2017 Road Disc Bike - what would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

Sorry tarmackev but If you actually work at a cycling store and you do not know or cannot understand how and in which ways a Colnago, a Time or a Cipollini is different from a Wilier, a Merida or a Specialized then you do not know your job that well IMHO...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

kgt wrote:Sorry tarmackev but If you actually work at a cycling store and you do not know or cannot understand how and in which ways a Colnago, a Time or a Cipollini is different from a Wilier, a Merida or a Specialized then you do not know your job that well IMHO...

I'm no expert on by any means, I thought the majority of "Italian" frames were assembled in the Far East and shipped over for painting and finishing in Italy.
I owned a Time speeder in 2007, it was okay. I've ridden a quite a few top Colnago's and with all the hype I expected more, likewise the same applies with Look. One of the worst bikes I rode was a middle of the range Colnago Ace, it was heavy, flexy and sluggish. I got lumbered with it for a week.
Working in a bike shop I've never once been asked the difference between a Time or Merida or any question like that.
I've worked in a few shops over the years, those that care about weight weenie stuff already know about it. Most don't care at all. 90% are new cyclists (last5-10years) and all they want to know is how much faster will these (wheels, frames, tyres, handlebars) make me.
I get asked about more about Strava, aero, Di2 D-fly, Carbon and probably Canyon bikes than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricey155

by ricey155

There's only one colnago made in Italy these days, my ridley helium SL has a made in China sticker underneath [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

It's not just about the C60. There are many companies that keep 100% of their production in Europe, Japan or US and do not outsource to China -Taiwan. That does not mean much performance wise but it means a lot in terms of their manufacturing quality.
Sure, a 30 euros Casio can perform as well as a 30.000 euros Patek Philippe but one who claims to know about watches should be able to understand how these are different in terms of manufacturing.

spartan

by spartan

heard from the grapevine for 2018 all giant road bikes will be disc only. new propel coming in august.

risky strategy from giant.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

spartan wrote:heard from the grapevine for 2018 all giant road bikes will be disc only. new propel coming in august.

That's inevitable. Giant was 2 seasons ahead of competition to introduce flat-mount and thru-axle.
Bold statement by Specialized founder and CEO Mike Sinyard...http://road.cc/content/news/220782-spec ... isc-brakes
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

madik

by madik

spartan wrote:heard from the grapevine for 2018 all giant road bikes will be disc only. new propel coming in august.

It's gonna be a brand new propel with completely redesigned frame or current just converted to disc brakes?
Functionality > Performance > Weight

jlmcabral

by jlmcabral

I am still waiting for a bike like the roadmachine and the paralane coming from Giant!

I think that the Defy is getting behind the competition.

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:That's inevitable. Giant was 2 seasons ahead of competition to introduce flat-mount and thru-axle.

Wut? Giant road bikes only went thru axle in 2017. 2016 and earlier road disc bikes from Giant were QR and post mount. :noidea:

jeffy

by jeffy

what percentage does the make of your group ride have to be before you can grumble, look on with scorn, and suggest shunning rim braked bike riders on grounds that "it's simply dangerous to ride in a group with different braking capabilities".....? :twisted:
Last edited by jeffy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I like what firefly did on on on my disc bike so I'd recommend a custom firefly
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

madik

by madik

jeffy wrote:what percentage does the make of your group ride have to be before you can grumble, look on with scorn, and suggest shunning rim braked bike riders on grounds that "it's simply dangerous to ride in a group with different braking capabilities".....? :twisted:

Just few promille of alcohol is sufficient.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

HFGent

by HFGent

If disposable income can afford it, it doesn't hurt to scope out handbuilt bikes. Although I have multiple top of the line big brand bikes (TCR Advanced SL, S-Works...) I still find that there are nice handbuilt bikes out there (argonaut, speedvagen......). I think the process that you go through instead of just plopping money down at a store and walk out with a bike, makes it more unique, special, and customized to you. Yes, I do believe that emotional experience toward a bike does make a difference.

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I like what firefly did on on on my disc bike so I'd recommend a custom firefly

spartan

by spartan

cippolini the most overrated bike company. the frames were made in Italy butttt profits were not high enough so they build a factory in Bosnia to save costs. their frames are all show and little technical innovation. i like nice colorways and launch videos :)

Colnago achieved their rep in the 70-80's sponsoring the best teams in pro peloton. the dirty little secret most of those Colnago's were built by outsourced Italian custom builders(sarto). the brand has not innovated since the c40. no future. old man retro machine.

time - great frames bad management/quality control/marketing has destroyed this great company. they make the best pedal system yet the REFUSE to fix the durability issue xpresso cleats. i remember riding the original time magnesium pedal. the cleats never needed replacing.

kgt wrote:Sorry tarmackev but If you actually work at a cycling store and you do not know or cannot understand how and in which ways a Colnago, a Time or a Cipollini is different from a Wilier, a Merida or a Specialized then you do not know your job that well IMHO...
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

spartan wrote:cippolini the most overrated bike company. the frames were made in Italy butttt profits were not high enough so they build a factory in Bosnia to save costs. their frames are all show and little technical innovation. i like nice colorways and launch videos :)

Colnago achieved their rep in the 70-80's sponsoring the best teams in pro peloton. the dirty little secret most of those Colnago's were built by outsourced Italian custom builders(sarto). the brand has not innovated since the c40. no future. old man retro machine.

time - great frames bad management/quality control/marketing has destroyed this great company. they make the best pedal system yet the REFUSE to fix the durability issue xpresso cleats. i remember riding the original time magnesium pedal. the cleats never needed replacing.

Seems Colnago thought about disc a bit with the way they approached thru-axle and the hex-lock. So a C-60 disc could also be a good idea. The bikes ride well too, so the disc is a bonus
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels