Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am 

Newer version of stages is sleeker so no more compatibility issues. I think.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:31 am 

Stormtrooper wrote:
I can't even count how many times my standard da brakes shifted off center on my old bike
They never shifted so it wasn't worth counting, or they always shifted so you ran out of numbers?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 am 

They shifted more than I would have liked. If I had to choose between standard or direct mount, I'd choose direct mount every time. Dm are lighter, sleeker, stop better, can fit bigger tires if needed.

I just don't get the hate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:49 am 

Didn't Matt hayman win Paris Roubaix on a Scott foil which had bb dm brake? Enuff said.
I wonder if he had any problems with dirt getting in his brakes or wheel rub when he outsprinted tom boonen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 am 

Stormtrooper wrote:
Didn't Matt hayman win Paris Roubaix on a Scott foil which had bb dm brake? Enuff said.
I wonder if he had any problems with dirt getting in his brakes or wheel rub when he outsprinted tom boonen.

He's also got a mechanic who is responsible for its bike cleanness and functionality for each of his race afterall, so its hard to say when it comes to daily uses of non-pro riders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:08 am 

With the amount of clapped out not maintained high end gear I've seen its no wonder spme people struggle....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:02 am 

Stormtrooper wrote:
They shifted more than I would have liked.
Weird. I have to recentre a caliper about once a year, if that. That's running eight or nine bikes with conventional rim brakes. And regular wheel removals/car boot transport.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 am 

Note that Colnago C60 and DeRosa Protos have their direct mount brake locations in the regular position i.e. Seatstay mounted.

I think the pros don't like the chainstay mounted brake location as it is more obvious that their car mounted mechanics cannot 'adjust the rear brake' / assist the tired rider with a sneaky tow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm 

The other thread with spy shots of the new BMC team machine looks to have direct mount brakes. So... some love from BMC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

Stormtrooper wrote:
I just don't get the hate.

The haters are those who aren't using DM brakes. It's human nature to discuss how much they don't like anything they don't have, thus convincing themselves that they have made the right decision :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm 

The reduced clearance issue is a bigger deal than most realize. More than a few times a year I get caught in the rain or have to ride a portion of a ride in gravel or a gritty street.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 pm 

Stormtrooper wrote:
I can't even count how many times my standard da brakes shifted off center on my old bike.

Simple solution to this. When you cable brakes, do so with the brake fixing bolt loose. Set the cable length so the brake caliper is held perfectly centered before the brake fixing bolt is tightened. On most setups you can get the front brake near perfect, rear brakes are trickier but you can get close on many bikes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:15 pm 

Never once have I had to centre a dual pivot Campag brake; the rear single pivot once, but then I tightened the bolt a little more and never had to again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm 

Never had to center my Dura Ace or Ultegra brakes either. Must be SRAM :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm 

Normal brakes have plenty of power. That's never a question, just not the modulation of DM brakes. You guys really have to try direct mount dura-ace. The modulation is pretty amazing, rivaling many disc system.

Aero arguments for putting brakes under bb is pretty much bollox according to a lot of engineers. Cervelo being one, that's why they don't put brakes under the bb, still comes out with the fastest bike in the bunch.

Having read all the comments, few reasons why manufacturers won't put DM on their bike (standard position not under bb shenanigan)

- Disc brakes are the $$$ why develop new frames just to have dm brakes when you can put r&d into making a better disc brake bikes.
- DM brakes are not standard-issue parts. Hard to find, upgrade, and replace (in some region at least). Hassle for buyers. (That's why Canyon aeroad frameset come equipped with brakes installed.)
- Standard brakes work well enough, as commented here.

Still, during the disc brake era gap, would be nice to have a few new bikes aero or all-round coming out with direct mount option for those of us who prefer rim brake bike.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next