Di2 install help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stub

by stub

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I should do with my Di2 upgrade.

I've just bought a 6870 bundle (entire groupset with internal battery) to upgrade my mechanical 6700 bike. The frame is 3 years old, and has all the electronic ports - it even has bolt threads for a battery mount on the underside of the NDS chainstay.

So the question is, should I replaced the SM-BTR2 internal battery with the external bluetooth battery mount and use the external mount (would be quite neat). The attraction of having a spare battery ready to go would be quite useful to me - the bike goes in the car fairly often to travel a few hundred miles for sportives, etc, so undergoes a reasonable amount of dissassembly to get it in the car. The external mount, though uglier would at least mean visually I can check it/grab a spare battery ready to go at short notice. The only downside is that it would require another charger that I don't own.

Or, for neatness (and having to buy less stuff), should I get the internal BT-DM110 battery instead? I know you can't charge the external battery through the front junction but apparently the bluetooth battery mount requires the EW90 front junction rather than the old inline one.

The reason I am asking is that I don't possess a windows computer (or a computer of any sort) so the only way I can program/update the system is via a smartphone or tablet, so the SM-BCR2 charger/interface unit that comes with the kit will be useless. I'd rather leave the interface and internal battery unboxed so as to maximise the resale value!

I've read stories about the old battery mount being unable to update unless the SM-PC1E interface was used, I guess the new one is fine and can be done from the E-tube project app without any issue?

nycebo

by nycebo

Waste of money. Keep what you have. You won't be programming more than once or twice and a good buddy at a bike shop will take care of you.

Aesthetically, I don't care how good the external battery is fitted, it will never look as sleek as the internal. Just not worth it, honestly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HFGent

by HFGent

Stick with what you have. I had a 2013 TCR Advanced SL bike with 6700 that I upgraded to 6870 when it was first available. Since they didn't have the BTR2 available yet, I just used the external battery route. I think for the extra cost of upgrading bluetooth and having to purchase the WU101, you may consider just getting the SM-PC1E. Just depends on what you want to have. See if you can borrow a person's SM-PC1E. I have always been a tinkerer, so I purchased the SM-PC1E so it'll work with my 2 other DI2 and doesn't hurt that my wife's bike is also DI2.

Stick with what you have, it's more economical. Going the external battery seems a step backwards unless you already have the external from a previous bike.

stub

by stub

Thanks guys. The one problem being in order to use the SM-PC1E I'd need to get my hands on a laptop from somewhere (and if I wanted to change anything or update firmware, do the same again.) I've seen a few advertisements for hire of a PC1E, so this may be the route to go. If I were to consider buying the PC1E, I think I'd just get the BT internal battery as they are the same cost, and the EW-WU111 I'm keen on anyway for the Garmin data, although it is mightily expensive for what it is. I like the EW-WU111 for the Garmin bits, but I've heard connecting that and the BTR2 battery means it won't shift at all. I can't see the point of spending out on the old D-fly. I might speak to my LBS and see if he'll do something for me on the WU111

I was only really thinking going external as I could pick up a battery (or two) and charger from an auction site so it wouldn't work out as pricey as the internal battery (every little helps).

stub

by stub

Well, I just opened the pack and it has come with the BT-DN110 internal battery as standard, so I'm going to add the d-fly and I should be good to go with the tablet/smartphone app for programming. Bit of a result! Though the terrible packaging and the gouges on the levers mean it'll be a while before I install it...