2017 Road Disc Bike - what would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

ergott wrote:There's a reason for the Dura Ace wait. Apparently the braking isn't great. In their attempt to miniaturize the reservoir (goal was same size as cable brakes), the power isn't enough. That and the calipers flex too much. I think they are trying to make Dura Ace as svelte as possible otherwise there's no reason not to get 785. Delays are better than end user product testing so good for them for waiting until it's right.

That's a pity, I was quite happy to see that a non-fugly hydraulic brifter is a possibility. Hope they​ can still do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

i just hope that the Dura Ace hydraulic di2 doesn't rattle like the 785

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

How about a Look 765?
Nice geometry - for a disc bike - with relatively short chain stays. A bit more of an endurance oriented front end than you might like though...

djgarrett21

by djgarrett21

milesthedog wrote:Have you considered the Canyon Aeroroad disc? i mention because you are looking at the Supersix and Focus, which share similar geometries to the Aeroroad, but are far lower in the front than the Ultimate or any Cervelo out there.

Great point. Aeroroad got great marks for comfort from Tour magazine. Canyon has updated their website with weights for the Aeroroad and Ultimate.
AEROAD CF SLX DISC 9.0 LTD: 7.3kg (16.09 lbs)
ULTIMATE CF SLX DISC 9.0 AERO: 7.1kg (15.65 lbs)

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Yep, definitely a weight penalty, though toss on some THM M3 cranks on, some AX semi-deep rims with Tune hubs, and some SRAM etap, and you should have yourself a sub 15lb frame for a 56cm. Or, just go with the Cannondale disc...

L3X

by L3X

ergott wrote:There's a reason for the Dura Ace wait. Apparently the braking isn't great. In their attempt to miniaturize the reservoir (goal was same size as cable brakes), the power isn't enough. That and the calipers flex too much. I think they are trying to make Dura Ace as svelte as possible otherwise there's no reason not to get 785. Delays are better than end user product testing so good for them for waiting until it's right.

Just out of curiosity, what's the source for this statement?

ergott

by ergott

L3X wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what's the source for this statement?

Sorry, can't say.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lovemyway

by lovemyway

djgarrett21 wrote:
milesthedog wrote:Have you considered the Canyon Aeroroad disc? i mention because you are looking at the Supersix and Focus, which share similar geometries to the Aeroroad, but are far lower in the front than the Ultimate or any Cervelo out there.

Great point. Aeroroad got great marks for comfort from Tour magazine. Canyon has updated their website with weights for the Aeroroad and Ultimate.
AEROAD CF SLX DISC 9.0 LTD: 7.3kg (16.09 lbs)
ULTIMATE CF SLX DISC 9.0 AERO: 7.1kg (15.65 lbs)

This one's interesting - according to Canyon the eTap HRD models could appear as early as beginning and half of May (in some cases) and the DA R9120 at the early July. They still didn't put the R9170 models on the website.

madik

by madik

Wondering when does they spotted the issue. It would be extremely complicated to fix those issues by some minor modifications.. If its design problem they really cant do much about it in short time.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

JHeiro

by JHeiro

I can't give enough praise to my Storck Aernario Disc. It's ultra-stiff, reasonably comfortable, handles well especially on technical descents, and is quite light for a disc brake bike. Just spent a week in the French Alps with it, and can't fault a single thing.
In terms of comparison, I also regularly ride a Pinarello Dogma F8, some custom Ti bikes, and have previous experience on Storck Fascenario, Cannondale SuperSix and Synapse, Specialized Tarmac and Focus Izalco.

Downsides of the Storck: price, availability in the US, geometry (you either like it or not), and 9/10mm thru bolts which might limit wheel choice.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just found Van Vugt.
http://vanvugtbicycles.com/

Looks interesting! Reading about his background does not make him seem less trustworthy!
I think i would try this if i had the money.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I'm also on the Aernario Disc. Love the frame, only dislike are the dropouts. Been tempted to drill out the 10mm rear to 12mm, but haven't the nerve yet.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

kgt wrote:
ergott wrote:
kgt wrote:In case you want something of a higher quality than Cervelo, Specialized, Cannondale, Canyon and other mass made in China frames:

You don't believe market hype when it comes to things like aero, but country of origin is something you fall for hook line and sinker.

It's not just about "country of origin". It is about many, many things related to a product's overall quality. Things which are not important to you or things you will never, obviouslyr , understand.

Working in shops that sell multiple brands and getting to go on test/demo rides every year, having the option to take bikes for a week I'd definitely go for the bigger brands.
Personally I've be quite underwhelmed by carbon frames from the Look, Time, Wilier and others. If it were my money I'd be looking at the bigger brands. In general they seem to have less issues and 9/10 the bikes just ride a little nicer.

Never ridden a Cipollini though, they look nice but they're so bloody expensive. Aren't they made in Taiwan or China?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arnoldagdagan

by arnoldagdagan

Any Canyon disc road bikes [emoji468], it's worth the wait and the price.. [emoji106][emoji41][emoji6][emoji108]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romalor

by romalor

tarmackev wrote:
kgt wrote:
ergott wrote:
kgt wrote:In case you want something of a higher quality than Cervelo, Specialized, Cannondale, Canyon and other mass made in China frames:

You don't believe market hype when it comes to things like aero, but country of origin is something you fall for hook line and sinker.

It's not just about "country of origin". It is about many, many things related to a product's overall quality. Things which are not important to you or things you will never, obviouslyr , understand.

Working in shops that sell multiple brands and getting to go on test/demo rides every year, having the option to take bikes for a week I'd definitely go for the bigger brands.
Personally I've be quite underwhelmed by carbon frames from the Look, Time, Wilier and others. If it were my money I'd be looking at the bigger brands. In general they seem to have less issues and 9/10 the bikes just ride a little nicer.

Never ridden a Cipollini though, they look nice but they're so bloody expensive. Aren't they made in Taiwan or China?

Made in Italy noob
How come you don't know that if you work in bike shops