e-Tube programming tips

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sturvey

by sturvey

After getting the correct software and hardware to enable the vaunted “Synchro or Semi-Synchro shifting”, I spent hours trying to figure out things that should have been clearly spelled out somewhere in the Shimano sites or manuals. After culling through a ton of these, as well as numerous forums, I acquired the knowledge needed to install, configure, and use this new capability.

No one else should go through what I did, so I present e-Tube Users Guide Shimano Forgot

And if you’re interested in altering the shift levers to behave similar to SRAM eTap shifting, I have another doc for that: Shimano-eTap shifting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

agravic

by agravic

appreciate the helpfulness! thank you. very handy!

squid046

by squid046

I actually prefer the small buttons shifting to smaller cogs and the large buttons shifting to larger cogs.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

squid046 wrote:I actually prefer the small buttons shifting to smaller cogs and the large buttons shifting to larger cogs.

Me too.

Seems more like the way mechanical is to me.

jrobart

by jrobart

Had the bike in the LBS today (installing. Quarq DFour and new chainwrings). The mechanic raved about the e-Tube capability so I bit the bullet and bought the new battery for it. I had him leave the shifting alone, but went full syncro. Ride wasn't varied enough to really form an opinion yet, but it definitely will take some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

nycebo

by nycebo

Job well done! Like you, I also converted to the eTap approach of shifting on my Di2 bikes. It is wonderful. And, what I really love is that the left hand is always easier and the right hand is always harder. And, unlike eTap, we can change the big ring with one hand (a plus on fast approach uphills).

Furthermore, with semi-synchro, I never need to use two hands at all. Changes to the front mech automatically adjust the rear mech 2 cogs for me. Brilliant.

One quirk: as some may know, the shift to the big chainring is seamlessly paired with an instantaneous and "subsequent" shift to the rear cassette. BUT, the shift to the small chainring is a bit jerky. Instead of shifting the rear cassette first, it shifts the front mech first resulting in too quick spinning until the rear moves. I've adapted to it, but i'd prefer it to shift the rear first (as I have always done prior to synchro) and then quickly drop down into the small ring on the front mech.

Anyway, a nice improvement that hopefully a modest software update can address soon.

sturvey wrote:And if you’re interested in altering the shift levers to behave similar to SRAM eTap shifting, I have another doc for that: Shimano-eTap shifting.

gbrown

by gbrown

nycebo wrote:One quirk: as some may know, the shift to the big chainring is seamlessly paired with an instantaneous and "subsequent" shift to the rear cassette. BUT, the shift to the small chainring is a bit jerky. Instead of shifting the rear cassette first, it shifts the front mech first resulting in too quick spinning until the rear moves. I've adapted to it, but i'd prefer it to shift the rear first (as I have always done prior to synchro) and then quickly drop down into the small ring on the front mech.

Agree with this!

Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com