Boonens #and Sagans# Roubaix without disc and Cobra seat post:

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kgt

by kgt

I am happy that finally Roubaix got rid of these ugly zertz inserts...

F45

by F45

The problem with too much flex in the carbon is lack of damping. It will absorb a hit, then spring back and push your butt off the seat. I think the zertz were to provide that damping, too bad they didn't.

by Weenie

euan

by euan

oldnslow2 wrote:
euan wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:Disc are not UCI legal so specialized had to make a small run if rim brake frames so they could be used in pro races.

Incorrect.

"Disc brake systems are prohibited in road events. However, as indicated by Article 1.3.025, disc brakes are authorised for cyclo-cross events."

ARTICLE 1.3.009
http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

As pointed out you were still wrong.
"Step forward the climber and all those who worship at the altar of lightness" - R. Millar

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I stand corrected. Thanks everyone.

Beaver

by Beaver

And another one for Peter Sagan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1mNNRbeDSI

Also a very sweet bike. :thumbup:

Maybe Specialized will offer it to the public - Treks Domane is also availiable in both disc and rim brake version, so why not?

jeffy

by jeffy

kgt wrote:I am happy that finally Roubaix got rid of these ugly zertz inserts...

swapped them for a 50mm under-stem spring (or at least a dummy cover and no spring).

The new Roubaix's are the ugliest bike of the year.

Beaver

by Beaver

20mm suspension with springs designed by McLaren:

I also don't like the disc version, but this Pro-rim-brake: :thumbup:

joejack951

by joejack951

Beaver wrote:Maybe Specialized will offer it to the public - Treks Domane is also availiable in both disc and rim brake version, so why not?

For $4250 you can have Boonen's frame: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... nen/134012

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

joejack951 wrote:
Beaver wrote:Maybe Specialized will offer it to the public - Treks Domane is also availiable in both disc and rim brake version, so why not?

For $4250 you can have Boonen's frame: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... nen/134012

As pointed out before, this is the standard version in the Boonen paint scheme. Yet it still has disc brakes, a sloping top tube and a rather relaxed geometry. Not at all like Boonens' bike.

joejack951

by joejack951

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
joejack951 wrote:

As pointed out before, this is the standard version in the Boonen paint scheme. Yet it still has disc brakes, a sloping top tube and a rather relaxed geometry. Not at all like Boonens' bike.

Whoops! Totally missed that somehow. The description from the main thumbnail Roubaix page doesn't say anything about 'disc' and somehow I managed to completely gloss over it on the product page.

Calnago

by Calnago

I would really like to see geo charts for the actual bike that Boonen was riding to see how it compares to the Roubaix for sale to the public. Just wondering if this is just a paint job on a basic Roubaix, with rim brakes instead of discs. Would also love to have seen a pic of what's underneath the rubber shroud on Boonen's steertube. As a minimum it's a much stiffer spring than standard, or maybe even no spring at all. Although for Roubaix at least he might have welcomed it except for the final sprint if it should have happened. And as far as the one available for sale, I wonder if it's at least got the stiffer spring in the headshock as well.

Ah... I see the last post where it's basically answering my questions above. It's basically a paint job with rim brakes.

And regarding Sagan's Roubaix, I find it a little ironic that he opts for a non sponsor correct super stiff stem, mounted on top of a spring. Again, peel back the rubber please... let's have a peek.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

They are never gonna give the rim brake version to the public. They want us to buy disc brakes, no matter what. They don't want to see that they sell more rim brake versions instead of disc.

Calnago

by Calnago

@Daniel1975: I agree that no one is pushing discs more than Specialized, soon they will buy a "disc tunnel" to prove their claims that only their own "disc tunnel", combined with a healthy dose of marketing spin could verify. :).
However, at least in theory they are, according to UCI rules, supposed to make equipment used in races available to the public. I think Specialized may be softening their push of disc brakes into the peloton, which is good in my opinion. If there's one place they are not needed it is definitely the pro peloton. The dilemma of course to a company like Specialized, so adamantly pushing discs on road bikes, is the marketing quandary presented when the pics of the pros crossing the finish lines of the major road races are not using discs. They want more pics like that of Boonen, earlier this year in Argentina, when he won on a disc braked bike. Till they get those pics on the cover of their brochures and websites, there will always be a question as to just how necessary they are on the finest road bikes when the pros don't want to use them. D'oh!!

Edit: Ok... I just saw this on Velonews...
Re: Sagan's New Roubaix...
Quote from Velonews under the pic... "Specialized's Future Shock technology basically acts as a piston in the headtube for around 20mm of travel. Specialized claims the spring only compresses from vertical forces - like those felt from bumpy roads - and not the lateral forces from sprinting."

Please... "Specialized claims... blah, blah, blah", thus absolving the writer from any responsibility as to whether or not it's actually true, but retaining that ever important relationship with the big advertising budgets. I get it, that's what any magazine does... ok.
But I'm calling utter BS on this statement. Has Specialized's Marketing/dev team ever actually watched the bikes of the likes of any sprinter in slo mo action... what their bikes are actually doing up front, with the forces guys like Kittel, Greipel and Cavendish are exerting on their entire bike. After watching that, they still manage to come up with a statement that there's no forces being applied to their "spring" from sprinting, as if these guys are just gently swaying the bike from side to side without generating any vertical force at all on the spring. Please... carry on.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

@Calnago: The geometry of Boonens' bike is definitely different than the "normal" Roubaix. This can easily be seen.

Concerning the existence of the spring: Eurosport had the entire race from the start and you could see Boonen next to Degenkolb in the start formation. Boonen was demonstrating the travel of the system to Degenkolb, so you could see that there definitely was a spring in it. It was said by the team though that he had a custom spring tuned to his liking. It didn't seem to be extremely hard to compress it though.

Btw., Degenkolb had his rear isospeed at the softest setting, yet he started the race on his Madone and switched to the Domane before the cobbles started.

jeffy

by jeffy

can we just post Boonen's and Sagan's Roubaix to the Freaks thread and be done with them?

by Weenie