When racing, how important is comfort?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaReef

by DaReef

Reiterating what others have said, the 25s will make a difference. Checking the fit wouldn't hurt. I've found a saddle comfortable on a 50 mile ride is just as comfortable on a 200 mile ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
madik wrote:What is your most common discomfort issue?

Fatigue, saddle soreness, neck stiffness.

I don't think the recommendations for wider tires with less pressure are going to help the neck stiffness. For saddle soreness, you may have to try a different saddle.

Are you doing anything for general core and upper body fitness? Maybe that is the solution?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

AJS914 wrote:Are you doing anything for general core and upper body fitness? Maybe that is the solution?

I don't do anything of the sort but I'm also not sedentary.

I have had motor vehicle accidents in the past that have left me with a sensitive back and neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

Its really quite interesting because the last thing you may expect could be causing you issues.

I find I can ride a variety of positions as long as my weight is distributed evenly and comfortably along the various contact points.

Your saddle may be fine, except the position may need to be tweaked to take weight off it and back onto your hands.

Alternatively, your saddle may be the wrong shape for your backside, meaning there is already too much weight on your hands.

Is a bike fit out of the question? It could save you a lot of hassle and could also save you a lot of money.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

thedonnydino wrote:
Is a bike fit out of the question? It could save you a lot of hassle and could also save you a lot of money.

A bike fit isn't out of the question and I'm actually considering it despite getting a Retul done last year. Not convinced the fitter did his best for me. Shortly after the Retul fit I switched frames to better suit my new stack/reach numbers he provided and for a few weeks it was good but then my flexibility increased late in the summer and I was able to get a lot more aero and ride with arms at 90 degrees for long periods of time. This was the start of my stem angle journey and I went through several angles finally settling on a 110mm -17 although 115mm would be perfect.

This time around, fit wise, I may go for the Guru fit or a Trek precision fit with foot pressure mapping.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

As silly as it sounds I used to get a sore neck from tilting my head down slightly to view my garmin. I ride to cadence so I did it often. A simple $15 extender for the mount remedied the problem

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

VTR1000SP2 wrote:A bike fit isn't out of the question and I'm actually considering it despite getting a Retul done last year. Not convinced the fitter did his best for me.

I think you are on the money. Sounds like a lot has changed.

Maybe ask around regional forums and groups for who has the most experience. I think there is an art to fitting that comes with experience. Retul/BG/Precision are all just tools. It's how that data is interpreted that is of value.

AJS914

by AJS914

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
thedonnydino wrote:Shortly after the Retul fit I switched frames to better suit my new stack/reach numbers he provided and for a few weeks it was good but then my flexibility increased late in the summer and I was able to get a lot more aero and ride with arms at 90 degrees for long periods of time. This was the start of my stem angle journey and I went through several angles finally settling on a 110mm -17 although 115mm would be perfect.

So you got a fit and all was good and then you lowered your stem quite a bit? Why not just try going back to where you were or at least half way there and see if you have more comfort?

Also, some basic upper body and core conditioning will help you immensely.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

AJS914 wrote:

So you got a fit and all was good and then you lowered your stem quite a bit? Why not just try going back to where you were or at least half way there and see if you have more comfort?

Also, some basic upper body and core conditioning will help you immensely.

I got the fit, switched frames, felt I could get more aero and then switched stems to get lower.

I think some core exercises and strength conditioning may help, certainly can't hurt and from I've read is necessary to build muscle mass as we age.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Patto

by Patto

I commute and do longer rides on a Domane with 28mm tyres. I could live without the iso speed but 25mm tyres would be minimum. The fit is such that my torso is 45-50 degrees. I get aches in my shoulders if not careful so arms are at 45 degrees also. I can ride forever like this with minimal discomfort.

Racing is on a canyon aeroad and my torso is at 30- 0 degrees. Hand neck and shoulder discomfort starts at about 30 minutes but can be kept in check with 5 second reliefs.

For a hilly ride I would be looking at a more upright fit.

Good luck with your race.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Patto wrote:I commute and do longer rides on a Domane with 28mm tyres. I could live without the iso speed but 25mm tyres would be minimum. The fit is such that my torso is 45-50 degrees. I get aches in my shoulders if not careful so arms are at 45 degrees also. I can ride forever like this with minimal discomfort.

Racing is on a canyon aeroad and my torso is at 30- 0 degrees. Hand neck and shoulder discomfort starts at about 30 minutes but can be kept in check with 5 second reliefs.

For a hilly ride I would be looking at a more upright fit.

Good luck with your race.

Thanks Patto.

If the long rides on the S3 prove to be too uncomfortable, I may opt for a Domane. Hopefully the pro endurance geometry trickles down to the SL.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

by 11.4

Weighing in a little late, but it seems that what ails you isn't your bike or tires or tire pressure but fit, position, and fitness. I'd suggest you ease up on your position and do the longer miles. And do a re-fit. You may be fit properly for a short road race but not for a long one. And you may not have the fitness to be comfortable over longer miles. You have to ride the distances and your fitness will come, driving comfort with it.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

^This

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

If I had to guess, you are one of those sensitive riders. Welcome to the club. My first suggestion to you would be understand the dynamics of Steve Hog bike fit method before you see any bike fitter and before you start tweaking your position https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/faq
My second suggestion to you would be to do longer miles at slower pace, solo, with no distractions to analyze your sensitive areas.
From my direct experience, your brain doesn't trigger discomfort during a race. My goal is to fight for the position. If you are not moving up, you are moving back. I'm in the race to attack, close gaps, leads out, etc. In other word, you suffer enough that discomfort isn't something you'd think about during the race hence I suggest solo rides at a slower pace, listen to your body and take notes.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

micky

by micky

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:Are you doing anything for general core and upper body fitness? Maybe that is the solution?

I don't do anything of the sort but I'm also not sedentary.

I have had motor vehicle accidents in the past that have left me with a sensitive back and neck.

Im not sedentary either and actually do an active job but last January I found myself with a "blocked back" all of a sudden (I always had some lower back pain but never that serious).

I do have an aero frame (although Walmart category) but done 6 hours on it without problems and race crits/whatever on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com