Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 pm 

Wondering how the shift action of the Potenza levers compares to the current Record Shifters?

I know that Potenza has a lower profile side shift lever similar to EPS and will shift one cog at a time, unlike Record which can do up to 5 shifts. Potenza would seem to be a less expendive groupset than Record and was wondering if the feel of the Potenza shift is correspondingly inferior to Record. Anyone tried out both and could comment?

I'm considering swapping my Record for Potenza levers as I think I prefer the ergonomics of it compated to Record.

Many thanks

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm 

the ergonomics is exactly the same on those two levers, so i don't understand why?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 pm 

I think the question is about how the shifter movements feel and whether the differing thumb tab makes a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:20 pm 

i have used the 10 speed veloce with the old type shifter, it always shiftet fast, a lot easier to move than the new levers, but the new levers works just perfectly with the way you can drop down the cassette.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 pm 

Just to clarify. I know the ergonomics of the two shift levers is the same. What I was asking was if there are internal mechanical differences between the the two groupset levers that shows up as a different feel to the shifting. I like the idea of the EPS-style of thumb lever on the Potenza over Record, but not if it means a poorer feel to the lever action.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am 

Surely Chorus is the answer here?

Bar a few weight saving bits of Ti and extra cut-outs on the levers, it's an identical groupo.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am 

BiaNeutron wrote:
Just to clarify. I know the ergonomics of the two shift levers is the same. What I was asking was if there are internal mechanical differences between the the two groupset levers that shows up as a different feel to the shifting. I like the idea of the EPS-style of thumb lever on the Potenza over Record, but not if it means a poorer feel to the lever action.

I have Athena levers with the same mechanism as Potenza.

Shift to a larger sprocket at the back - no difference to the higher groups.

Shift to a smaller sprocket - the thumb shifter uses the Escape mechanism so you get one smaller sprocket at a time, no multiple shift in a single action. The EPS-style droopy thumb button is comfortable and IMO gets in the way of your hands less than the more sticky-out chorus/record/SR style. Worth noting that the derailleur doesn't move until you release the button. Also you don't need to worry about how hard to press, mash it as hard as you like and you still get one shift.

As for shift quality, assuming you don't screw up the cabling somehow it shouldn't be less than perfect.