Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: e-Tube programming tips
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:57 pm 

After getting the correct software and hardware to enable the vaunted “Synchro or Semi-Synchro shifting”, I spent hours trying to figure out things that should have been clearly spelled out somewhere in the Shimano sites or manuals. After culling through a ton of these, as well as numerous forums, I acquired the knowledge needed to install, configure, and use this new capability.

No one else should go through what I did, so I present e-Tube Users Guide Shimano Forgot

And if you’re interested in altering the shift levers to behave similar to SRAM eTap shifting, I have another doc for that: Shimano-eTap shifting.

Post subject: e-Tube programming tips
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:57 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am 

appreciate the helpfulness! thank you. very handy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 pm 

I actually prefer the small buttons shifting to smaller cogs and the large buttons shifting to larger cogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:44 am 

squid046 wrote:
I actually prefer the small buttons shifting to smaller cogs and the large buttons shifting to larger cogs.

Me too.

Seems more like the way mechanical is to me.

Cycling related videos and reviews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 pm 

Had the bike in the LBS today (installing. Quarq DFour and new chainwrings). The mechanic raved about the e-Tube capability so I bit the bullet and bought the new battery for it. I had him leave the shifting alone, but went full syncro. Ride wasn't varied enough to really form an opinion yet, but it definitely will take some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

622 SLX | Axiom SL | Mudhoney SL (retired) | S Works Crux | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Fat CAAD 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:23 pm 

Job well done! Like you, I also converted to the eTap approach of shifting on my Di2 bikes. It is wonderful. And, what I really love is that the left hand is always easier and the right hand is always harder. And, unlike eTap, we can change the big ring with one hand (a plus on fast approach uphills).

Furthermore, with semi-synchro, I never need to use two hands at all. Changes to the front mech automatically adjust the rear mech 2 cogs for me. Brilliant.

One quirk: as some may know, the shift to the big chainring is seamlessly paired with an instantaneous and "subsequent" shift to the rear cassette. BUT, the shift to the small chainring is a bit jerky. Instead of shifting the rear cassette first, it shifts the front mech first resulting in too quick spinning until the rear moves. I've adapted to it, but i'd prefer it to shift the rear first (as I have always done prior to synchro) and then quickly drop down into the small ring on the front mech.

Anyway, a nice improvement that hopefully a modest software update can address soon.

sturvey wrote:
And if you’re interested in altering the shift levers to behave similar to SRAM eTap shifting, I have another doc for that: Shimano-eTap shifting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 pm 

nycebo wrote:
One quirk: as some may know, the shift to the big chainring is seamlessly paired with an instantaneous and "subsequent" shift to the rear cassette. BUT, the shift to the small chainring is a bit jerky. Instead of shifting the rear cassette first, it shifts the front mech first resulting in too quick spinning until the rear moves. I've adapted to it, but i'd prefer it to shift the rear first (as I have always done prior to synchro) and then quickly drop down into the small ring on the front mech.

Agree with this!

Geoff

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 pm