Boonens #and Sagans# Roubaix without disc and Cobra seat post:

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Sweeeet. Want one. :P Here the disc one you can officially buy for comparison:

Nice color but everything else. Hm.
Last edited by Beaver on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZK

by AZK

The geometry on Boonen's frame looks like an absolute race beast. The blue frame looks like an endurance/commute bike?

Do S-Works have the whole H1/H2 Geo like Trek?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

No, this one is especially for him. :(

With the low seat binder, there will be enough flex, even with the classic geo. And it looks so much better. :)

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I have test ridden a Roubaix and quite liked it actually. The front dampening is not noticeable on flat roads and even sprinting. This version that Boonen has looks like it could be a proper racing bike for those who value comfort or are over a certain age
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

lovemyway

by lovemyway

The S-Works Roubaix frameset in Boonens paint is available for purchase: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... nen/134012. Looks like it has the standard geometry of the Roubaix and the disc brakes instead of the rim ones, pictured in the photos.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Disc are not UCI legal so specialized had to make a small run if rim brake frames so they could be used in pro races.

I stopped at the LBS during a ride and they had a new Roubaix just sitting there.. .and it was a 56cm, my size. i took it for a 7 mile ride over some rough road and dirt path. I find the "Future Shock" a gimmick and not impressed. Last Fall I did the same ride on a Domane SL and liked it better.

What's the life cycle of a Specialized frame? We'll know the public's verdict if they do it on the next generation of Roubaix frame.

AJS914

by AJS914

Boonen can't ride the cobra seatpost because it's just too damn ugly.

euan

by euan

oldnslow2 wrote:Disc are not UCI legal so specialized had to make a small run if rim brake frames so they could be used in pro races.

Incorrect.

grumpus

by grumpus

The gold wheel decals really set it off. Surprised it looks like he's only going with 26mm tires. Anyone know what bars those are?

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Don't they have Zertz inserts any more then

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Zakalwe wrote:Don't they have Zertz inserts any more then

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. It seems they have abandoned them on the high end Roubaix's, which is where they originally introduced them if memory serves. A lot of people doubted that they really did anything other than providing a talking point for the salesmen on the showroom floor, and it kind of seems like this is an indirect acknowledgement of that from Spz.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

euan wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:Disc are not UCI legal so specialized had to make a small run if rim brake frames so they could be used in pro races.

Incorrect.

"Disc brake systems are prohibited in road events. However, as indicated by Article 1.3.025, disc brakes are authorised for cyclo-cross events."

ARTICLE 1.3.009
http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What rock are you living under oldnslow2...

Disc's have been used in plenty of UCI racing over the last 12 months.

The rim brake version was born out of the issue of neutral spares and the fact that there are no team cars permitted through various areas. The ability to grab a wheel off a spectator and keep going was the main concern.
Using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

TheKaiser wrote:Yeah, I was wondering about that too. It seems they have abandoned them on the high end Roubaix's, which is where they originally introduced them if memory serves.

My 2003 Specialized Sequoia had Zertz inserts in the fork. I forget when the Roubaix came out but I believe it was 2005 or later. That bike got me into road cycling but I can't say the Zertz had anything to do with it. They did look interesting at the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com