Crank Bearing Puller for SRM Campagnolo Crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi
I just bought a park tool for pulling bearings on a Campagnolo Ultra Torque crank. CBP-3. Worked fine on NDS but won't fit on drive side.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a tool that does fit? This is a pre 2015 SRM crank as pictured below.

Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

jbentley

by jbentley

I used this on my power2max which looks very similar:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/campagnolo-bearing-puller-set.htm

I did need to grind the arms down slightly to get them to fit behind the bearing, but it worked in the end

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I just ground down the ends of the park puller until it fitted. Works perfectly.

Where are you based?

kode54

by kode54

you may need to remove the SRM. the cover on the PM is too thick.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Like @jbentley above, same solution, different name…

Super B TB-BP10 Campagnolo bearing puller and bearing installation set

The puller arms are held together with nuts/bolts, not rivets, so you can remove one arm and reassemble it in the recess around the bearing on the power meter. No need to grind down the tabs. It’s fiddly, but it works.

Also, good God man! Clean those chainrings before posting pictures like that. Think of the children! :wink:
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, think of the children! :)

Here's my tools for dealing with Campy BB bearings... from VAR. Probably overkill if you just want to remove them and replace them, but the bearing puller below (2nd from left) does fit nicely into the SRM recess and grabs the bearing from all around itself, not just 2 or 3 prongs. Pulls it off super smooth, and you could use it again if you want. If you just want to clean them up, it's not necessary to remove them however, so I'm assuming you're replacing. I've actually never had to replace a set of CULT bearings due to wear yet.

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

The very problem of high end, long-lived bearings like CULT is the resulting trade-off between tool price and frequency of use.

Simply file 2-3mm off each of the Park angled teeth, and it will work.

You can still reuse bearings afterwards.

mrgray

by mrgray

Flash lighting very unforgiving but yes, terribly dirty.

Which leads to the issue perhaps. Nds was getting crunchy.

I tried a little oil and it does seem smoother. But still not smooth. So I think they may actually need replacement. I'm going to try cleaning them up and taking a photo. The spacing of the balls does appear to be out.

I wish I had been able find that campagnolo tool online. Any tips on where to buy it.

Though I think colnago wins. Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

Ok so not an official campagnolo thing but still, super b looks very nice.

Silly me wonders off looking for a new thing to buy. But Ghisallo has suggested using the park tool but ground down. Thank you! I am in Sydney Ghisallo.

I did have a look for that VAR tool. I'm not sure they offer it anymore. Weirdly they had a bearing puller for BB30 crank but not campag.

I will get onto the grinding business.

Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If it's just dirty, get some of this stuff and flush it out... like I did with all the packing grease that SRM stuffs into the CULT bearings... then a couple drops of light synthetic oil and you're good to go...

Before...

After flushing and blowing out with compressed air....

Unless I'm actually replacing them, I clean them out while attached to the crank.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Calnago wrote:Here's my tools for dealing with Campy BB bearings...

Dude, even your calipers are above average. You’re making us all look bad. :D

@mrgray, sent you a PM re. where to find the Super B tool.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well it's good my mechanical skills are above average, since that's the only reason the rest of the group waits for me (sometimes) at the top of hills.

I learned long ago that good quality tools makes working on bikes so much more enjoyable and productive.

mrgray

by mrgray

ok so i cleaned it up a bit (bearing not crank).

without any oil in it, i actually had it free spinning. now with a tiny drop of that fancy oil NFS, it is not spinning much anymore but i presume thats irrelevant. so it seems fine and everything and all balls are there in the spacer but every now and then it sticks on something. not all consistent.

i might mount it back up, put the crank back on the training bike and see how i go but god it is a greasy shit show and so on the other hand i might just put a new bearing on.

cranks might have done several thousand km's on kickr bike and might have done 15000 prior to me getting them (based on state of crank itself). so who knows, maybe they do need changing.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

karmaz

by karmaz

mrgray wrote:Ok so not an official campagnolo thing but still, super b looks very nice.

Silly me wonders off looking for a new thing to buy. But Ghisallo has suggested using the park tool but ground down. Thank you! I am in Sydney Ghisallo.

I did have a look for that VAR tool. I'm not sure they offer it anymore. Weirdly they had a bearing puller for BB30 crank but not campag.

I will get onto the grinding business.

You couldn't find it because it's camouflaged as DR-10100 Fork crown race extractor :D

"- also suitable for removing Campagnolo and Fulcrum Ultra Torque and Power Torque crankset cartridge bearings"

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks! now found it available for sale. it is quite pricey. i think i'll grind down the park tool but no doubt it looks a lovely piece of kit.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com