Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Posts: 7
kgt wrote:
I ride with Gaerne G Chrono which is practically the older G Stilo. These are best shoes I ever had (after DMT, Sidi and Vittoria). Handmade in Italy (yes, it matters), light, superstiff sole, top heel support, trusty BOA closure and great looks.
S-works are not that well made IMHO and the heel design is almost... non-existent. Certainly not as durable as the Gaerne either. Too expensive for what you get IMHO.


I used to wear Chronos and Stilos (Kobras and Sincros on the MTB side). Sizing differed significantly. In Chronos I was 43 which was absolutely perfect width with micro spare room in front of the toes. Stilos 43 were way too big. Stilos 42.5 were a bit too big. Stilos 42 were very snug. I decided to go with 42s but after a season I decided that Stilos were just not for my foot. The quality and shoe overall is fantastic. The only complaint I and many of my teammates have had - heel cup was two wide and we were often rubbing against the chainstay.

_________________
www.tiremaniacs.com
www.monton.us


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:33 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Cape Town - South Africa
3Pio wrote:
Im riding Specialized S-Works 2014 shoes for two years, and after first period of pain in the feet, they feel very nice (stiff, light, on the fly adjustability..) The size number is 27.5 cm or 43.

Today in my local shop they have on stock few pairs of Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017

http://www.gaerne.com/cycling/en/artico ... ilo/black/

And they have in sizes im interested. I can see that size 43 is 27 cm, size 44 is 27.5 (this feel big), and also there is size 43 1/2 and there is no cm printed on this size? So does someone know what is the size difference between 43 and 43 1/2 of this shoes? Does that mean that 43 1/2 should be 27.25 cm or 27 cm as well (like 43), but maybe bigger space in volume?


And cant find any review of this shoes.. What is ur opinion specialy compared to Specialized S-Works shoes?



review here ---- http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/cy ... ling-shoes


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 am 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
Ok, yesterday i had a chance to check Specialized S-Works 6 and Shimano shoes and to wear them for half an hour. Im using S-Works Gen 5 in last 10000 km in size 43 so i'll compare to them.

Since they did not have on stock 43, i tried 44 of the new gen 6, but still can notice some details, and they did not look good :)

The new version is trimmed of every excesse material (which mean lightweight but also uncomfortable). I like narrow heel cup, but here its like in ski boot, and feel uncomfortable. I hoped that bigger toe box will solve my problem after long summer ride to have pressure of my big Toe, but on new version is still here. They also feel very stiff, and i consider those shoes as shoes for riding not long time. More like shoes for braking personal records on 1-2 hour rides. Also do not like tongue part and how BOA works on them (it works perfect as long as u attach the wire, but first process of attaching the wire is a bit...)

Shimano S-Phyre RC9, they did not have my size as well (43), and only 45. So tried 45 for a while (2 sizes bigger), but had a chance to try S-Phyre RC7 in right size (guys in the shop told me that RC9 and RC7 are same shape/size), and the difference is stiffness and extra Boa.

Seem that they are ok for my Wide feet, but also heel is very wide so i had excess movement.Also i dont like how the tongue part and Boa correlate each other (not that bad as on S-Works 6, but still).

We had agreement with those guys to txt me as soon as they have S-Phyre RC9 in my size (so probably i'll go to try them again), but look that ill go for Gaerne G.Stilo and start understunding what KGT trying to say that Gaerne are much better quality then S-Works and similar... (tongue on Gaerne much better and comfortable. Whole shoes construction, how BOA works much better. The issues i have with Gaerne as i said before, maybe a bit narrower then i want, and maybe heel a bit wide.But for now they look like best compromise for my feets)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 51
Here's a review of those vs. Specialized (and others): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN-svHF_VeU


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
I decided to buy them.

Thanks for the help.

Shop let me keep them for a weekend to try at home (43, 43 1/2 and in the shop i tried 44). So i decided to go for 43 size which are 27 cm in length.My Specialized S Works are 43 but 27.5 cm

Just to know that 43 1/2 Gaerne are same length as 43, but more volume.

44 Gaerne are 27.5 (same length of my Specialized S-Works) but they feel big

I just mount the cleats, and will go for a test ride, so if someone is interested i'll share my experience after few rides..

Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 6678
Location: Athens, Greece
:thumbup:

_________________
My 6536gr TIME Skylon
My 9733gr COLNAGO Master X-light


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
First impression: I prefer S-Works for now.

