disc brakes over either standard or DM rim brakes.

- Stiffness: After installing a few 9100 standard mount calipers, I can't see great gains being made there from DM brakes, at least not any that would make one bit of difference. The standard mounts are very very stiff. I don't think any more would be a noticeable improvement in performance.

- Simplicity: Nothing is as simple to install and maintain as a standard mount dual pivot caliper. There are some that say the standard mount calipers are more prone to getting knocked off center. I have to wonder if those calipers are properly torqued to the frame. I tried moving my calipers off center, and it is not easy. A simple knock of the wheel during removal and install would not do this for sure. In any case, that has certainly never been an issue for my bikes. So for Shimano: 8-10Nm, Campagnolo: 10-12Nm. Check it. With a torque wrench. Then see how easy they get knocked off center.

I'm just having a really tough time seeing any actual real benefit to a DM brake, over the current crop of Standard mount brakes (especially the Shimano 9100). I think the brake choice these days is really between rim calipers or discs, and for the rim brakes I think I'm still preferring the standard mounts given some of the convoluted contraptions I've seen in the direct mount space... so ugly and unrefined looking and in some cases, much more finicky to set up.

Have you used DM Brakes yourself? Determining whether they are stiffer by looking at them isn't the best method.

I have not used them, ordered a Transonic frameset this week. If there is no advantage, well, I won't be sad. I'll be happy if they just perform as well as current single mount brakes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4770
Haven't used them, but certainly done more than just look at them. I've yanked and pushed and yelled at them while mounted. I've just been comparing to Shimano 9100 as the standard right now, which I own, have used and ridden. The 9100 standard mount calipers are very stiff under the yanking and pushing test (haven't yelled at them yet). But yes, as you suggest, there is nothing to be wanting for stiffness in the current 9100 standard mounts, so any more, if there in fact is, will kind of be moot don't you think. Plus, some of the stiffness with DM mounts will definitely be a function of the seat stays on the frame itself. A little bit like when mountain bikes had cantilever brakes etc and brake boosters between the bosses of the forks and stays were installed to prevent the forks and seatstays from splaying out when the brakes were applied. The new standard mount 9100 calipers have little "brake boosters" built in. Some frames for DM brakes still have full bridges going across from stay to stay, but not all. In those cases, the brake itself would have to have some serious support in between to achieve the same stiffness.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 pm
Posts: 149
What combination would you guys use with a SRAM Red22 groupset, DA 9100? Is there any better combination? DA 9000 DM brakes seem hard to come by already; EEs are too expensive for my liking. Campa dm brake is quite heavy, as is the offering by TRP. Any other possibilities?

The brakes are for my newly acquired Fuji Transonic frameset, so no brake under the chainstay, "normal" direct mount brake front and rear.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Posts: 357
Location: Seattle, WA
Lieblingsleguan wrote:
What combination would you guys use with a SRAM Red22 groupset, DA 9100? Is there any better combination? DA 9000 DM brakes seem hard to come by already; EEs are too expensive for my liking. Campa dm brake is quite heavy, as is the offering by TRP. Any other possibilities?

The brakes are for my newly acquired Fuji Transonic frameset, so no brake under the chainstay, "normal" direct mount brake front and rear.


you can get them for cheap ($170USD) on ebay from reputable sellers

_________________
BMC Teammachine SLR01 (2018) | Rodriguez Rainier (2015)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Loveland, CO
The 9000 DM brakes are actually lighter than the 9100 DM brakes. I have the 9000 DM brakes on my Transonic frame.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 pm
Posts: 149
I am based in Germany, so US eBay sellers don't help unfortunately. I actually can't find the rear brake that I want (Shimano BR-9010RS).
I will probably go with Ultegra BR-6810 then which are a lot cheaper than BR-9110 compared to the extra weight they come with.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:27 am
Posts: 27
DM is a game changer. They came standard on my Canyon Aeroad and solved the issue of having to adjust my brakes all the time. 6000km's in now and I haven't had to touch them once.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 1001
pdlpsher1 wrote:
The 9000 DM brakes are actually lighter than the 9100 DM brakes. I have the 9000 DM brakes on my Transonic frame.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What's the weight of your 9000 DM? My standard are 150 grams (front) + 144 grams (rear).

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Last edited by mpulsiv on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:16 pm
Posts: 34
I rode DA DM for a whole Race season and also trained on the bike in wet and dry conditions.

My opinion: I didn't really notice any difference in the real world.

It requires another hole/mounting point in a bikes fork and rear stay for manufacturers to mess up or misalign when one hole works just fine.

I notice that some MTB manufacturers have gone back to screw in BB......new isn't always best!


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am
Posts: 278
pdlpsher1 wrote:
The 9000 DM brakes are actually lighter than the 9100 DM brakes. I have the 9000 DM brakes on my Transonic frame.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you notice anything better in 9110-F?
like power for wide rim or clearance?

I move away from 9010-F because on very wide rim (28mm) Dura-ace brake seems to lose some of their magical braking performance. Bontrager Speedstop seems to brake equal or better. I wonder if 9100 is still the same (plus heavier)


Top
   
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. eeBrake Direct Mount Brake - issues with +2017 versions

in Road

nettic

13

1437

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 pm

topflightpro View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Campagnolo compatible Direct Mount Bottom Bracket Brake Suggestions

in Road

J.v.S.

5

752

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 pm

J.v.S. View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Direct mount 1x chainring for Rotor 3D?

in Road

bkw

1

440

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:13 pm

basurper View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. ee brakes direct mount - spare parts?

in Road

micky

8

1058

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:58 pm

kode54 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Stages Power Meter and Direct Mount Brakes

in Road

Wildh

6

390

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Wildh View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bikerjulio, cyclenutnz, evan326, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], GothicCastle, TobinHatesYou and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited