Colnago C60 v Cervelo R3 SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fiti

by fiti

Hi all,

At the end of 2008 I bought new Cervelo R3 SL, which I'm still riding today. So I'm considering new bike Colnago C60. Since I have read that the Cervelo R3 SL is super comfortable, good at handling, stiff and not quite aero bike. This seems the same as description of C60;comfortable, stiff, great handling and quite aero, but frame on heavy side.

My preferred terrain are hilly rides, average between 800-1200 vertical meters of climbing. I do not compete any more, but still love to push it uphill and try to beat my personal bests. I do between 8.000 to 10.000 km per year.

Therefore I wonder, should I go for a new C60 or maybe get a new paint for Cervelo with complete upgrade (groupset, wheels...etc) and save some bucks?
Do you think Cervelo frame is to old to upgrade, since is 8 year old?

Will be a C60 a better ride?

So, what do you think?
fiti

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm on a C59 , which is similar to to the C-60 outfitted with Dura Ace C-24 wheels. It feels great on the climbs.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

fiti wrote:Hi all,

At the end of 2008 I bought new Cervelo R3 SL, which I'm still riding today. So I'm considering new bike Colnago C60. Since I have read that the Cervelo R3 SL is super comfortable, good at handling, stiff and not quite aero bike. This seems the same as description of C60;comfortable, stiff, great handling and quite aero, but frame on heavy side.

My preferred terrain are hilly rides, average between 800-1200 vertical meters of climbing. I do not compete any more, but still love to push it uphill and try to beat my personal bests. I do between 8.000 to 10.000 km per year.

Therefore I wonder, should I go for a new C60 or maybe get a new paint for Cervelo with complete upgrade (groupset, wheels...etc) and save some bucks?
Do you think Cervelo frame is to old to upgrade, since is 8 year old?

Will be a C60 a better ride?

So, what do you think?

I like to climb a lot, and climbing at least 3000 meters per week. In last 30 days 16000 meters climbed. Since my city is surronded with mountains, sometimes 3000 meters in one day.

C60 is very nice bike for climbing, super stiff where u need, and comfortable in same time. About weight, i think Colnago dont bother to have marketing and show lighter then is it (like Pinarello), so it will be max 300 gm difference with lightest frames out there (which often are not that reliable, or comfortable), and thats weight is in part of the bike, which is not that important.

I had a chance to try before buy, and similar distance, similar climbing three of them: Bianchi Oltre XR2, Pinarello Dogma F8 and C60. I went to Treviso (thinking that i'll buy Pinarello :) ), and after test ride of Dogma F8 (climbs), i returned with C60 frame and never regret.

kgt

by kgt

I really cannot see how can compare a C60 to an R3. There is no comparison really...

fiti

by fiti

Well kgt, your post is really helpful, can you explain...

Based on reviews you can find comparable characteristics as I mentioned in my previous post. That's why I'm asking.
fiti

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@fiti: As for the actual ride going up the mountain, and given that you seem to like how your current Cervelo feels, you may very well prefer the Cervelo for it's weight advantage alone, at least going up. But for me, as a heavier guy, that's where the light weight advantage ends. I'm never going to be the fastest guy up any climb for sure. So, assuming I make it to the top and presuming I don't have a car waiting for me, I have to get down. This is where the light weight advantage can quickly turn into a big disadvantage. It's just not as stable, and at speeds where one little mistake can mean the difference between eating it or making it, a stable bicycle is super important to me. So, for going down I'd pick the Colnago any day over the Cervelo. And as for quality of construction, yes... there is no comparison. I've worked on both. Warranty claims on Colnagos are few and far between. On the other hand, it's not hard to find people who have used Cervelo's warranty to get a new frame not just once, but several times. So, you decide. But don't get a Colnago strictly for climbing if that's really your thing. It's a fine bike, but it's far from the lightest available, and for climbing... weight rules over all else. Then there's the aesthetics... up to you.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

My C59 build up 200 grams heavier than my Parlee Z4 with the same parts. I'm a big guy (195lbs) so when the whole package of rider, bike, and equipment weights around 215lbs I'm not going to worry about 200 grams holding me back. It's a .2% difference.

kgt

by kgt

fiti wrote:Well kgt, your post is really helpful, can you explain...
Based on reviews you can find comparable characteristics as I mentioned in my previous post. That's why I'm asking.

