Road shoe - shape like SIDI ergo 2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kavitator

by kavitator

My old SIDI ERGO 2 size 43 are destroyed
I try SIDI ERGO 2 size 43,5 and are too big

Now looking for same shape.

Specialized are to wide in front

What about Shimano Sphyre - they also has option for heat moulding

Thanks

dogsnadgers

by dogsnadgers

I don't mean to state the obvious but why not another pair of Sidi's - Ergo 3's?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

i hear later models hasnt got same shape

mattr

by mattr

I've been wearing size 41 Sidis since my feet stopped growing in the mid 80's.

Bought two up to date/current model pairs in the last 18 months, both fit exactly the same as the ones i bought 4 or 5 years ago, and ~10 years ago. And the ones in the 90's............. (Most of which are still usable, but that's another story!)

DJT21

by DJT21

The later shape Sidis are probably as similar as you're going to get. They have a bit more space in the forefoot area though.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

I find Gaerne shoes to fit quite similar to Sidis and am very happy with them
It only hurts if you think.

uraqt

by uraqt

I have sidi shadow (about 1990) and the new wire.. the toe box is bigger, but only just. I had to break in the shadows to get them to fit, 300-400 miles or so.. The wires are going to fit right out of the box.

I think you would be fine with the same size, if it's to big I am sure you can take up the room with fake shim or thicker sock.

C

In fact i just put shims in the shadows and thinking about taking them out because the fit is tight. 1.5 mm shims

BRM

by BRM

Johnnysmooth wrote:I find Gaerne shoes to fit quite similar to Sidis and am very happy with them

Both brands have different models with different fit.
A Sidi Ergo and a Sidi Wire are quite different.
A comparison Always should refer to modelnames, not brandnames.

BRM

by BRM

uraqt wrote:I have sidi shadow (about 1990) and the new wire.. the toe box is bigger, but only just. I had to break in the shadows to get them to fit, 300-400 miles or so.. The wires are going to fit right out of the box.

I think you would be fine with the same size, if it's to big I am sure you can take up the room with fake shim or thicker sock.

C

In fact i just put shims in the shadows and thinking about taking them out because the fit is tight. 1.5 mm shims

Sorry but the Sidi Shadow and other Sidi models are made of synthetic materials that are pretty free from stretching. Your shoes need to fit out of the box, there is not such a process as breaking in.

Most people tell that Gaerne falls a bit bigger, so they need a 1/2 size down with Gaerne.
Don't fiddle with thicker socks but buy the right shoes and size.

When the Ergo fits you right then the Wire will most likely too roomy for you. But there are many parameters involved, and as long you don't know them you really can't say if a shoe will fit well for a person.

uraqt

by uraqt

@BMR.

Just so I understand you think SIdi changes and continually changes the last in their top of the line shoes?

C

BRM

by BRM

For years (pre Wire era) they used for all models more the less the same last.
(extended with a woman-last and the mega-last for flinstone feet)

But by the demand for wider shoes they came with a new last, first introduced in the Wire.
I think Kaos is also built on the Wire last, as a cheaper option for that last.

The Sidi Ergo related last is very good for people with small ankles.
The heelcup capture your heel totally.
Sidis were always pretty flat on the inside. Good for people with relative low footarches.
Also the sides of Sidi shoes are higher which give better support and less slip of your feet.

Then something many people are not aware of:
Most manufacturers use shapes where the toes are just straight but Sidi uses a shape were your toes are Always being up a little, this deload the stress on a particular tendon/muscle in your foot (can’t remember the name atm) Some like that, others not. (not sure if this also counts for the Wire last)

BRM

by BRM

kavitator wrote:My old SIDI ERGO 2 size 43 are destroyed
I try SIDI ERGO 2 size 43,5 and are too big

Now looking for same shape.

Later Ergo's have similar shape.
But you also can have a look to the models under the Ergo, like the Genius models.
These come with a buckle as your old Ergo's have. The latest Genius 7 doesn't have the adjustable heelclip.
However the former Genius 6.6 has that clip. Genius 5 Fit also didn't had the clip. Btw that older model can be obtained very cheap.
That clip is for some a nice feature but I think most people will not miss it when it would not be there.

DJT21

by DJT21

The Wires are still a similar shape, but the upper material does not have as much pliability/give in it.

The newer Ergo 3/Genius 6.6 are closer to the Ergo 2 than the wires, infact they feel just the same as the older Ergo 2. But, there is a bit more space in them. IME, the Ergo 2 were very low volume, whereas with the never ones, they feel very similar but it seems like Sidi used a little bit more material in the uppers, so they aren't as tight on your feet (specifically in the toe box). They still feel like Sidis though (something I've found with every pair of Sidis I've used over the years; they're all slightly different, but they feel like a Sidi)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Listen to mattr

My wires' the increase is only the toe box, and it's only 2 or 2.5 mls at most. If you had a sloppy fit in the ERGO 2 then you migh thave issue(but I really doubt it). If you have a normal fit then you will have to tighten the shoes a little more. If you had a tight fit then they will fit perfect. Or like mattr said there is no change and the only difference is who is making them and manufacturing differences.

C

PS @BRM thanks for calling me a liar, your making this a great forum keep it up!!