When racing, how important is comfort?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jih

by jih

If you're doing hard efforts on short rides and chain gangs, raise the bars until you can spend 50% plus in the drops.

This way, you're just as low (if not a little lower) on the short/hard rides but you can get a more relaxed position for road rides.

Watch any local crit (roughly an hour long) - quite a lot of the riders will do the whole event in the drops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

You can also, for example, in a chaingang, stay on the tops in the middle of the group, and go into the drops whenever you are on the front. Suddenly having the hoods really low doesn't matter so much.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Any higher than this and I'm not comfortable at all. My cross bike has the same reach/stack and has a 100 -7 stem as per the fitters instructions. I spend more time in the drops on that bike than I would normally and only use hoods when I need to but it's not as comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

jih

by jih

Seems strange that you find lower tyre pressures and higher bars less comfortable. Usually it'd be the opposite, within reason.

Sounds like there could be something more fundamental wrong with your fit. Like using a saddle you just don't get on with.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I haven't tried lower psi yet but today will be my first ride on the new wheel/tire setup.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

RyanH

by RyanH

How many miles per week do you ride?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

A good week, 300.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

hack

by hack

jih wrote:
hack wrote:Weigh in around 180lbs and run between 100 to 105 front and rear. Some guys I race with are similar in weight, but run less pressure. I don't like how the bike feels when the pressure is much lower though. Almost too compliant.

That's quite a high pressure. I'd recommend dropping to 90 and 95 and see how that feels. It may also be faster - better the tyres absorb the vibrations than your body does.

If you're having discomfort after 100km, there's more of an issue than a stiff frame at play. Virtually any frame should be able to be set up so that a regular, fit rider can do centuries without a great deal of discomfort. I've done several rides over 200km, and a few over 250km on my Cervelo s5 - ending tired but not beaten.

I'd suggest:

• Lower pressure
  • Perhaps, wider rims. Wide tyres on narrow rims could be causing the strange handling you're getting at lower pressures. Then lower the pressure some more.
  • Raise the bars a bit. If you like being low on short rides, just use the drops more and the hoods less

Edit: I converted your 180lbs to measurements I understand. Depending on your height, 80kg is fairly heavy for a cyclist. Unless you're tall, could losing weight be an option? That would reduce strain on your body in general. Of course, if you're just tall, ignore this.

The pressure values are what I run and am comfortable with them and don't have bike discomfort like the RP. I've settled on those values after testing various other pressures and have found them to be a sweetspot in terms of comfort and bike feel. In some instances, I'll drop a bit of pressure if the roads warrant.

Regarding weight, I'm 190cm/6'3" and like my tire pressure, I'm comfortable.

jih

by jih

hack wrote:
Regarding weight, I'm 190cm/6'3" and like my tire pressure, I'm comfortable.

Oops, I mistook you for the OP when I gave the suggestion above. Yes, indeed, if you're happy then no need to change. At your height 80kg isn't heavy either.