Why no love for direct mount rim brake?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

corky wrote:Note that Colnago C60 and DeRosa Protos have their direct mount brake locations in the regular position i.e. Seatstay mounted.

I think the pros don't like the chainstay mounted brake location as it is more obvious that their car mounted mechanics cannot 'adjust the rear brake' / assist the tired rider with a sneaky tow.

Not aware that C60 has direct mount. Is this an option?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lwk

by lwk

ghisallo2003 wrote:
corky wrote:Note that Colnago C60 and DeRosa Protos have their direct mount brake locations in the regular position i.e. Seatstay mounted.

I think the pros don't like the chainstay mounted brake location as it is more obvious that their car mounted mechanics cannot 'adjust the rear brake' / assist the tired rider with a sneaky tow.

Not aware that C60 has direct mount. Is this an option?

Was wondering the same?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Yes:

Delorre

by Delorre

Those are not production c60 frames. The only ones with direct mount location was the 60th anniversary version as far as I know.

ichobi

by ichobi

Wow didn't know the team had that version. Tried the C60 and it was definitely standard mount brakes.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

Is there any other all-round framesets with direct mount brakes apart from Emonda SLR? Most of them tend to come with aero frames. AFAIK I spotted one such frame in CyclingTips at Taipei Cycle Show, albeit still in 'development' phase.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/taipei- ... day-three/

lowside67

by lowside67

exFictitiouZ wrote:Is there any other all-round framesets with direct mount brakes apart from Emonda SLR? Most of them tend to come with aero frames.

Domane SLR as well!

I am starting to think that will be my next bike.

Cheers,
Mark

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

LaPierre is one of the early adopters of direct mount brakes. But curiously they chose to only put direct mount brakes on the front :roll:

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

pdlpsher1 wrote:LaPierre is one of the early adopters of direct mount brakes. But curiously they chose to only put direct mount brakes on the front :roll:

The very first iteration of the Xelius SL did utilise bottom bracket direct-mount brake. After only one year of using such bike in WorldTour, Lapierre moved the rear brake to the traditional position using traditional single bolt. Reasons for the change were all too familiar.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Here's a very nice looking fork-brake integration by BTwin.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Anything that could not be done with a normal mount?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

In my experience the problem isn't modulation or power but how much contact the tire has with the road surface. Direct mount and disc do not solve either of these problems.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The bicycle was invented 200 years ago. It took 200 years of refinement to get us where we are today. Why should we stop now?

MikeD

by MikeD

I can see how DM brakes are stiffer, but I don't feel like my dual pivots are spongey. Thus, I don't think DM brakes are more powerful. Also, putting the rear brake under the chainstays is a bad idea and was abandoned on mountain bikes long ago; this is not to say that DM brakes aren't seatstay mounted. I do think DM brakes are an incremental improvement and probably lighter. If I were to buy a new carbon bike, I would definitely consider one with DM brakes.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Stormtrooper wrote:I just don't get the hate.

The haters are those who aren't using DM brakes. It's human nature to discuss how much they don't like anything they don't have, thus convincing themselves that they have made the right decision :D

Haters.. ?... so easily categorized just because their opine differs from the marketing forces at work?

21st century.. such as it is. OPEN discussion sans labeling works.

Adding... if I had to stop and dislodge a pebble I'd be annoyed. Never remember having to do this with old school brakes.. but now I ride cantilevers. Anyone remember those? :lol:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com