Short Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

I am wondering if there are any sub 160mm crank options, road and mountain, out there other than Rotor and Cobb. I have knee issues that necessitate short cranks and these seem to be the only two options that I've been able to find. The Rotor cranks most of the distributors don't even stock the shorter sizes making it even more difficult to find.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

there are a few companies that can shorten some cranks for you. Check out some recumbent forums for that info. It's a very popular thing to do on recumbents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

Bluechip wrote:there are a few companies that can shorten some cranks for you. Check out some recumbent forums for that info. It's a very popular thing to do on recumbents.

I've seen a few of those, but the main issue I have run into is that the majority of them only do it on very cheap cranks as most higher end cranks are hollow and carbon. The two main issues I have found for this is that most of them are designed for Square Taper/ISIS BBs which would only work on one of my bikes, the other is spacing isn't appropriate for 11 speed rings on cranks that were designed for 8/9 speed rings.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

1/ Some modern BB standards are convertible to square taper.

2/ Having recently had knee surgery myself, I would be interested to know which condition(s) necessitate short cranks.

3/ Something like Stronglight Impact or TA Carmina(?) are 10/11 speed compatible and are available in short sizes.