Lightning cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bullet

by Bullet

How are you getting on with your cranks? And what length are they for that weight?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

380gr with spider is on par with s-works crank with carbon spider. S-works is quite old and should be cheaper.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

I have an OSBB frame and have been looking for non-specialized cranks that do not require an adapter. So far I’ve been out of luck until I found this option and saw that they offered OSBB as an option for the cranks. Does anyone know if these cranks are the only OSBB cranks beside Specialized? Also, if you get the OSBB cranks is the spindle 61mm so no adapter is needed or is it a 68mm spindle that requires the spacer current specialied bikes with the Praxis spacer?

otoman

by otoman

The bottom bracket they provide as their OSBB option is the right width for the Lightning crank on an OSBB frame, no extra spacers needed. I've used that setup myself. Works great.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

otoman wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:44 am
The bottom bracket they provide as their OSBB option is the right width for the Lightning crank on an OSBB frame, no extra spacers needed. I've used that setup myself. Works great.
Does it look clean like the top of the line s works bikes that have cranks that are flush against the frame?

Edit: It’s a post 2015 frame so if it’s converted to BB30 through epoxied cups then I suppose I only need to purchase a BB30 version with BB30 bearings?

otoman

by otoman

I’d confirm with Lightning but that sounds accurate.

The “look” on the DS doesn’t matter so you must be asking about the NDS. The BB shell does protrude from the frame, akin to a standard BSA look. The NDS preload adjustment collar snugs against it and looks clean. The Lightning crank is essentially a BB386 so the spindle is much longer than an S-Works crank. The Q factor is still very low on the Lightnings though. Heel clearance is what suffers a bit so if you’re a toes out cyclist, they may not be for you.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

otoman wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 am
... The Q factor is still very low on the Lightnings though. ...
Whatcha smokin' there?
Lightning cranks have an outrageously wide Q Factor for their road cranks.
The new Road V2 cranks came out to 160mm actual, no better than the V1.

otoman

by otoman

https://fairwheelbikes.com/lightning-ca ... nkset-v-1/
Nice response, you're such a well informed and thoughtful gentleman.

144 mm q-factor for V1.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

Sorry to resurect old thread - i need a dimensions of the aluminium pedal wasers that come with gen1 lightning cranks. can anyone please measure theirs?