wheel clearance issue 2012 Cervelo R5 VWD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Started using 25mm tires and I am experiencing rub on the right seat stay (I realized this might be an issue). I noticed the wheel has even clearance at the chain stays, but is off towards the right seat stay?

The wheel checked out for dish and true, but the issue persists. Possibly the frame is bent?..2012 Cervelo R5 VWD.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Real 25s or Conti that are 28mm measured?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

If you get a late 2015 or later model you can run 25s if not you'll have to redishing your wheel to deal with the asymmetric chain stays.. unfortunately cervelo has been late to the wife tire game

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Thanks all.

kode54

by kode54

yup. my friends R5 can only fit 23mm. and i think his is a 2014.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wingguy

by wingguy

sugarkane wrote:if not you'll have to redishing your wheel to deal with the asymmetric chain stays..

Sorry mate but that's completely wrong.

First, the OP doesn't have any chainstay issues, he's got seat stay rub.

Second, as far as the wheel is concerned the chainstays on the R5 VWD are symmetrical. The difference is that the NDS chainstay is wider on the outside. And if your wheel is rubbing the outside of the chainstay, you've got problems way beyond what a redishing could possibly fix :lol:

Tricky1

by Tricky1

wingguy wrote:
sugarkane wrote:if not you'll have to redishing your wheel to deal with the asymmetric chain stays..

Sorry mate but that's completely wrong.

First, the OP doesn't have any chainstay issues, he's got seat stay rub.

Second, as far as the wheel is concerned the chainstays on the R5 VWD are symmetrical. The difference is that the NDS chainstay is wider on the outside. And if your wheel is rubbing the outside of the chainstay, you've got problems way beyond what a redishing could possibly fix :lol:

Thanks Wingguy.

As the clearance is symmetrical at the chain stays, does the asymmetry at the seat stay indicate a bent frame or a flaw during its' construction?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Tricky1 wrote:As the clearance is symmetrical at the chain stays, does the asymmetry at the seat stay indicate a bent frame or a flaw during its' construction?

If the wheel looks good between the chainstays but "off" at the seatstays (or vice versa), the most likely culprit is the dropouts are simply not in the correct location - they are out of alignment. I have seen this before - a regular on one of the groups I ride with has an R3 and every time I get behind him I notice that his rear wheel is off-center. At first I thought it was wheel dish but then he explained the frame is out of alignment. I think he bought it used so no warranty, still rides it.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Talked with a Cervelo shop who confirmed what some of you have said...The frame isn't made for 25mm tires, and it's common for tire rub on one seat stay. When the dropouts are bonded in, some deflection occurs resulting in the wheel rub on one side.

The tire rub only occurs under heavy loads as the bike is thrown side to side (and this isn't all the time). Im running bigger tires for the BWR next month and wanted a bit bigger tire for the dirt sections.

Appreciate all who helped!

Eclat

by Eclat

Unfortunately Cervelo has narrow wheel clearance.
I had ride 2009 Cervelo S3 before, Maximum usable tire width was 24mm(Specialized Turbo) for front.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

really wing guy... I've had to offset dish wheels for R5s but hey what would i know

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

I've got a 2015 that came with 25mm tires and I'm noticing a pretty thin amount of clearance with a bit of rub. I actually put some 3m protective film on various parts of the bike due to what I heard was a pretty thin paint job. I'm curious how bad it may have been if I hadn't done that.

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the HED Ardennes wheels (stock) made 25mm tires stretch out to the width of a 28mm. I wonder if that's part of the problem.

Mine isn't rubbing full time, but it has apparently rubbed a little at some point either from mud on the tires or something. It's fairly even, but it looks like it is ever so slightly off center to the drive side. I tried realigning it and it doesn't seem to want to get perfectly even.

kervelo

by kervelo

Fastfwd wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:01 am
Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the HED Ardennes wheels (stock) made 25mm tires stretch out to the width of a 28mm. I wonder if that's part of the problem.
That is true. I have also seen user comments telling that a 25 mm conti tyre on HED Belgium rims will be 27-28 mm. The HED product page also warns about this:
https://store.hedcycling.com/belgium-c2 ... -clincher/

"Note: Our wide rims increase clincher tire volume, causing actual inflated sizes to be larger-than-advertised on the tire. Inflated sizes will be 1-2mm wider on our 23mm C2 rims, and 2-4mm wider on 25mm Plus rims."

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Could you please take two pictures?

1. Bike upside down, over the bottom bracket, showing how centered the wheel is between the chainstays.

2. From the back, right under the rear brake caliper, ideally showing how well the wheel is centered in relation to the caliper mounting hole.

If it rubs on the seatstay while still being right centered under the brake caliper, then the frame is asymmetric somehow, or just a crazy tight fit.

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:08 pm
Could you please take two pictures?

1. Bike upside down, over the bottom bracket, showing how centered the wheel is between the chainstays.

2. From the back, right under the rear brake caliper, ideally showing how well the wheel is centered in relation to the caliper mounting hole.

If it rubs on the seatstay while still being right centered under the brake caliper, then the frame is asymmetric somehow, or just a crazy tight fit.
I've got the bike at the local Cervelo dealer currently. The tire/wheel is offcenter at both the seatstay and the chainstay. He put a wheel/tire from another bike on it and it looked centered - so, he's going to dish the wheel and get it centered to the frame. $20. Get it fixed and move on hopefully.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com