Nothing is comparable between a C60 and a R3. Colnago C60 and Cervelo R3 are almost the two extremes of modern road frame manufacturing. Colnago is a top quality handmade in Italy frame, the company is owned by a family, huge heritage, lugged, heavy, stiff, anti aero, legendary geometry, very reliable, a frame one can ride for many many years.
Cervelo R3 is mass made in China (not at all up to the manufacturing standards of a C60), the company is owned by a group of companies, successful in races in its short history, light, stiff, semi-aero, a so-so geometry, not that durable in general (many, many issues with cracks at or near the bb), a fine frame to race a season or two.

You are not asking for anything special so any modern frame can do the job fine but IMHO a Colnago C60 is a way better frame than any Cervelo.

gb103

by gb103

I have a cervelo R3SL with SR and mavic kysrium sl and a colnago EPQ with SR and shamal wheel both with compact cranks. The cervelo is in the midi-Pyrenees as my climbing bike and I keep the colnago in the UK where I live. You will not find a better climbing bike than the R3SL unless you opt for a 650g frame set. The cervelo is very responsive the handling could be described as twitch or nervous and is realtively comfortable with regards to UK roads. The colnago is roughly 300 g heavier in the frame set, to me doesn't feel as responsive, but no slouch ans is extremely comfortable. I could ride the colnago with 100 psi all day on uk roads and not feel beaten up in the slightest. I agree with kgt. A colnago and a cervelo are not even on the same scale. If you're after an Italian bike with a beautiful classy paint job which you can ride all day long for many years to come then you can't beat a colnago.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I really really don't like these frame comparison questions only because it tends to bring out ones objective view towards what they ride or have ridden. It might be helpful to a certain degree but usually never solidifies any type of decision to punch that credit card through the machine.

Though I am rather intrigued why the C60 if you've already on a R3SL? I'm going from a pure visual aspect here but if you're talking about the CSC R3, its probably one of the best looking cervelo's that I've seen yet. The lateral move from a functional stance would be more towards a lightweight climbing frame as the AX Vial or even try to wait it out for the new R3 shown at the Abu Dhabi Tour? you've waited this long (2008 frame), probably worth waiting a little more...

I have the C60, coming from a 2010 RXR...Both are lugged, both are smooth but for me, the decision to buy the C60 came from wanting a stiffer front end while keeping the tradition over using lugged construction. To each his own.. So go get what your heart says and ride the heck out of it.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

uraqt

by uraqt

I have ridden both a R3SL and a new R5 and few bikes on everyones best bikes' list. At that quality of a bike it's not a question of what is better it's a question of what you like best in a bike.

I would upgrade the R3SL and ride it forever.

As for there is no "comparison" between the bike I agree. In this day and age why would anyone buy any frame without a lifetime warranty? Colnago doesn't stand behind their bikes.

C

kgt

by kgt

uraqt wrote:As for there is no "comparison" between the bike I agree. In this day and age why would anyone buy any frame without a lifetime warranty? Colnago doesn't stand behind their bikes.

Colnago stands behind their bikes by the way he makes them. That's why Colnagos do not crack. You cannot say the same for Cervelos. That's why a lifetime warranty is welcomed...

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Lifetime warranties are pretty worthless as a warranty only covers manufacturing errors, what do you think will happen when you take a 10 year old Cervelo back to the dealership because bottle cage nut has snapped out - manufacturing error or wear and tear? Good luck getting that frame replaced, hope you have better luck than my friend did in that scenario.

fiti

by fiti

Thank you all for your thoughts. Due to debate I have to say that I never experienced any problems with Cervelo frame. It served me well and if I go for Colango, I will keep Cervelo as second bike.
fiti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

My experience. Dismantled R3SL to transfer parts to new build. Found crack, replaced without question under warranty. Sold replacement.

Though perhaps old technology now, the Parlee Z3 is a mid-way house to C-series Colnago. Still abundant ride quality and feel, but more solid feeling than Cervelo.