Why no love for direct mount rim brake?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Newer version of stages is sleeker so no more compatibility issues. I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Stormtrooper wrote:I can't even count how many times my standard da brakes shifted off center on my old bike
They never shifted so it wasn't worth counting, or they always shifted so you ran out of numbers?

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

They shifted more than I would have liked. If I had to choose between standard or direct mount, I'd choose direct mount every time. Dm are lighter, sleeker, stop better, can fit bigger tires if needed.

I just don't get the hate.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Didn't Matt hayman win Paris Roubaix on a Scott foil which had bb dm brake? Enuff said.
I wonder if he had any problems with dirt getting in his brakes or wheel rub when he outsprinted tom boonen.

PureSek

by PureSek

Stormtrooper wrote:Didn't Matt hayman win Paris Roubaix on a Scott foil which had bb dm brake? Enuff said.
I wonder if he had any problems with dirt getting in his brakes or wheel rub when he outsprinted tom boonen.

He's also got a mechanic who is responsible for its bike cleanness and functionality for each of his race afterall, so its hard to say when it comes to daily uses of non-pro riders.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

With the amount of clapped out not maintained high end gear I've seen its no wonder spme people struggle....
Using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

Stormtrooper wrote:They shifted more than I would have liked.
Weird. I have to recentre a caliper about once a year, if that. That's running eight or nine bikes with conventional rim brakes. And regular wheel removals/car boot transport.

corky

by corky

Note that Colnago C60 and DeRosa Protos have their direct mount brake locations in the regular position i.e. Seatstay mounted.

I think the pros don't like the chainstay mounted brake location as it is more obvious that their car mounted mechanics cannot 'adjust the rear brake' / assist the tired rider with a sneaky tow.

eric01

by eric01

The other thread with spy shots of the new BMC team machine looks to have direct mount brakes. So... some love from BMC
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Stormtrooper wrote:I just don't get the hate.

The haters are those who aren't using DM brakes. It's human nature to discuss how much they don't like anything they don't have, thus convincing themselves that they have made the right decision :D

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

The reduced clearance issue is a bigger deal than most realize. More than a few times a year I get caught in the rain or have to ride a portion of a ride in gravel or a gritty street.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Stormtrooper wrote: I can't even count how many times my standard da brakes shifted off center on my old bike.

Simple solution to this. When you cable brakes, do so with the brake fixing bolt loose. Set the cable length so the brake caliper is held perfectly centered before the brake fixing bolt is tightened. On most setups you can get the front brake near perfect, rear brakes are trickier but you can get close on many bikes.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Never once have I had to centre a dual pivot Campag brake; the rear single pivot once, but then I tightened the bolt a little more and never had to again.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Never had to center my Dura Ace or Ultegra brakes either. Must be SRAM :)
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Normal brakes have plenty of power. That's never a question, just not the modulation of DM brakes. You guys really have to try direct mount dura-ace. The modulation is pretty amazing, rivaling many disc system.

Aero arguments for putting brakes under bb is pretty much bollox according to a lot of engineers. Cervelo being one, that's why they don't put brakes under the bb, still comes out with the fastest bike in the bunch.

Having read all the comments, few reasons why manufacturers won't put DM on their bike (standard position not under bb shenanigan)

- Disc brakes are the $$$ why develop new frames just to have dm brakes when you can put r&d into making a better disc brake bikes.
- DM brakes are not standard-issue parts. Hard to find, upgrade, and replace (in some region at least). Hassle for buyers. (That's why Canyon aeroad frameset come equipped with brakes installed.)
- Standard brakes work well enough, as commented here.

Still, during the disc brake era gap, would be nice to have a few new bikes aero or all-round coming out with direct mount option for those of us who prefer rim brake bike.