2017 Road Disc Bike - what would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Heads up the Tarmac has gone away with SCS. New Tarmac version is coming out as well.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

2017 tarmac isnt SCS rear.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Changed from a CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc to a Cervelo R3D.

Both awesome bikes, however, the CAAD definitely felt quicker (had much better wheels though).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

shineplus

by shineplus

I recommend Canyon Ultimate CF SLC Disc.
Visual is the most beautiful!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

ergott wrote:What are you looking to achieve by going disc? I ask as someone that owns both, not trying to be anti disc brake.

I just think if you plan on riding with typical 23-28mm tires and 90% on roads I don't see why you'd bother. I have disc for bad weather and the ability to choose between 700c and 650b wheels on the same bike. The bikes you are asking about aren't really meant for that kind of all road foolishness.

I have a rim brake Tarmac and wouldn't consider going to a disc brake bike for the kind of riding I do on that bike.

I agree with this. My disc bike is for gravel and bad weather. For good weather and roads, yes why bother.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The biggest issue I have with disc brakes... Expecting too much from my rim brakes when I swap bikes haha.
Using Tapatalk

MoPho

by MoPho

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I agree with this. My disc bike is for gravel and bad weather. For good weather and roads, yes why bother.

Why bother having a separate bike for bad weather and gravel?

Why bother having Colnago when a Trek works perfectly fine?

kgt

by kgt

ergott wrote:
kgt wrote:In case you want something of a higher quality than Cervelo, Specialized, Cannondale, Canyon and other mass made in China frames:

You don't believe market hype when it comes to things like aero, but country of origin is something you fall for hook line and sinker.

It's not just about "country of origin". It is about many, many things related to a product's overall quality. Things which are not important to you or things you will never, obviously, understand.

ergott

by ergott

Yeah, okay. Keep telling yourself that. Funny how you said it's not just about country of origin in a post after you just bashed made in China frames.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

MoPho wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:I agree with this. My disc bike is for gravel and bad weather. For good weather and roads, yes why bother.

Why bother having a separate bike for bad weather and gravel?

Why bother having Colnago when a Trek works perfectly fine?

The Trek doesn't come close. 16 year old design
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

MoPho

by MoPho

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
The Trek doesn't come close. 16 year old design

I wasn't referring to yours specifically

jlok

by jlok

jeffy wrote:Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
- would love one of these, but rear QR dropouts put me off (alignment can be a pain .... perhaps not a deal killer)

I'd say the QR alignment "problem" is not as serious as people think. Owned a CAAD12 Disc and found no issue to realign correctly after wheel change. You will learn how to do it with QR easily as an owner.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

ms6073 wrote:KTM Revelator Sky (this is a 2015 model)

That's my last bike. Got size 52. The steering was weired. To be specific, you can't really push the bike from the saddle in a straight way. The front always find sideway. The steering is over-sensitive... Maybe too little trail? And the frameset is too stiff making the ride overly harsh. And it's very heavy without much aero feature... This bike is not recommended.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

QR isn't an issue, just use quality Skewers (not ww ones) and dont use shitty discs that have alignment issues when heat cycled. Close to 10k on my road disc setups and the only time I've had rub was with a cooked disc on rough roads reefing on the bars with an underdone skewer. Thats all the way up at 95kg...
Using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

stang1 wrote:Im in the same dilemma too ..

Would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction

I have narrowed down my choices to whats available for me buy, but I have kind of set my sights on

1) BMC RM01 with di2 hydro - Dura Ace 2018 di2
2) Trek Project 1 Domane SLR di2 hydro as well. - Ultegra6870 di2
3) Cannondale SSHM Evo HM Di2

All 3 bikes are kind of available to me but not in my sizes as they need to order in, which unfortunately means i will have to commit to buy for them to order it in without actually testing the bike itself. There are lower end models of the TREK and BMC available for me to try.

Both BMC and Trek are almost in the same price range, but obviously the trade off is the BMC having some DT Swiss original rims (but shop is happy to buy back and put some enve 4.5s on for a slightly increased sum) but full DA Di2 Hydro 2018 , vs Trek having a Bontrager d3/d5 wheels but Ultegra di2 Hydro only.

Cannondale itself only comes in mech hydro version and will have to buy a new Hydro components / wheels.

The thing putting me off is the online reviews for the BMC RM01 regarding the seat post slippage which is apparently a known issue. Any of you have anymore insight into this?
BMC is aesthetically more integrated and doesn't have gimmicks but its appears that it possess ride quality similar to that of the team machine.

Love the trek but for the price point of P1 with the drivetrain component choices and front end cable disaster ( aesthetics ) , I'm putting the likes mainly on the p1 paint job. Had the old DOMANE with just rear iso and it was such a nice frame to ride.

My question really, is I would like to ride a disc frame mainly for wet weather without worrying about braking issues without sacrificing ride quality - too plush.

Id really appreciate any feedback and insight to assist with my next purchase.

I'd put money on Trek purely for the frameset. I have the Domane 4.5 Disc and the great frameset workmanship (paint and the matte coating, small parts, attention to details) is much appreciated. The frameset is strong and sturdy. My last Cannondale was CAAD12 Disc. Didn't like the paint job (cheap quality)... control was neutral (comparing to Domane Disc and TCR Adv SL Disc).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com