2017 Road Disc Bike - what would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

djgarrett21 wrote:My next bike is going to be disc brake and am looking for opinions and hopefully experience from those who may own some of these bikes. I currently ride a 2013 SuperSix Evo (non-himod). For the frame my list of priorities (in order) are: weight, comfort, and stiffness. Groupset will either be Dura-Ace Di2 or Sram Etap.

Giant TCR Advanced SL
-I test rode the non-isp version for a week. I was surprised how harsh riding it was (compared to my SS).

I got the TCR Adv SL Disc. It's not harsh to my experience.

Harshness subjective rating (1-5):
Domane Disc (1) < TCR Adv SL Disc (2) < CAAD12 Disc (3) < Revelator Sky (5)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Nefarious86 wrote:QR isn't an issue, just use quality Skewers (not ww ones) and dont use shitty discs that have alignment issues when heat cycled. Close to 10k on my road disc setups and the only time I've had rub was with a cooked disc on rough roads reefing on the bars with an underdone skewer. Thats all the way up at 95kg...

Ditto. I have Freeza rotors and XTR QRs. Never have alignment issues with my bike.

jeffy

by jeffy

QRs are "fine", but i *think* 12mm would be better. Obviously i am an idiot but i find manoeuvring the QR 'nubs' into the dropouts annoying (whilst simultaneously slotting the rotors into the caliper ). I use DTs 9/10 mm thru-bolt (thruaxle into QR dropouts) and it is much easier. Had minimal issues with rub and QR, and as others have said using decent skewers (Shimano) has no issue.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

ergott wrote: ...and XTR QRs. Never have alignment issues with my bike.

Amen to that. :thumbup:

TwinSpokes21

by TwinSpokes21

Hmmmm considering one myself. Cipollini Bond disc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycebo

by nycebo

That Cervelo is gorgeous.

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Have you considered the Canyon Aeroroad disc? i mention because you are looking at the Supersix and Focus, which share similar geometries to the Aeroroad, but are far lower in the front than the Ultimate or any Cervelo out there.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

The BMC Roadmachine just has something about it. Playing with one at my lbs and it had a do anything quality about it.

FatCake

by FatCake

Delorre wrote:Scott Addict Premium disc should be a good contender. If it's as good in all the aspects of the non disc version + a little more compliancy, that would be an awesome mix! Problem could be finding stock, when I asked for it in november, stock for Benelux was foreseen in march or something, but only 5 or 6 :o

The ETA for the Scott Addict Disc Premium is April 19th. The wait has been all about the Dura-Ace 9170 gruppo. I ordered mine through my bike sponsor way back in August of last year. This is definitely a dream bike for me, and I plan on keeping this one for a long, long time. It comes stock with 28c Contis. The weight is listed at 16 lbs, but they guesstimated that weight a very long time ago, well before they had an idea about the weight savings from the new Dura-Ace brakes and rotors. Conceivably, the weight could drop all the way down into the 15.3 lb range. We'll see. I'll post pics once it's back from Pioneer for the powermeter install.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

April 19th huh? Please keep us updated, I'd love to see someone actually getting the R9170/eTap HRD before the June. (yeah I saw one eTap Disc ViAS on the forums, but that's all).

jeffy

by jeffy

Likewise, VERY interested in how a Addict Premium Disc builds up .....

ergott

by ergott

There's a reason for the Dura Ace wait. Apparently the braking isn't great. In their attempt to miniaturize the reservoir (goal was same size as cable brakes), the power isn't enough. That and the calipers flex too much. I think they are trying to make Dura Ace as svelte as possible otherwise there's no reason not to get 785. Delays are better than end user product testing so good for them for waiting until it's right.

ms6073

by ms6073

ergott wrote:otherwise there's no reason not to get 785.

Will agree, save for the additional Di2 port that one gains with the 9170 shifters for remote shifters on the drops.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I am waiting for whatever pops up first, I guess.. Let's just hope both solutions will be refined and ready for public use :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lobular

by lobular

I'm with Fogman......2018 or better still 2019 will be the time to make this move. Nothing really stands out at present....