Reason: On S-Works shoes i have, there is more snug feeling, on climbs and hard efforts they are part of the feet, no movement, but comfortable. Also they are definitely stiffer. On G.Stilo+ even i choose 43 (27 cm length compared to 27.5 cm S-Works), on climbs or very hard effort there is movement of my feet. It's not choice to go size smaller, since in length will be very painfull on my finger. Problem with Stilo is they have very high volume (and my feet is wide, but not high volume with narrow heel). Specialized is lower volume and narrower heel so probably better suited for my feet.

I hope the problem are G.Stilo+ insoles, which are very flat and non suportive. Tommorow i'll try my Specialized insoles inside (i have ++ version based on feet measurement), so hope that will solve the problem i have. Otherwise very comfortable shoes :)

The guy who work there have previous Stilo version, and he prefer that one compared to new. Same reasons as i described. Previous version seem to be more snug fit compared to new one


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
Madone69 wrote:
I have both the 2015/6 with the velcro toe strap and 2017 Stilo+ in 43

What i can say is the 2017 is much more snug fitting than the 2015/6, especially in the toe box area. Wearing the correct sock helps me. The initial putting on of the shoe is fine but the snug fit is immediately felt. After 5min of riding its all good and no problem of being to tight or hot spots. I guess there is a bit of stretch and conforming happing. no problems with +4hr rides

comparing them to the Sidi Ergo , Ergo2 - they had to be 43,5
Bontrager XXX (or something) was 43
Specialised Sworks - 43

the Gaerne's are by far better of the lot. Comfy, Adjustable and No Heel Slip. :thumbup: could be lighter but hey weight is not everything :sorry: :noidea:


After removing cleats from S-Works 43, i measure them again. Actually i was wrong. The S-Works gen 5, in size 43 weight 240 gm. So the difference with Stilo is 52 gm per shoe (less then i first thought).

I dont like the insoles that coming with the shoe, and i putted inside Specialized ++ from my old shoes (much better). And this solve the problem i had with big volume of shoes a bit. Maybe i made mistake in size, and i needed to go half size smaller, but it is what it is :) (43 is 27 cm length. My left feet is 26.2 cm, and my right feet is 26.8 cm. If i went for 42.5 that length will be 26.5 or 26.7 (there is declared size juist for 42 (26.5 cm), and no length for half sizes. I tried to measure, but can not measure in mm. My presumption that is 26.7 is based on some table i found on the net, but look like presumption as well :) ). From other side S-Works gen 5 are 43 and they fit perfectly (their length is 27.5cm) In hot weather i can feel that my feet are a bit bigger and painfull a bit, so at least with the Gaerne i wont have that problem :)

So some conlclusion after 70 km riding (1300 climb): Very comfortable, BOA sistem adjust very nice and on more spots. Also tongue is very soft so no pressure from the wires of Boa. Good ventilation. Feel soft, but actually a pretty stiff (still softer then S-Works). With Castelli thin socks i have to adjust BOA very tight to dont have slip of the shoes. With Nalini socks much better. Also i recommend to imediatly replace the soles (very thin, no support at all).

Overall, very nice shoes. Be aware of size. If it feel very snug, it will stretch a little bit after first ride (the 43 i bought them , in the shop feel very tight almost painfull on my toe.. But after first ride, some strech happened, and that why maybe better will be half size smaller..)

Let say that i'll pick Gaerne for 200 km ride, and S-Works for chasing KOM's


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:56 pm
Posts: 177
Location: Beantown
kgt wrote:
I ride with Gaerne G Chrono which is practically the older G Stilo. These are best shoes I ever had (after DMT, Sidi and Vittoria). Handmade in Italy (yes, it matters), light, superstiff sole, top heel support, trusty BOA closure and great looks.
S-works are not that well made IMHO and the heel design is almost... non-existent. Certainly not as durable as the Gaerne either. Too expensive for what you get IMHO.


Basically same experience here - word for word
Get the Gaernes if they fit - you won't be disappointed

_________________
It only hurts if you think.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 am
Posts: 194
3Pio wrote:
First impression: I prefer S-Works for now.

Reason: On S-Works shoes i have, there is more snug feeling, on climbs and hard efforts they are part of the feet, no movement, but comfortable. Also they are definitely stiffer. On G.Stilo+ even i choose 43 (27 cm length compared to 27.5 cm S-Works), on climbs or very hard effort there is movement of my feet. It's not choice to go size smaller, since in length will be very painfull on my finger. Problem with Stilo is they have very high volume (and my feet is wide, but not high volume with narrow heel). Specialized is lower volume and narrower heel so probably better suited for my feet.

