Aiming to participate in next L'etape, need clarification on interpreting equipment rule

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jih

by jih

I think people who haven't raced don't realise how different a time trial is from a crit/RR.

In a time trail you're going in a straight line, watching your power/hr/whatever, with virtually zero interaction with anybody or anything. Very few hills, rarely a tight bend.

In a road race or crit, you're constantly watching other riders, moving into gaps, touching elbows. If you're clever you'll spend 80% plus of your time drafting.

They both take place on a road, but they could hardly be more different. The bikes are designed as such.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

jih wrote:I think people who haven't raced don't realise how different a time trial is from a crit/RR.

In a time trail you're going in a straight line, watching your power/hr/whatever, with virtually zero interaction with anybody or anything. Very few hills, rarely a tight bend.

In a road race or crit, you're constantly watching other riders, moving into gaps, touching elbows. If you're clever you'll spend 80% plus of your time drafting.

They both take place on a road, but they could hardly be more different. The bikes are designed as such.

Very true. There is a quite a big TT scene in the UK (much less so in France) and these are powerful, fast guys. But when they have a crack at the Etape (or similar) they are often all at sea, as the crowded road freaks them out, and the first decent hill sends them backwards.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ninjasloth

by ninjasloth

Thank you all for advices and curses

I've been to L'etape AU last year and saw the guys.

They all were really strong but if the podium was a scale they definitely weighed more than 300kg...

Geometry concerns aside, I don't think 8 kg bike will make me slower than say 6.5 kg...

I thought people lose weight on their bikes so they can post it on weightweenies...

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I don't think it's the best idea for that event by any means but, to play devil's advocate, people do manage to ride mass start track events, including madisons, on drop barred ""TT geometry" bikes like the Cervelo T3? Comfort not so great for sure....

jih

by jih

There were 300kg finishers in l'etape? I find that very hard to believe. That's morbidly obese - dangerous for someone so overweight to even participate.

Just buy or hire a basic road bike. It'll be better than even a very expensive TT bike adapted.

I don't really see your motivations here. If you want to stand out by doing something wacky, wear a tutu or something.

jih

by jih

For reference, this is what a 300kg Australian looks like: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 81d4f32cea

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

jih wrote:For reference, this is what a 300kg Australian looks like: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 81d4f32cea

Does he mean the top three on the podium had a combined weight of 300 kgs? Still sounds too heavy.

jih

by jih

Hawkwood wrote:
jih wrote:For reference, this is what a 300kg Australian looks like: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 81d4f32cea

Does he mean the top three on the podium had a combined weight of 300 kgs? Still sounds too heavy.

Maybe. I'm sure 100kg riders put in good rides, but in the top three... it's possible but all three of them?

Wookski

by Wookski

OP is a jackass, he'll fit in just fine with the typical l'etape crowd

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Troll will troll

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Wookski wrote:OP is a jackass, he'll fit in just fine with the typical l'etape crowd

What's that supposed to mean?!

13 000 riders from all over the world, all shapes and sizes and abilities (from very slow to very fast), are 'typical'?!

sawyer

by sawyer

You'll likely get stopped either at the gate or in the pen or even on the road

I'd certainly call you out to the officials of I saw you on try bars

I did half a dozen etapes in the early 2000s and don't recall seeing anyone on tri bars, though to be fair there were fewer b-ends then
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

964Cup

by 964Cup

Jeez, just get an aero road bike. Like this:

I mean, I wouldn't do it on that, I'd do it on this:

but then again, it takes all sorts...