I hope the problem are G.Stilo+ insoles, which are very flat and non suportive. Tommorow i'll try my Specialized insoles inside (i have ++ version based on feet measurement), so hope that will solve the problem i have. Otherwise very comfortable shoes :)

The guy who work there have previous Stilo version, and he prefer that one compared to new. Same reasons as i described. Previous version seem to be more snug fit compared to new one


Thanks for the great feedback. Based on what you said I think I will try the older model first since it is cheaper and I can get on E b a y. I wear 43.5 in S-Works so maybe I will start with 43 in G.Stilo. Is is possible for you to measure your foot from heel to toe and post it here? I agree the S-Works are really stiff and snug, but really hurt my feet especially with thin socks.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
DeLuz wrote:
3Pio wrote:
First impression: I prefer S-Works for now.

Reason: On S-Works shoes i have, there is more snug feeling, on climbs and hard efforts they are part of the feet, no movement, but comfortable. Also they are definitely stiffer. On G.Stilo+ even i choose 43 (27 cm length compared to 27.5 cm S-Works), on climbs or very hard effort there is movement of my feet. It's not choice to go size smaller, since in length will be very painfull on my finger. Problem with Stilo is they have very high volume (and my feet is wide, but not high volume with narrow heel). Specialized is lower volume and narrower heel so probably better suited for my feet.

I hope the problem are G.Stilo+ insoles, which are very flat and non suportive. Tommorow i'll try my Specialized insoles inside (i have ++ version based on feet measurement), so hope that will solve the problem i have. Otherwise very comfortable shoes :)

The guy who work there have previous Stilo version, and he prefer that one compared to new. Same reasons as i described. Previous version seem to be more snug fit compared to new one


Thanks for the great feedback. Based on what you said I think I will try the older model first since it is cheaper and I can get on E b a y. I wear 43.5 in S-Works so maybe I will start with 43 in G.Stilo. Is is possible for you to measure your foot from heel to toe and post it here? I agree the S-Works are really stiff and snug, but really hurt my feet especially with thin socks.


The issue i had with feeling a bit bigger, seem that i solved with buying new insoles from Specialized (Blue one with ++ support).

My right foot is about 26.8mm, and the left one is 26.3 mm (that my biggest problem. If i want left to be perfect, then right one will be too tight. If right one is ok, left is a bit big. Or option to buy two sizes :), which i never done...)

My foot type: In Toe part is the biggest length of foot, wide but low volume measuring verticaly, and narrow heel.

If u are 43.5 S-Works, start with 43 Stilo, but also consider trying with ur Specialized insoles. AS i noticed im not sure that there is length difference between 43 and 43.5 Stilo, but noticeably difference in volume, and in sides. So which one u'll pick depend more from shape of ur foot.

I have problem with my S-Works shoes only after 5-6 hours riding in the heet, when my feet is a bit bigger and can feel thje pain in the toe part and sides. But nothing terrible. Will see how gaerne would be for long rides.. I expect more comfortable


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 am
Posts: 194
My feet are measuring about 26.5 mm so hopefully 43 should fit.
Should have them by Friday, will report once I get them.
I ordered the Italian color edition.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Gaerne G.Stilo+ 2017
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
DeLuz wrote:
My feet are measuring about 26.5 mm so hopefully 43 should fit.
Should have them by Friday, will report once I get them.
I ordered the Italian color edition.


With 26.5 mm length, depend on form of ur feet u are 42 1/2 or 43. I would say 70% 43, 30% 42.5 :)

And please report back. Specially that u rode Specialized shoes before, and im very interested how u compare them :)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Gaerne G stilo+ 2017

in Road

Timmy269

2

483

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:17 am

Timmy269 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sidi Wire -vs- Gaerne G Stilo pretty unbiased

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

wheelbuilder

19

1756

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 pm

PJCM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Prologo Zero C3 CPC 2017

in Road

marcelflash

3

928

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 am

marcelflash View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2017 Madonne 9.2

in Road

nycjwi

1

1478

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:27 pm

FIJIGabe View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago V2-R 2017

[ Go to page: 15 6 7 8 9 ]

in Road

3Pio

120

21832

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Calnago View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dj97223, Google Adsense [Bot], ipaul, kavitator, Lemond75, ms6073 and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited